British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teaboy279

Newcastle Gems NT 2020

So Newcastle have applied to run in this years NT, i suspect it's a test to see if running in the NL is viable.

Would give IoW Mildo and Plymouth an extra home meeting to enjoy. 

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 3

Any ideas if it will be a true Gems side i.e 7 riders unsigned elsewhere or a cradley style NT side which was the best 1-7 available by current averages from teams not in the competition 

20 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Any ideas if it will be a true Gems side i.e 7 riders unsigned elsewhere or a cradley style NT side which was the best 1-7 available by current averages from teams not in the competition 

it has to be approved first at the Special meeting on the 21st, I think.

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Here's 2 for you.  Alcock & Embleton 

(If not riding elsewhere )

13 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Amazingly cradley we’re allowed to build a team with whoever they wanted, including from teams in the NT. Certainly kemp, perks, Bowtell and Edwards were riding in the NT for their NL teams.  I remember going to Leicester and Swindon for NT team matches v Kent but I’m not sure on the rules for their team building. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Amazingly cradley we’re allowed to build a team with whoever they wanted, including from teams in the NT. Certainly kemp, perks, Bowtell and Edwards were riding in the NT for their NL teams.  I remember going to Leicester and Swindon for NT team matches v Kent but I’m not sure on the rules for their team building. 

Swindon & Leicester were also allowed to pick riders of other teams upto the normal points limit. They got little criticism as they didn’t build ‘super teams’ whereas Cradley cherry picked all the best riders. 

• Like 3

Rather checking the viability of NL at Newcastle (hint - there isn’t any), I’drather believe this is an attempt to keep some promising youngsters in the North of England and get some sort of asset base built up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I kinda hope we go with locals rather than just the best of the best, which is what I think we will do tbh... I'd rather our second team lost with young locals who are gaining experience than won with all the big names in the NDL

Jamie Halder, Josh Embleton, Joe Alcock, Kieran Douglas and Archie Freeman MUST be in the team imo... Then build the two heat leaders from there... I know Max Clegg isn't an option, but a big number 1 like him to guide the young'uns would be ideal... Maybe Wilko will hop back on a bike just for these meetings? As captain, and maybe he'll get some sort of management role within the side? Good experience for him for the future if that's the path he wants to take...

Would James Wright be eligible?

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

In all fairness Josh,Joe,Kieran & Archie could slot into the team at their relative positions and be a respectable group of 2nd strings and reserves. Bit much to ask Halder to be 3rd heat leader though. Danny Phillips seems likely to be included so its just two other heat leaders and its an honest side built with a local flavour.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:51 AM, teaboy279 said:

So Newcastle have applied to run in this years NT, i suspect it's a test to see if running in the NL is viable.

Would give IoW Mildo and Plymouth an extra home meeting to enjoy. 

Would be rather pathetic from the BSPA to say no.....

• Like 2

What like they did with Readings bid to race at Swindon, giving the NL another much needed team, exposure for a homeless club trying to increase interest with a view to finding a location for a new track while giving more NL opportunities for British youngsters?? 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

What like they did with Readings bid to race at Swindon, giving the NL another much needed team, exposure for a homeless club trying to increase interest with a view to finding a location for a new track while giving more NL opportunities for British youngsters?? 

It was pathetic of the BSPA to say no to Reading!

On 1/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, Dandelion said:

I kinda hope we go with locals rather than just the best of the best, which is what I think we will do tbh... I'd rather our second team lost with young locals who are gaining experience than won with all the big names in the NDL

Jamie Halder, Josh Embleton, Joe Alcock, Kieran Douglas and Archie Freeman MUST be in the team imo... Then build the two heat leaders from there... I know Max Clegg isn't an option, but a big number 1 like him to guide the young'uns would be ideal... Maybe Wilko will hop back on a bike just for these meetings? As captain, and maybe he'll get some sort of management role within the side? Good experience for him for the future if that's the path he wants to take...

Would James Wright be eligible?

One of Clegg, Wilkinson or Wright could ride in NT team, but only one allowed!