British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Reading blocked from Entering NDL

Its crazy to think even the teams that have gone in the last 20 years

Newport, Reading, Exeter, Oxford, Trelawny, Hull, Workington, Arena, Rye , Coventry , Stoke, Buxton just off the top of my head. Probably more. 

Used to love the bank holiday meetings vs the likes of Reading and remembering the crowds at Smallmead and Exeter when the Wasps were in town when they first came back was like nothing seen since IMO... used to flood the places yellow . 

Good times and times that will never come back around again sadly. The sport in the UK is dying on its arse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Newport, Reading, Exeter, Oxford, Trelawny, Hull, Workington, Arena, Rye , Coventry , Stoke, Buxton just off the top of my head. Probably more. 

Even worse when adding Boston, Weymouth, Sittingbourne Crusaders and as you said likely others too to the list. Almost as many 2nd sides from clubs have run in the NL and been pulled out plus of course the clubs that have folded and been fortunately resurrected like Brum, IOW & Plymouth.

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Rob, we've lost so many 'friends' in the south east since i started going. Last time i looked it was pushing the 20 mark.

Yes, it's quite agonising. I think at least we'll get Rye House back. All in good time. A case of literally waiting for the dust to settle, I suspect.

5 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

I cant for the life of me understand the logic of this refusal by the speedway hierarchy, what harm does a Team racing out of a near neighbours track do to the Sport ?. Is it because the management of the proposed Team are not part of the establishment ?, I ask this because i can honestly see no other reason for the refusal given that the people behind the application are/have been actively looking for there own Track. Indeed where is there a problem with Teams track sharing if thats what they want to do ?, Jeez Coventry FC are playing at Birminghams FC,s ground this season nowt wrong with that if it allows a Club to remain in existance. If a Team can be viable running from another Track why shouldnt it be allowed, in fact it has many advantages by allowing Teams to gauge if there is enough support for a club to return, it allows young riders to get experience, it allows promotions to learn the ropes,  but NO the hierarchy and i use that word because i refuse to recognise the BSPA represents the name it has given itself, because the most important word in bsPa is the P and most of them wouldnt know what Promote meant if it looked them in the face.

To summarise, we can have a Team named Swindon Sprockets with 1 man and his dog watching, but we cant have a Team named Reading Racers racing out of Swindon with a 100+ watching because the BSPA dont like the name despite actively looking/searching for there own Track. I think there is more to this than meets the eye, but we will never get to know the real reasons behind the hierarchys refusal.. In the interests of the sport could/should have been used to allow Reading to race, but NO not according to the little people at the bspa..

Good luck with your efforts to everyone down at Reading, hopefully something may come up soon, Im sure you have contacted every Rugby, Football, Sports Team in the area to see if they would consider hosting Speedway, just another way of meeting the little peoples rule apertaining to actively searching for a new Track.. 

While it is enormously upsetting to see the search for a new track fail, at least for now, at least the Heathens' fans had another decade with a team to support. No harm was done by Cradley's time at Monmore, unless there was a definitely identifiable drop in Wolves' attendances as a result. 

The point is, what harm did it do? What damage did it make to speedway's reputation?  What harm would Reading racing at Swindon have done? What difference is there to Coventry at Leicester?

Part of the reason why Boston was reincarnated at King's Lynn was the argument that it was hard to get people to get behind a reserve side. However, using Boston instead gave their fans a team of their own once more. 

The benefits to the surviving supporters are huge, but then, who cares about them........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinny said:

Used to love the bank holiday meetings vs the likes of Reading and remembering the crowds at Smallmead and Exeter when the Wasps were in town when they first came back was like nothing seen since IMO... used to flood the places yellow . 

Good times and times that will never come back around again sadly. The sport in the UK is dying on its arse. 

We have lost our heartlands or seen them hugely harmed. We have not only lost London but the surrounding area apart from Sittingbourne which is quite a way out. We have lost the M4 corridor from Reading to Newport with the exception of Swindon which can't be taken for granted to survive. In the West Midlands Wolverhampton and Birmingham battle on in the absence of Coventry and Cradley.

These represent the real crisis in speedway, not team names.

as I understand it the league is split between standalones and junior teams and as such the former wanted loads of fixtures and the later wanting fewer. the addition of another team would of suited some but not others. what we will never know is would all the declared teams have run if another team had entered due to extra fixture. I am not defending the BSPA as I do believe more teams = more opportunity for younger riders which in the long term could lead to less doubling and trebling up just my take on what has been said publicly by the teams and Bspa . On a footnote to all this the Bspa is all the teams and they all have a vote 

16 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

On a footnote to all this the Bspa is all the teams and they all have a vote 

Except those that haven't been granted entry, e.g. Reading presumably

5 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Except those that haven't been granted entry, e.g. Reading presumably

yep but unfortunately they don't exist as an entity so wouldn't get a vote . it is all madness though more teams has to be the way forward

53 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

On a footnote to all this the Bspa is all the teams and they all have a vote 

In terms of entry into the league yes but this attempt was quashed before that stage was reached i believe so most likely from the mafia once again, if there was justifiable concerns about finances, race nights, location etc then fair enough but a stupid naming issue is just daft. As ever im sure there are loop holes and the Swindon 'Reading' Racers would be allowed to take to the track if all other citeria were met.

9 hours ago, mac101 said:

And now with planing Consent approved  for 80 houses on the Edinburgh monarchs track they might be a one season wonder in the nl 

https://planning.westlothian.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OVSOU9RJGAW00

Interesting that the pre-app consultation states the Armadale Stadium owner will keep Speedway going as long as it remains financially viable it states 

“However it is not the intention of the Stadium owner to stop the speedway from taking place. The whole reason for this application is to avoid a re-designation of the site in the emerging Local Development Plan to an inappropriate Open Space Designation. The owner feels that Planning permission in Principle for Residential development would actually protect his investment in the Stadium for a longer period of time and give piece of mind that if the Stadium were to close another use could be found for the site.”

Edited by peckover
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:47 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

An essential part of the return of speedway to Rye House in 2000 was the entry of the nomadic Rockets team to the CL the year before which proved clearly and emphatically that there was still a workable fanbase. Sadly Cradley weren't able to do the same.

There is a fine line between a genuine attempt to revive a track, as with Weymouth and Scunthorpe in open events in the 2000s and just putting a side out with an old name to make money or was just an enthusiast's dream.

Even if that was the case, can't see anything wrong with that!

• Thanks 1

Personally I cannot think of ONE genuine reason why Reading couldn't race NL matches at Swindon!

Utter madness by the BSPA! I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a speedway fan at times like these!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Even if that was the case, can't see anything wrong with that!

Not if they're pretending to be helping speedway when all they are doing is filling their pockets. There is plenty wrong with making money if it damages other tracks and the sport's reputation as a whole. There is more to life, and sport than money.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

17 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Not if they're pretending to be helping speedway when all they are doing is filling their pockets. There is plenty wrong with making money if it damages other tracks and the sport's reputation as a whole. There is more to life, and sport than money.

This discussion is like flares. If you wait long enough they'll come round again. :blink: