British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Prediction thread

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Here’s their signed averages for this year and their 2018 ones in brackets:

Andersen 5.79 (7.56), Tungate 6.59 (7.61), Harris 6.16 (7.78), Nicholls 5.5 (6.64).

Surely there’s a chance that they could recover their 2018 form and add a point each?

Possibly Tungate, the rest are past their best, but could at best hold their average.

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Andersen 5.79 (7.56), Tungate 6.59 (7.61), Harris 6.16 (7.78), Nicholls 5.5 (6.64).

Surely there’s a chance that they could recover their 2018 form and add a point each?

This is also what people don’t get about Proctor. Seems you’re not allowed a bad year any more.

36 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This is also what people don’t get about Proctor. Seems you’re not allowed a bad year any more.

Not sure about Proctor, personally I am not sure he will have a much better season than last year but I think when Harris or Hans start getting good scores it could spur on the whole team. 

18 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Not sure about Proctor, personally I am not sure he will have a much better season than last year but I think when Harris or Hans start getting good scores it could spur on the whole team. 

Starting at reserve I’d be gobsmacked if he doesn’t average 6+

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Starting at reserve I’d be gobsmacked if he doesn’t average 6+

Nicholls must be able to get a 7 then! 

• Like 1

With only Peterborough to announce last signing I’ll have a stab at predictions.

1. Swindon - huge top 3 that proved impossible to stop last season. The only caution is Jensen adding to that average? Ellis is excellent in mid order. Stewart is a complete unknown at this level but could make a massive difference dependant how he settles. Perks likewise has to continue his upward trend. Rowe is the weakest rider in all teams however he only has to beat his opposite number 7 to do his job so that’s more than possible.

2. Sheffield - a very solid top 4. Pedersen should be in the top 2 averaged riders this year if you go on polish form. Holder should be a solid number 2. Howarth should improve after an injury hit year in 2019. Their reserves are the weakest pair tho. 

3. Wolves - a solid packed side with no out an out number one could come unstuck against the powerhouse pairings. Should be room for improvement in all 7 riders which has the hallmark of a dark horse side. Nicol is unproven at the level but has a lot resting on his shoulders if he doesn’t hit the ground running. If he does then they are going to be very tough opposition.

4. Belle Vue - another side like Wolves with huge potential for growth. No recognised number one but Kurtz should really kick on at the NSS. Lidsey and Bewley are rapid talents and will hold the key to just how much of a force they will be. Kildemand will either be a hit or flop such as how his rising star has fallen over the past 12 months. Etheridge will need to improve away as he was awful before.

5. Peterborough- seems a lot will be resting on their ‘new’ 7th rider if it proves to be a newcomer. Having Iversen back is massive for the Panthers and the rest looks really solid if not a bit dads army. Hard to see a weakness. Nicholls at reserve is a no brainer for any side.

6. Kings Lynn- another solid side and will need Lambert back to his 2018 form to help the Stars back into the top 4. Cook will be a dependable number 2, whilst Riss has way more to give. The rest need to up their game particularly away. Hartel looks a weak link.

7. Ipswich. Purely based on a number 1 who has retired when still had more to give. I can’t see him being anywhere near the force he once was. However just like last season there is a solid look about them so won’t be surprised again if they prove to be the biggest of dark horses again. Crumps main strength will be as coach and motivator in my opinion that could have a huge influence on all 6 riders. This could be the making of Kemp who on paper looks 2nd worst number 7. As a Brit I hope he has a massive year.  

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

With only Peterborough to announce last signing I’ll have a stab at predictions.

1. Swindon - huge top 3 that proved impossible to stop last season. The only caution is Jensen adding to that average? Ellis is excellent in mid order. Stewart is a complete unknown at this level but could make a massive difference dependant how he settles. Perks likewise has to continue his upward trend. Rowe is the weakest rider in all teams however he only has to beat his opposite number 7 to do his job so that’s more than possible.

2. Sheffield - a very solid top 4. Pedersen should be in the top 2 averaged riders this year if you go on polish form. Holder should be a solid number 2. Howarth should improve after an injury hit year in 2019. Their reserves are the weakest pair tho. 

3. Wolves - a solid packed side with no out an out number one could come unstuck against the powerhouse pairings. Should be room for improvement in all 7 riders which has the hallmark of a dark horse side. Nicol is unproven at the level but has a lot resting on his shoulders if he doesn’t hit the ground running. If he does then they are going to be very tough opposition.

