British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Ken Archer

Tony Hurren reports on some sad news

KEN ARCHER

I have just taken a telephone call informing me that Ken Archer, one of the most well-know pit marshal's in the world of speedway racing, passed away at the weekend. He was 86. He had suffered from bad health for the last few years.

Ken was a south-London man and lived in that area for much of his life, before purchasing a property at Caterham in Surrey, which he shared with his partner Esther.

Ken's love affair with speedway began in 1947 when he attended Wimbledon's first meeting of the season. He saw his last meeting at the end of the 1992 season.

Ken became pit marshal at Hackney half way through the 1964 season. He held the same position at Rye House, West Ham and White City. For many years he was the dope and oil man at Wimbledon before taking over as pit marshal.

As a young man Ken rode cycle speedway for both the Battersea Eagles and Tooting Tigers. He excelled at this sport and won numerous championships.

Ken missed only two post-war World Finals at Wembley's Empire Stadium and travelled to Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Germany and the United States to see World Finals and domestic meetings.

We have lost a guy who was one of the best-known figures on the London speedway scene. RIP Ken.

KA.jpg

• Like 1

That is really sad...  I've known Ken all my life, as he played on the WSSC dart team with my mum and dad. Unfortunately, we lost touch when he moved to Caterham, but we used to visit Ken and Esther in Aylett Rd. I also used to ride to White City with them.

R.I.P. Ken.