British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Roman Matousek.RIP.

Blimey, bit of a shock .Rode for every point.  My age. Thoughts are with his family.

• Like 2

Tertibly sad, and so terribly young...

God what a  massive shock , a real racer  and a great character   RIP Roman. It makes you put thing's into perspective we should all cherish life and try to make everyday worthwhile.

• Like 2

As strong as an ox..

And as mad as a box of frogs...

Fear less and Box office...

RIP Roman..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the sports true characters, who you really couldn’t take your eyes of of him on track. He was pretty handy on an ice bike too. Has to be said, he had the strongest grip known to man - you truly knew when he had shaken your hand. 

RIP Roman

• Like 1

You can watch it on YouTube but the scrap he had with Sean Wilson at Sheffield is one of my most memorable nights at Speedway, taking his protective gear off while pointing at Sean as he made his way back to the pits... pure theatre or box office as they say these days.

I don't think we ever really saw the best of him in this country, seemed to come and go... but when he was on a fast bike was a match for the best

• Like 2

RIP Roman Matousek

Concur with the comments about him being a strong lad - recall it being said he had the strongest forearms in Speedway at the time and you certainly not want to arm wrestle him !!

An entertainer for certain - never a dull moment when Roman was on track - not sure his own teammates were entirely comfortable riding with him ? lol

I see to remember him as being essentially a 5-6 point rider who showed glimpses of better talent on occasion - recall one meeting at Coventry where he was a reserve and took 4 rides on the trot against some team - the first three races won in blistering form and the fourth he was leading until the Bike went bang big-time - never the same rider after that as believe it was a catastrophic and expensive bike loss.

55 Years of age too young for anyone to pass away - thoughts are with his family.

• Like 2

He might of been an entertainer and box office but what he done to Glasgow’s Robert Nagy one night was a disgrace 

• Like 2

From what I remember of the Nagy incident, tempers were running high from a previous coming together earlier in the meeting. For some reason they were both put into a race that I’m sure they shouldn’t have been in (although it was a long time ago, so I could be wrong) - neither rider gave any quarter on the run to the first bend and the resultant accident was horrific

• Like 1

His first visit to Hull in 1995 I think was just after his coming together with Nagy (who ironically rode for Hull in 1996) and he was soundly booed on the parade. Big shame him passing on, Roman was defo an all-action rider, always entertaining to watch.  RIP....

Edited by martinmauger
aded info

Interesting article in 'Backtrack' some years agp with Czech International Zdenek Majstr who in his capacity as advisor was quoted:

"One of the blokes I had under my wing was Roman. He was a gifted rider but a complete nutcase! I couldn't handle that brat and left. AK Slany couldn't handle him either, so they sent him to Prague. And they couldn't handle him either!"

RIP Roman for all the memories you left.

Edited by steve roberts

Roman was a superb rider and one of the most entertaining riders I have ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching the sport. I honestly would have paid to watch him ride round on his own.

He was brilliant in those two years when the Tigers were last in the top flight and a couple of times won run-offs for the bonus point against all the odds. From memory, Jimmy Nilsen and Chris Louis were two of his victims.

I also recall Alan Grahame trying to get round the outside of him on the third bend at Owlerton in a last heat decider and Roman just didn't turn, forcing Alan to slide off, throwing his race shirt into the crowd when he won one of the bonus point run offs and conning someone into touching the tapes and punching the air when his rival was excluded.

Thanks for the memories Roman. RIP

• Like 1

I saw Roman racing on ice. It took a while but once he learned to turn left there were a lot of relieved opponents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1