British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

To make Rye House stadium fit to stage public events again is going to cost a lot of money. The old place looked a tip at December's Dragons meeting. I applaud anyone who is prepared to take the project on.

13 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

They have no divine right, but that doesn't mean they can't apply. Perhaps Rye House would be welcomed? Not all promotions are. 

Of course the do not have a divine right, but it would be good to see one of the oldest venues return. Can't see Len Silver being involved though

27 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Of course the do not have a divine right, but it would be good to see one of the oldest venues return. Can't see Len Silver being involved though

I could be putting 2 & 2 together & making 5...... but how about Neil Machin... could be just the person required?

3 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

With the greatest of respect why should rye house think they have the Devine right to come back into the championship my team were turned down so why should they think it’s a shoe in they will get accepted into the second tier.

Maybe they can fulfill the bspa criteria straight away and have all the required paperwork in order. Hasn’t it been officially said your team didn’t complete the requirements in the paperwork area

If (hopefully when) Rye House speedway reopen they should take the same route as they did in 2000 when they reopened at Hoddesdon by going in the 3rd tier.

I haven't been back to Rye House since the mid season closure a couple of years back but surely theres enough room there to accommodate crowds of up to 2000? - Though I suspect crowds of 400-1000 would be the crowd figures in the 3rd tier on a Saturday night?

In times of track closures which means less teams plus a surplus of riders who wish to ride and the BSPA hinting they want to drop the standard of the 3rd tier (something I totally disagree with cause theres already a level below the NL and if we are to produce World class British riders then they need to race at a decent level whilst learning) surely it makes sense to allow Rye House to compete in this seasons NL even if the stadium is not quite what it should be?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

With the greatest of respect why should rye house think they have the Devine right to come back into the championship my team were turned down so why should they think it’s a shoe in they will get accepted into the second tier.

Rye have a proven track record of running in the second tier and not going under. The trouble started when we stepped up. With all due respect, Plymouth have tried and failed in the second division before. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

The stadium plans will mean it is geared up to host Premiership/Championship level speedway. But maybe National league this season if the stadium is ready.

Is the speculation above merely speculation or fact regarding Len Silver?

I wouldn’t say it’s speculation, more known facts about Len’s base. I have no idea who is behind the plans to bring Rye back, but I’d be surprised if it was Len. 

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s speculation, more known facts about Len’s base. I have no idea who is behind the plans to bring Rye back, but I’d be surprised if it was Len. 

I thought Kevin Jolly had declared his interest.

Just now, Mimmo said:

I thought Kevin Jolly had declared his interest.

Whoops, just looked at Page 1

7 minutes ago, dave1075 said:

Current being carried at Rye House stadium posted 26/01/20

https://www.facebook.com/groups/198832456794185/permalink/3132269760117092/

There's clearly some serious investment going on. I see they're using the term "Rye House Group" for the karting and laser fighting activities, and now the speedway.

It looks like the main stand is being rebuilt rather than demolished.  It looks far too  early to hold public events since it truly is a building site. I'd say this is another reason for optimism. Bear in mind the flat track and speedway practices are technically private events so the safety standards are more relaxed. Thanks for posting this.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, 25yearfan said:

If (hopefully when) Rye House speedway reopen they should take the same route as they did in 2000 when they reopened at Hoddesdon by going in the 3rd tier.

I haven't been back to Rye House since the mid season closure a couple of years back but surely theres enough room there to accommodate crowds of up to 2000? - Though I suspect crowds of 400-1000 would be the crowd figures in the 3rd tier on a Saturday night?

In times of track closures which means less teams plus a surplus of riders who wish to ride and the BSPA hinting they want to drop the standard of the 3rd tier (something I totally disagree with cause theres already a level below the NL and if we are to produce World class British riders then they need to race at a decent level whilst learning) surely it makes sense to allow Rye House to compete in this seasons NL even if the stadium is not quite what it should be?

I'd be flabbergasted if Rye got a thousand people turn up for third tier racing. That would be a good crowd for championship level. If the revamped stadium does include speedway in it's  plans, then surely professional racing must be the aim.

1000 would be remarkable. I seem to remember when the Rockets relaunched in 1999 hearing that many NL tracks' break-even crowd figure was as low as 250.

It'll be interesting to see what the rent will be for the refurbished stadium. Whether the team race in tier 2 or 3 would, I expect, be greatly determined by how much capital the prospective promotion has or is willing/able to risk. 

The main thing is getting the place back once it's ready.

• Like 1

In all fairness Kent were getting 1000+ to turn out for NL racing on the bank holiday meetings so can be achieved at that level. Although as stated more likely to get 4-500 as a sustainable figure depending on the quality of the side and the racing on show.  

53 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In all fairness Kent were getting 1000+ to turn out for NL racing on the bank holiday meetings so can be achieved at that level. Although as stated more likely to get 4-500 as a sustainable figure depending on the quality of the side and the racing on show.  

I agree 500-600 (which would probably be norm for better recent NL Clubs as an average in recent / past 3-4 seasons like Brummies / Kings / Mildenhall / Eastbourne) should be the target.

Lot of noise though about NDL in 2021 being for second teams of development (NDL/SDL/MDL) standard. 

Does this explain Rye House apparent plan to ride in NDL Trophy in 2020 to test the water as if not any Clubs standalone in 3rd Tier Rye House would have to go straight to Championship in 2021?

Would that rule out Len if Kent in Championship or will Len try to get Kent in PL in 2021 which was believed at one point to be where they were headed in 2020?