British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Reading blocked from Entering NDL

11 hours ago, peckover said:

Interesting that the pre-app consultation states the Armadale Stadium owner will keep Speedway going as long as it remains financially viable it states 

“However it is not the intention of the Stadium owner to stop the speedway from taking place. The whole reason for this application is to avoid a re-designation of the site in the emerging Local Development Plan to an inappropriate Open Space Designation. The owner feels that Planning permission in Principle for Residential development would actually protect his investment in the Stadium for a longer period of time and give piece of mind that if the Stadium were to close another use could be found for the site.”

Spoke to some people "in the know" this is not a new application, this is just a renewal of the previous permission to develop the site. Part of the plans state it cant be built on until extra schools are built in the area, and there are none planned for anytime soon.

So whilst there is a sword over the clubs head, I get the impression that there is no imminent risk of closure.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, False dawn said:

This discussion is like flares. If you wait long enough they'll come round again. :blink:

Apologies. I was trying to help people understand the situation. I gave you the benefit of the doubt first time. 

Best of luck to the Racers. It can be achieved. I shall leave you all to it.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

16 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Even if that was the case, can't see anything wrong with that!

Correct...

A positive, well ran, entertaining Speedway experience, which gives riders opportunity for track time and to make money, and makes money for whoever is putting on the show can never be a bad thing surely?

Shouldn't that be the aim for every track? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Not if they're pretending to be helping speedway when all they are doing is filling their pockets. There is plenty wrong with making money if it damages other tracks and the sport's reputation as a whole. There is more to life, and sport than money.

If people like CVS & Nigel Pearson involved with Cradley then surely, with their knowledge & contacts, an area could have been found for their home. While they were renting Monmore(and at times Perry Bar), they drew in decent crowds, paid top money to decent teams of riders while they were successful. As the bubble eventually burst as others caught up, their pockets bulging, they decided to ease up & walk away. A season away, no league entered but just the trophy, were token gestures to the fans of Cradley who deserved more.

The brutal honest truth is the BSPA don't like "ghost" teams. Now that Cradley have gone they have probably put their foot down. That said they still seem happy enough to take the £300? or whatever it is now for these teams to enter the development league's. It used to be on the grounds that they had 1 year to find a venue. If Reading have land fair play to them. I hope it goes well. But some of these "ghost" teams have absolutely no chance in finding land and even if they did it would probably be financial suicide. If my memory serves me right no new track (if we take Belle Vue out) has opened since Kent in 2013? That is a long time. There would always be a new track opening up every other year until the turn of the last decade. 

On the subject of Ghost teams how did Lakeside and Rye House get away with calling their joint NL team Hackney a few years ago? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Apologies. I was trying to help people understand the situation. I gave you the benefit of the doubt first time. 

Best of luck to the Racers. It can be achieved. I shall leave you all to it.

Come on Rob. I got out of line. You showed me the error of my ways. I apologised.

I was amused, here, that people started saying almost the exactly same things I had, and the conversation seemed to be rerunning itself.

No comment about your response. I had already acknowledged your better knowledge on this subject.

6 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Fellow posters. It would be remiss of me not to point out what RobMcCaffery has said earlier in this thread. I, like many other posters, dislike what the BSPA has decided to do in preventing a nomad Reading team from entering the NDL. However, there are other factors.

It's only 4 pages. Read the full thread.

Edited by False dawn

4 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

The brutal honest truth is the BSPA don't like "ghost" teams. Now that Cradley have gone they have probably put their foot down. That said they still seem happy enough to take the £300? or whatever it is now for these teams to enter the development league's. It used to be on the grounds that they had 1 year to find a venue. If Reading have land fair play to them. I hope it goes well. But some of these "ghost" teams have absolutely no chance in finding land and even if they did it would probably be financial suicide. If my memory serves me right no new track (if we take Belle Vue out) has opened since Kent in 2013? That is a long time. There would always be a new track opening up every other year until the turn of the last decade. 

On the subject of Ghost teams how did Lakeside and Rye House get away with calling their joint NL team Hackney a few years ago? 

Letting a team enter the league called 'Hackney' was a joke. You might as well of called them 'New Cross'. At least the likes of Boston and Cradley were actively trying to find land to build a new track.

35 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Letting a team enter the league called 'Hackney' was a joke. You might as well of called them 'New Cross'. At least the likes of Boston and Cradley were actively trying to find land to build a new track.

Yes but......

Like all these things it's very hard to be black or white in the final judgement. For example. I'm a Bees fan. Our "home", since 1928, is still there in Brandon. The stadium, the track, everything. Granted it would take a deal of time, effort and money to restore it to working order but there are some splendid folks working tremendously hard to get us the right to race there again. Which category do we fall into?

22 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Not if they're pretending to be helping speedway when all they are doing is filling their pockets. There is plenty wrong with making money if it damages other tracks and the sport's reputation as a whole. There is more to life, and sport than money.

Shouldn't the aim of every speedway promoter be to make money?

Drove past Brandon today and still get to see speedway at other tracks but miss my Friday night there :(