British Speedway Forum
iris123

Ove Fundin interview 1960, Norwich

Hi Iris 123, thanks for the links-great to hear the Ove interview-and there were more World titles yet to come. A thing that struck me was the voice of the interviewer-what we called posh-I guess regional accents hadn't come into the British TV (Except for Eddie Waring and rugby league). Here in Canada , except for Quebec everyone sounds the same -whether you are in B.C. or Nova Scotia, even though they are about 6,000 miles apart. I've been here so long I think I can just detect a Newfoundland accent . Amazing to me that in a small country like England there are so many regional accents-glad that folks aren't ashamed for the way they speak any more now and  don't try try to adopt a BBC accent!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi Iris 123, thanks for the links-great to hear the Ove interview-and there were more World titles yet to come. A thing that struck me was the voice of the interviewer-what we called posh-I guess regional accents hadn't come into the British TV (Except for Eddie Waring and rugby league). Here in Canada , except for Quebec everyone sounds the same -whether you are in B.C. or Nova Scotia, even though they are about 6,000 miles apart. I've been here so long I think I can just detect a Newfoundland accent . Amazing to me that in a small country like England there are so many regional accents-glad that folks aren't ashamed for the way they speak any more now and  don't try try to adopt a BBC accent!!!!!!!!!!!

Ove on the other hand is speaking very good English in the interview. This is typical of someone from Scandinavia. I was in Sweden a couple of years ago and it was frankly embarrassing how well the locals spoke English even in the rural areas, compared to the half a dozen Swedish words that I picked up.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Split said:

Ove on the other hand is speaking very good English in the interview. This is typical of someone from Scandinavia. I was in Sweden a couple of years ago and it was frankly embarrassing how well the locals spoke English even in the rural areas, compared to the half a dozen Swedish words that I picked up.  

Good point Split, I agree. Looking back, the Speedway Star  when quoting "foreigners" had them speaking in a sort of pidgin English. BTW when I look back at any British publication of that era-even kid's comics e.g. "The Rover- I am amazed at the quality and vocabulary of the writing compared to today-usage of the English language has really declined

Must say I met him once in Vojens and he was a very pleasant humble person. No superstar(which he certainly is) attitude etc

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

Must say I met him once in Vojens and he was a very pleasant humble person. No superstar(which he certainly is) attitude etc

I know Ove quite well. We've met and chatted on numerous occasions. He is a real gentleman. The complete opposite of his on track persona!

• Like 1