British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Hunter

2020 Fixtures

3 minutes ago, tocha said:

I think they must have looked into this and come to the conclusion they couldn't be fitted in now that each club has 15 home league fixtures.

You may be correct on this tocha but SGB speedway should make a statement regarding this so fans know what is happening with the competition.

The AGM statement made mention of the KO Cup and Shield details being confirmed after Newcastle's future had been resolved. The Cup draw was released 12 days later on the 27th November so I guess they quietly scrapped the Shield and hoped nobody would notice!

I saw this and I guess that all the extra league fixtures may be caused an issue with the fixtures thereby not allowing the Championship Shield competition in 2020  to operate which is a valid and reasonable reason for its scraping,  but a simple statement would have been nice from Speedway GB for the exact reason why it is not continuing.

I notice the fixtures are in the Speedway Star which goes to press on Tuesday so fixtures could of been released to fans earlier than yesterday if they had wanted to 

29 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

I notice the fixtures are in the Speedway Star which goes to press on Tuesday so fixtures could of been released to fans earlier than yesterday if they had wanted to 

This is called working with rather than against the media.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Robbie B said:

I saw this and I guess that all the extra league fixtures may be caused an issue with the fixtures thereby not allowing the Championship Shield competition in 2020  to operate which is a valid and reasonable reason for its scraping,  but a simple statement would have been nice from Speedway GB for the exact reason why it is not continuing.

Year upon year the Shield fixtures are there as a season opener to get riders up to speed yet the final is raced in September/October as league racing deadlines for play off places take priority. Yes, we all wanted more fixtures than last year, which we now have, but good riddance to the Shield. If you need your riders to get up to speed then arrange challenge meetings. 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, KEITH M said:

On 1/24/2020 at 12:37 PM, Wee Eck said:

This is called working with rather than against the media.

I would call it working against, rather than with the paying fans. 

8 hours ago, ShyTalk said:

I would call it working against, rather than with the paying fans. 

Why? Fixture list was embargoed until Thursday to ensure everyone had time to release them at the same time. I believe that British Speedway needs the Star as, without it, there would be no central source of information. So it’s a simple trade off that the Star gets to release their information at the same time as everyone else. Not before, and not after. It’s how media works best, in my view

Edited by Wee Eck
Spelling
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Why? Fixture list was embargoed until Thursday to ensure everyone had time to release them at the same time. I believe that British Speedway needs the Star as, without it, there would be no central source of information. So it’s a simple trade off that the Star gets to release their information at the same time as everyone else. Not before, and not after. It’s how media works best, in my view

For fans who want to plan dates etc, the sooner information available the better. Few years ago, fixtures issued, but some dates, including British semi, were held back. When issued, I found I had planned something else on one, of the dates. Heard the speedway was brilliant, at this match, so I missed some great speedway, and the promoters missed a bit of income.

I used to buy speedway star, for the results, but gave up about 40 years ago, when I got a TV with teletext. I am not interested in speedway star, but I do like to go to matches, and I am sure promoters, both want and need all the income they can get.

3 hours ago, ShyTalk said:

For fans who want to plan dates etc, the sooner information available the better. Few years ago, fixtures issued, but some dates, including British semi, were held back. When issued, I found I had planned something else on one, of the dates. Heard the speedway was brilliant, at this match, so I missed some great speedway, and the promoters missed a bit of income.

I used to buy speedway star, for the results, but gave up about 40 years ago, when I got a TV with teletext. I am not interested in speedway star, but I do like to go to matches, and I am sure promoters, both want and need all the income they can get.

Teletext? :D

Did the two days between the press (and probably all of the teams) getting the fixture list, and the date of agreed publication for all - press, BSPA, teams websites/social media resources - make a big difference to you?

• Haha 1