British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

Just seen Kevin Jolly has plans for Rye House for entry into NDL for 2020, any views on this.

Think it would be great.

• Like 1

All the ingredients for a disaster (late entry, Rye House track & Kevin Jolly) but i sill hope this comes true as would be great to see Rockets/Raiders back on track. Probably too late to be accepted? Sensible head thinks better to wait until 2021 for this to happen but not sure Kev Jolly has one of those.

Good news, Jolly has experience and is a nice guy.

18 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Good news, Jolly has experience and is a nice guy.

Where did this news come from ?  I have seen nothing anywhere to suggest that Rye House is on the way back.  Rob Cafferey  ( ??) did post

a bit of news about it on here some time ago, but nothing new lately and he seemed to know what he was talking about...unlike many

others on this forum..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Where did this news come from ?  I have seen nothing anywhere to suggest that Rye House is on the way back.  Rob Cafferey  ( ??) did post

a bit of news about it on here some time ago, but nothing new lately and he seemed to know what he was talking about...unlike many

others on this forum..

https://www.newmarketjournal.co.uk/sport/jolly-keen-to-revive-rye-house-9097188/

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

All the ingredients for a disaster (late entry, Rye House track & Kevin Jolly) but i sill hope this comes true as would be great to see Rockets/Raiders back on track. Probably too late to be accepted? Sensible head thinks better to wait until 2021 for this to happen but not sure Kev Jolly has one of those.

Completely agree. His approach to everything has always been elbows up, you get out of my way and that doesn’t work with the bspa. What him and his wife wrote on Facebook last year said he was done with speedway? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

others on this forum..

I hope I do after being a fan for coming up 50 years and directly involved in two bids to revive Rye House. Sadly last year's wasn't successful. I leave it to others to make silly speculations. I don't hide behind a false name so I put what remains of my reputation behind what I post ;-) If what I post is wrong then I am misinformed. It happens, but what I post is what I genuinely know is true, or is an honest deduction from what's in the public domain.

It's interesting to see the debt has been raised to Jolly when I was assured that the bid I was briefly involved in last year that the BSPA were happy to receive an application without any requirement to pay others' debts. It's funny., if a business goes bust and another takes over its operations it normally has no liability for the previous business's debts. If this was a case of BMR walking away from their debts only to form a 'phoenix' company to carry on, debtless I could understand but not when it's a new business.

I wonder if the BSPA simply use it to deter applications that they don't like the look of? I expect there to be a queue to promote there IF, and IF the kart business rebuild the place rather than just demolish it. 

Forget BMR. There is nothing that can be done to rewrite history this time and speedway has to move on. Soon we could see a modern stadium, available to stage speedway, within easy access of millions of people including the nation's capital with good road access, to Hoddesdon at least and a direct frequent rail service to central London. Isn't that exactly what the sport in London is crying out for? It would be insane to block it over debts that no sensible business would accept responsibility for? 

I can't see speedway ever recovering BMR's debt, yet who really is being punished here? Certainly not BMR. Prospective promtions, yes. But in the twisted short-sightedness of speedway there is one apparently forgoten group that suffers the most. 

THE FANS. 

Speedway owes those people, not just of Rye House but all of the lost London area tracks one last place to enjoy their sport. Until someone wins Euromillions,there is only one place.

Rye House.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 9

Maybe we need to know all the facts before making our own judgements! Who owns (or has control of) what.

Most of us are aware that BMR paid some rather silly guarantees, the sport could do with some wage controls like the Rugby Union.

On the face of it to have Rye House up & running ASAP should only be a positive for our sport.   

• Like 1

BSPA statement

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37867

This bears out exactly what I understood to be the case when the Jim Mead consortium was bidding to promote there.

They point out that the stadium is being redeveloped so logically it is best to wait until it is ready.

Regarding forms there are several that are requested, including proof of an agreement with the landlords and a safety certificate. I believe there may be a requirement for proof of financial

status.

It is very reassuring to see the BSPA state that the door is open and that no mention of past debts is made. The last thing the situation needs is an entry barrier.

Whether it is Kevin Jolly, Steve Ribbons or anyone else reviving the place is irrelevant providing they are competent. The fine promises made by BMR were wafer thin. There is obviously a need to ensure that history is not repeated.

All Rye House fans can now breathe a sigh of relief. At this time you couldn't wish for mose. Thank you BSPA for confirming exactly where we are.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Disaster in trying to get a team going again and to provide spots for the riders without a team?

Like him or not he kept Mildenhall alive. If he can do the same with Rye then happy days. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Maybe we need to know all the facts before making our own judgements! Who owns (or has control of) what.

Most of us are aware that BMR paid some rather silly guarantees, the sport could do with some wage controls like the Rugby Union.

On the face of it to have Rye House up & running ASAP should only be a positive for our sport.   

It's quite clear. The freehold track and the land surrounding is owned by the Lee Valley Park Authority. A lease was granted to a company called Carter & Bailey Ltd many years ago. They were originally the greyhound and speedway promoters, sub-letting the latter to Len Silver in 1974 (there may have been earlier short-term sub-lets). Carter & Bailey was later run by Eddie Leslie who installed Stock Car Racing after the Rockets folded in 1994. Len then acquired Carter &  Bailey to gain control of the speedway, selling on to BMR. More recently officials of the kart racing business became the directors of Carter & Bailey. 

BMR were hied on a one year deal to manage the stadium. 

Thus the control of the speedway stadium rests with the kart people who are renovating the stadium. 

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2

Hi Rob,

We have had detailed plans outlined to us for the stadium and it would seem (hold my breathe after BMR) that we are in safe hands with the Owners

13 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Hi Rob,

We have had detailed plans outlined to us for the stadium and it would seem (hold my breathe after BMR) that we are in safe hands with the Owners

Excellent news, oh person who I do not know ;-)

Kart people aren't fools(*). They know the potential for the site. The only site in the London area where you can stage speedway? Properly handled it could be a goldmine even with the sport in its current state. A decent stadium, work on the track to improve the racing. Give a good Saturday night's entertainment and you're on your way.

(* A friend out here in the wild west of England used to race and ran a major kart track. He's told me enough to know that it's a well-run sport).

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Don’t worry the Speedway rights at Rye House have been sold and rest assured it’s in good hands, The new Promotor as a long history with the club, and he’s got brilliant financial backing, Not like Jolly who hasn’t two pennies to rub together,and by the way next Season will see RH in the a Championship 

• Confused 2