British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

36 minutes ago, HGould said:

I agree 500-600 (which would probably be norm for better recent NL Clubs as an average in recent / past 3-4 seasons like Brummies / Kings / Mildenhall / Eastbourne) should be the target.

Lot of noise though about NDL in 2021 being for second teams of development (NDL/SDL/MDL) standard. 

Does this explain Rye House apparent plan to ride in NDL Trophy in 2020 to test the water as if not any Clubs standalone in 3rd Tier Rye House would have to go straight to Championship in 2021?

Would that rule out Len if Kent in Championship or will Len try to get Kent in PL in 2021 which was believed at one point to be where they were headed in 2020? 

I don't really know where the noise is coming from about a drop in level of the NL to make it 2nd teams of the major sides considering the way many teams have treated the dev leagues and their riders with contempt over the years, the way the bspa hammers these sides with fee's to make it difficult for them to get on track and how sadly the standard of the development leagues has fallen in numbers and quality over recent years. A midway product could work with the 'better' dev league riders and lower NL riders on track but what the price point of such a product would be i don't know? also would something like this not lead to grossly inflated averages if the higher level of competition is removed. I definitely fear that interference with what is probably the best organised and most sustainable league in the country is a very dangerous thing. 

• Like 2

Would be fantastic to get the bikes back at Rye, Sunday afternoon racing would certainly bring in enough support to sustain a Championship level side and it would be a fitting if a few open or trophy meetings took place this year as it's 40 years since that great team won the National League.

22 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I'd be flabbergasted if Rye got a thousand people turn up for third tier racing. That would be a good crowd for championship level. If the revamped stadium does include speedway in it's  plans, then surely professional racing must be the aim.

I did say 400-1000 so was hinting that the highest figure would be exceptional, though I suspect if (again hopefully when!) Rye House reopen, the opening night would be a crowd in the 1000 range?

Lets hope we get to find out what crowds a reopened Rye House speedway can attract sooner rather than later, EG, this season!

On 1/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, BuxtonTiger said:

So, what is the magic document the BSPA need?

Kevin Jolly’s Bank Statement :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Toad said:

Would be fantastic to get the bikes back at Rye, Sunday afternoon racing would certainly bring in enough support to sustain a Championship level side and it would be a fitting if a few open or trophy meetings took place this year as it's 40 years since that great team won the National League.

I fully agree with you about commemorating the 1980 team but I think that Sunday afternoons might be out. Bear in mind the stadium is still earning revenue from the speedway practices and private flat track events then. I expect racing will be Saturday nights, or maybe even Friday nights? 

Len has confirmed he has not or won’t have any involvement in Rye House.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I fully agree with you about commemorating the 1980 team but I think that Sunday afternoons might be out. Bear in mind the stadium is still earning revenue from the speedway practices and private flat track events then. I expect racing will be Saturday nights, or maybe even Friday nights? 

Saturday night makes most sense I’d say. The catchment area for Rye could potentially encompass the M25, M11 etc. and it would be easier for most people to negotiate those on a Saturday as opposed to during Friday night rush hour.

Never been a fan of afternoon racing at Rye, would like to think the track can continue to use Sunday as a revenue stream from training and hold meetings on Saturday nights if we do reopen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Saturday night makes most sense I’d say. The catchment area for Rye could potentially encompass the M25, M11 etc. and it would be easier for most people to negotiate those on a Saturday as opposed to during Friday night rush hour.

Never been a fan of afternoon racing at Rye, would like to think the track can continue to use Sunday as a revenue stream from training and hold meetings on Saturday nights if we do reopen.

Would you accept Friday nights? There could otherwise be a lack of time on Saturdays to prepare the track after a day's speedway practice or flat track which also are staged on Saturdays? Yes, it has to be balanced against the M25 problem. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

29 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Would you accept Friday nights? There could otherwise be a lack of time on Saturdays to prepare the track after a day's speedway practice or flat track which also are staged on Saturdays? Yes, it has to be balanced against the M25 problem. 

I’m close enough to the track that any night would be fine for me. In fact a weeknight would be best for my social life as I’d be able to attend every meeting rather than picking and choosing weekend meetings depending on what other plans I have, the weekend is always busier when it comes to other things to do. I know plenty of others who travelled from further afield and the switch to midweek was the death knell for them attending however. Ideally we want to race on the best night for business to make sure any comeback remains viable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

I’m close enough to the track that any night would be fine for me. In fact a weeknight would be best for my social life as I’d be able to attend every meeting rather than picking and choosing weekend meetings depending on what other plans I have, the weekend is always busier when it comes to other things to do. I know plenty of others who travelled from further afield and the switch to midweek was the death knell for them attending however. Ideally we want to race on the best night for business to make sure any comeback remains viable.

The point is that Friday nights aren't really considered midweek. 

9 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

That is very true however they do still require additional travelling time. I know on a personal level i would attend Rye House if it was operating on a Sat or Sun but realistically wouldn't be able to make any sensible attempts to attend Mon-Fri run meetings without time off from work. 

• Like 2

Well I did hear some time ago a rumour that Pete Sampson and Martin Hagon wanted to run Rye House in the NL, but alas the AGM came and went and nothing was said, I hope either those two or someone else who is passionate about getting a club back will take on the challenge, for me living in Chelmsford a weekend (Saturday night) would be much better than a week night, especially Friday, traffic is just crazy and I am not even talking about the M25, the M11 and A414 is more than capable of causing enough mayhem on their own.

I would certainly support Second division racing at Rye even though Arena Essex is technically my team.

• Like 2

Would be great to see a return but only in the right League and race night.

From my perspective ever since I saw my first racing at Rye as a seasoned supporter of the Sport Rye House was and to my mind always a place to take the kids. Now I have grandchildren who are hooked on speedway they had a great time on Saturday nights and there were plenty of other kids there too

The suicide of Wednesday night racing killed it as the kids were missing as the crowds tumbled. Friday is still midweek, ok so kids are not at school Saturday morning but there is so little time  to get ready and join the car park that is the M25 on Friday evenings. it would deter so many prospective fans. For me with less dirt on the track to accommodate the current bike setups there is more dust and while it was a problem in the 70's and 80's its now a real deterrent for afternoon races.

The NL would be the perfect level to start with for a couple of seasons to test the water and make sure the novelty didn't wear off. Personally i'd be delighted to see Kevin Joolly in charge and a shame that trolls queue up to knock him much in the same way Len Silver was hounded out.

• Like 1

I see a few references to the M25 as an issue. Being unfamiliar with that area, are there really no feasible alternative routes?

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Friday is a traditional working day. People need to get home from work, eat and change potentially and then get to the track. If you live any further than half an hour away you’ll be pushed for time if you finish 5-6pm. Saturday is better and has worked at Rye when we were in the Premier League. 

Some of our potential fan base now could be former Lakeside/Arena Essex fans, it was a nightmare getting there when they ran on a weeknight (including Friday as it is a weeknight). Doing the journey in the opposite direction would be just as much of an issue.