British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JamesHarris

Which track will be the first closure of the 2020's?

Sounds like the wrong topic to write about but I was wondering in these modern times when land is at a premium for housing, what will be the first track to permanently close its doors in the 2020's?

At the turn of the last century there used to be a new track opening every couple of years but there has not been any new ventures (if you take Belle Vue's new track out of it) since Kent opened in 2013. I wonder how many tracks will be in operation in 2030? 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

It must be Swindon. Not sure if Ladbrooks are offering odds.

I should wait till after the planning permission meeting this tues before posting. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, Piotr Pyszny said:

Developers are surely less of a threat than waning interest among what few supporters the sport still has.

The only stadiums that have run speedway in the past that will continue in the years ahead, will be those that house others sports or are multi use. I can't see ten stadiums existing by the centenary of speedway in 2028. Or is it now heralded as 2023?

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:14 AM, waytogo28 said:

The only stadiums that have run speedway in the past that will continue in the years ahead, will be those that house others sports or are multi use. I can't see ten stadiums existing by the centenary of speedway in 2028. Or is it now heralded as 2023?

or in the middle of nowhere, or nowhere anyone wants to build, such as Redcar

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:36 PM, JamesHarris said:

Sounds like the wrong topic to write about but I was wondering in these modern times when land is at a premium for housing, what will be the first track to permanently close its doors in the 2020's?

At the turn of the last century there used to be a new track opening every couple of years but there has not been any new ventures (if you take Belle Vue's new track out of it) since Kent opened in 2013. I wonder how many tracks will be in operation in 2030? 

Even Kent is not so much of a new venture. Iwade, which is virtually in Sittingbourne has been there for years and was a conference league track for a while. 

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Even Kent is not so much of a new venture. Iwade, which is virtually in Sittingbourne has been there for years and was a conference league track for a while. 

The Kent Kings have nothing to do with Iwade. Different stadium & different promoters. 

1 hour ago, flipper11 said:

The Kent Kings have nothing to do with Iwade. Different stadium & different promoters. 

I know, but what I was saying is it was a venture in a town where speedway was already established. But hey ho, the promoters have done a great job! I think I agree with an earlier posting that the best chance for any further new tracks is out in the sticks somewhere. However, the survival of speedway is a big subject and has been discussed on the forum many times. Cost for the riders, promoters and fans is probably one of the biggest issues. 

there should be a team tasked with reducing costs in GB. If people ride GP, Poland or wherever they can do what the hell they like but the British leagues need to trim costs drastically - how they do it I'm not sure, maybe move to F2

48 minutes ago, ch958 said:

there should be a team tasked with reducing costs in GB. If people ride GP, Poland or wherever they can do what the hell they like but the British leagues need to trim costs drastically - how they do it I'm not sure, maybe move to F2

Nobody makes the riders buy the most expensive equipment but they all do from NDL upwards. F2 is a red herring and always has been. Why buy a bike that can only be used in one league or one country? Why learn a different style of riding that can only be used in one league or one country?

Promoters and supporters have been subsidising riders’ vanity for far too long. The riders need to learn to use what they can afford and not expect others to pay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Nobody makes the riders buy the most expensive equipment but they all do from NDL upwards. F2 is a red herring and always has been. Why buy a bike that can only be used in one league or one country? Why learn a different style of riding that can only be used in one league or one country?

Promoters and supporters have been subsidising riders’ vanity for far too long. The riders need to learn to use what they can afford and not expect others to pay

if you can ride in 2 countries or more u can afford a second/third bike - something has to be done its easy to shoot down ideas but what then???

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

if you can ride in 2 countries or more u can afford a second/third bike - something has to be done its easy to shoot down ideas but what then???

Can I assume you are referring to F2 as an idea? This is an “idea” that has been around for 15-20 years and hasn’t caught on, so it’s reasonable to ask why not? I saw them at a meeting at the NSS two or three years ago, doing exhibitions using riders like Carl Stonehewer and Andy Mellish. After a couple of rides, most of the riders were refusing to ride them and the last race, maybe the last two races, were cancelled. I simply don’t believe they are the answer.
There are various answers to cutting costs, but it has to be driven by the team owners, because the riders will always want the latest gizmo, and latest is usually also most expensive,

The GTR engines were a joke, cutting costs by making riders buy engines costing four grand doesn’t make much sense to me. 
But a low rise cam plus, perhaps, a physical restriction on fuel flow, would cost, maybe £120 per engine, which would be saved straight away due to lower maintenance costs. Make it compulsory in the NDL with confiscation of the engine being the penalty for breaking the rules. 
Anyone riding in another league, would simply have to swap cams and remove the fuel flow restrictor. 
I gather two well known - and well respected - engine tuners suggested this to BSPA before they blew a fortune on GTRs, but, for reason I neither know nor understand, the idea was turned down. 

How many GTR engines did the BSPA buy and what is happening with them now, anyone know ?...