British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
f-s-p

20 rider, 4 per heat format

I’m all out of ideas to find a ”traditional” (not KO) meeting format for the specs mentioned in the title. Speedway.org seems to have got a clean up and stuff is gone. I’m confident such a meeting has taken place in the past decade. 

Can anyone help?

• Like 1

I know a 24 rider, 4 per heat format has been used....the 1963 PLRC springs to mind........not sure I ever remember  a 20 rider 4 per heat but I would guess it has occurred.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, f-s-p said:

I’m all out of ideas to find a ”traditional” (not KO) meeting format for the specs mentioned in the title. Speedway.org seems to have got a clean up and stuff is gone. I’m confident such a meeting has taken place in the past decade. 

I don't know about on the past decade, but the North American Final ran a 20-rider, 4-riders-per-heat format at one point. 

But you could actually adapt the Speedway World Cup format from around 2004 that had 4 teams with 5 riders (no reserves) for an individual competition. 

It isn't possible to have every rider meet every other rider an equal number of times under any formula (unless you run an impractically large number of heats), so you need to settle for 20 heats (4 rides, 12 opponents), 25 heats (5 rides, 15 opponents) or 30 heats (6 rides, 18 opponents). 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I don't know about on the past decade, but the North American Final ran a 20-rider, 4-riders-per-heat format at one point. 

But you could actually adapt the Speedway World Cup format from around 2004 that had 4 teams with 5 riders (no reserves) for an individual competition. 

It isn't possible to have every rider meet every other rider an equal number of times under any formula (unless you run an impractically large number of heats), so you need to settle for 20 heats (4 rides, 12 opponents), 25 heats (5 rides, 15 opponents) or 30 heats (6 rides, 18 opponents). 

We have a situation in ice racing where we have 21 entries for a meeting. The weather looks like there wont be a possibility to have a qualifier so the best solution from several crap ones is to have the requested 20 rider format meeting with top 2 to the final after prelis and 3-6 to semi for the remaining 2 final slots. Those two extra heats make it as even as it can ever be. Far from perfect though...

23 hours ago, f-s-p said:

We have a situation in ice racing where we have 21 entries for a meeting. The weather looks like there wont be a possibility to have a qualifier so the best solution from several crap ones is to have the requested 20 rider format meeting with top 2 to the final after prelis and 3-6 to semi for the remaining 2 final slots. Those two extra heats make it as even as it can ever be. Far from perfect though...

So we got the spreadsheet, made the draw with one quali heat b4 the meeting, rode it on paper and end up with a tie for 2nd, 4th and 6th. And those tie’s need a draw.

Been here for 15 years Timo and learned more from the sport than you ever will!

Preciate the daggers on my back  protector, couldnt care less! :t:

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

Been here for 15 years Timo and learned more from the sport than you ever will!

Preciate the daggers on my back  protector, couldnt care less! :t:

You talking to ghosts mate?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Nah. He fancied an intelligent conversation, so he ignored all of us and started talking to himself.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, iris123 said:

Got a mention on a closed facebook forum for my efforts to solve a problem in a situation where a win-win is the one answer that wont happen... Basic stuff.

This is where it got noticed, so I answered as well.

• Like 1

Gone for an 18 rider format with a quali to find the last 2 riders now ?

43 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Gone for an 18 rider format with a quali to find the last 2 riders now ?

Regular 16+2 since we had 2 riders withdrawing due to various reasons. One quali heat for 1+2 slots in the lineup.

All this fuss for what looks like nothing looking at the forecast. Well not nothing actually, my reputation is growing if nothing else... :lol:

• Haha 1