4. Belle Vue - another side like Wolves with huge potential for growth. No recognised number one but Kurtz should really kick on at the NSS. Lidsey and Bewley are rapid talents and will hold the key to just how much of a force they will be. Kildemand will either be a hit or flop such as how his rising star has fallen over the past 12 months. Etheridge will need to improve away as he was awful before.

5. Peterborough- seems a lot will be resting on their ‘new’ 7th rider if it proves to be a newcomer. Having Iversen back is massive for the Panthers and the rest looks really solid if not a bit dads army. Hard to see a weakness. Nicholls at reserve is a no brainer for any side.

6. Kings Lynn- another solid side and will need Lambert back to his 2018 form to help the Stars back into the top 4. Cook will be a dependable number 2, whilst Riss has way more to give. The rest need to up their game particularly away. Hartel looks a weak link.

7. Ipswich. Purely based on a number 1 who has retired when still had more to give. I can’t see him being anywhere near the force he once was. However just like last season there is a solid look about them so won’t be surprised again if they prove to be the biggest of dark horses again. Crumps main strength will be as coach and motivator in my opinion that could have a huge influence on all 6 riders. This could be the making of Kemp who on paper looks 2nd worst number 7. As a Brit I hope he has a massive year.  

Let's hope Steve we get to go watch any speedway the way this Corona virus is going.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, geoff58 said:

Edited by Wolfie456

Cant understand how you can rate `Hartel as being a week link as he hasn't ridden a lap in `britain   Perhaps he will be but with Riss as a countryman and Lambert  speaking German and I

am sure both will be helping him get used to British Tracks    But he must be given a chance 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Cant understand how you can rate `Hartel as being a week link as he hasn't ridden a lap in `britain   Perhaps he will be but with Riss as a countryman and Lambert  speaking German and I

am sure both will be helping him get used to British Tracks    But he must be given a chance 

he has ridden over here before, for ipswich.

15 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Ipswich in the Championship. Raw with some potential - a gamble but not a no hoper

2 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

Agree with you that Hartel needs to be given a chance and with the ‘only 2 transfers rule’ this season I’m sure he will be. Having Erik in the pits with him plus Robert also able to speak the lingo will definitely help him. 

As for people saying he is going to be a weak link I think we need to have a look at him first, saying he has ridden here before is not really a good guide as he only had a few meetings for Ipswich before getting injured and that was a couple of seasons ago and young riders can improve quite a lot in that time and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing him ride and then people can make judgement on him.

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

In my opinion 7.61 is an inflated average for tungate - he’s a 6.5 man

hans had a horrendous year off the track and I think with that behind him and a clearer head then yes he’s going to improve on last year, and could as suggested put a point back on

harris it really depends on if his wrist injury has healed properly as it never really did last year he quite clearly just couldn’t hold on or turn properly a lot of the time, but being honest he’s been in decline for the last few years and I just don’t view him as a consistent heat leader/Heavy scorer anymore 

nicholls will likely do well at reserve however his level has dropped in a big way in the past couple of seasons imo, have watched him at Ipswich for 20 years now - his back yard and in the past couple of seasons he’s been well beaten around Foxhall by some very ordinary riders in both championship and premiership I don’t see him averaging much more than 6 really

Merely my opinion not knocking any of the riders - just can’t see all 6 of the so far announced riders all putting a point on their average as you suggested

4 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Let's hope Steve we get to go watch any speedway the way this Corona virus is going.

This virus thing is being way too sensationalised. Flu kills more people each year already. 

3 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

He has ridden here before and was hopeless. That’s why i rated him (or didn’t rate him in this instance).

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

He has ridden here before and was hopeless. That’s why i rated him (or didn’t rate him in this instance).

Bit harsh that, he wasn’t ‘hopeless’ but only rode a handful of meetings before getting injured and most of those were on smaller tracks. Given a longer run and in a league where 75% of his matches will be on big, fast circuits he could perform very differently. As has been said two years is a decent chunk of time for a young rider to develop and hopefully he will be a decent number seven for us. 

I can enjoy watching this league and not care that Swindon are beating us! Lol.

1. Swindon

2. Sheffield 

3. Wolves

4. Belle Vue

5. Peterborough 

6. Ipswich 

7. King's Lynn