British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve19620

England v USA @ Swindon 24 May 1980

Hi there.

Can anybody confirm whether Les Collins rode for England in this meeting. The Speedway Mail and Yearbook advise that Les rode and scored 0 points (as a reserve). His brother Peter also rode in this meeting and the heat details published in the Speedway Star advise that Collins finished 4th in Heat 13 (was this Les after Peter was excluded for 2 minutes or tapes offence ?). Does anybody has a completed programme from this meeting to confirm ?

Thanks

Edited by steve19620

5 hours ago, steve19620 said:

Hi there.

Can anybody confirm whether Les Collins rode for England in this meeting. The Speedway Mail and Yearbook advise that Les rode and scored 0 points (as a reserve). His brother Peter also rode in this meeting and the heat details published in the Speedway Star advise that Collins finished 4th in Heat 13 (was this Les after Peter was excluded for 2 minutes or tapes offence ?). Does anybody has a completed programme from this meeting to confirm ?

Thanks

Good luck in your quest. I was at the meeting but unfortunately sold off my programmes (regrettably) when re-locating.

A little bit of research seems to suggest that Les Collins replaced John Davis in one of his rides.

Can anybody confirm this ?

Edited by steve19620

The heat results are incorrect as these are copied from the Speedway Star. Thanks for looking.

I have the Programme still.  I've got Les Collins replacing John Davis in heat 8. Came last. His only ride. 

• Like 1

Not really much help but the Ipswich programme for the 4th meeting of the 1981 series (7th May) lists Les Collins scoring 0 at Swindon in 1980. They only give the individual scores, no indication of number of rides taken unfortunately.

Hi there. After a little bit of research I have found out this meeting attracted a crowd of 9,000 (wow !) and all the programmes were sold. I am still looking for an answer to my query. In view of the above crowd figures surely someone has a completed programme from this meeting ! Fingers crossed.

I was there. Excellent article in Speedway Star this week saying Americans were given home pits, Gresh and Autrey rode for Swindon, and it seemed a big portion of the English crowd were supporting the Yanks.:blink: Some real needle between the teams as the English dominance of the 70s was ending.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, steve19620 said:

Hi there. After a little bit of research I have found out this meeting attracted a crowd of 9,000 (wow !) and all the programmes were sold. I am still looking for an answer to my query. In view of the above crowd figures surely someone has a completed programme from this meeting ! Fingers crossed.

rsarjant above confirmed that he does?

Just spotted rsargant’s post and answer ! Thanks - I didn’t read the thread properly! Drrrrr.........

I remember taking my little brother to his first away meeting from Eastbourne.

Huge crowd and I remember being annoyed they'd under cooked the program supply.