British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

Absolutely westhamboy, I wouldn’t likely attempt travelling on a Friday night for the reasons you give.

On 2/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, westhamboy66 said:

There are other routes which include the north circular the A10 M11 A128 A414 each of which from where I live near Arena Essex are bad enough on a weekday night but twice as bad on a Friday hence all the problems travelling to Lakeside on a friday night. The obvious answer is weekend racing as has always been the case prior to the BMR Fiasco

Even Sunday afternoon will be busy on the roads. Since Sunday trading was allowed, the roads are very busy during the shopping hours. 

RE Sunday, absolutely, the A414 you have the North Weald market traffic as well as the horse boxes to deal with, like Arena Essex, it really comes down to one true option, Saturday evenings.

• Like 2

Rye House under the BMR flag was made into a fantastic race track. All the improvments were looking good except the god awful infield & then the end of the money.

To come back the infield needs to flat for a start.New electrics installed conneced to the main grid.

As for the raceday I think Saturday would be best but I think an earlier start time, possibly 17:00 might be better.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, Paul said:

Of course I want the Rockets to return. But I’m sorry that ‘floating fan’ isn’t the fan you want. Very few people will travel from London to watch speedway at Rye House. Old speedway fans and I include myself in that statement, think when their club shut, speedway did.

Very few people from Wimbledon, White City, Wembley, Romford, Hackney, Crayford, West Ham, New Cross etc.etc. have either passed away or moved out of London.

You need local people from the Hoddesdon area to follow their team. Yes of course the floating supporter is welcomed but they the floating supporters are getting less and less.

Sunday afternoon would mean Mildenhall racing against them. Yes in years gone by you could do that, but realistically that in my opinion is a no go. Monday to Friday [excluding bank holidays] is another no go. Rye House needs Saturday night speedway. After a massive push locally by whoever runs the club must get more locals in. The future generations [kids] don’t have school the following morning after Saturday night and Fridays, well I’m not even going to comment.

If the club really want people travelling from the capital it needs mega publicity and that just isn’t going to happen, because good publicity costs. How many people travel to Kent from London on the train? Not many I guess. If money was no object then an all in one combined train/speedway ticket, similar to what the IOW used to do, but that isn’t going to happen.

Then there’s the admission price. Not everyone can afford to take a family to speedway and free admission for kids is a must and a realistic adult admission price to.

Anyway hopefully all the issues surrounding the return of speedway to Rye House will be overcome.    

Hoddesdon is a small town with a population of just over 40,000. To make Rye House a success the floating fan is very much needed. Not perhaps to be attending every week religiously but to put money in the till as often as they can be enticed to travel to Rye.

To do that you need to ensure the race night is one that is easiest for fans from further afield to attend. Undoubtedly Saturday. Let’s not forget away fans also, some teams do still take travelling support. 

I agree completely with pushing the sport to local schools and in the local area as that has never really been done before either under BMR or Len Silver. There’s not that much to do in Hoddesdon, take advantage of that and let the people in the town know that something exciting is going on in the town. Advertising in London won’t come cheap and won’t attract fans either I’d suggest. Start local and build outwards. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Advertising in London won’t come cheap and won’t attract fans either I’d suggest. Start local and build outwards. 

As a south Londoner - living near Crystal Palace - and without my own transport, it would involve at least a two hour journey each way. It would involve a train to London Bridge (25 minutes), then bus to Liverpool Street (20 minutes). Then train to Rye House (35 minutes). Both the two journeys plus time at the meeting overall six hours and a very late night arrival at home. Even in better times for speedway in London when I attended Wimbledon travel time for me was at least two hours outwards and the same for getting home. 

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

As a south Londoner - living near Crystal Palace - and without my own transport, it would involve at least a two hour journey each way. It would involve a train to London Bridge (25 minutes), then bus to Liverpool Street (20 minutes). Then train to Rye House (35 minutes). Both the two journeys plus time at the meeting overall six hours and a very late night arrival at home. Even in better times for speedway in London when I attended Wimbledon travel time for me was at least two hours outwards and the same for getting home. 

But you aren't interested in modern speedway anyway, as you have stated often enough. Even if someone offered to pick you up and drive you there and back you wouldn't go......

To remind you of what you posted a couple of weeks back

'TBH speedway - modern or historically - has little or nothing to offer me.'

Edited by iris123

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But you aren't interested in modern speedway anyway, as you have stated often enough. Even if someone offered to pick you up and drive you there and back you wouldn't go......

To remind you of what you posted a couple of weeks back

'TBH speedway - modern or historically - has little or nothing to offer me.'

Nice update after I had responded to the original section (not underlined) of your Post!!!

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

Nice update after I had responded to the original section (not underlined) of your Post!!!

It is what you posted in your own words. And it isn’t the first time you have said you have little interest in modern speedway, nor have any intention in attending a meeting, is it ?

18 minutes ago, gustix said:

For a Saturday evening the quicker route would be Southern from Crystal Palace to New Cross Gate then Overground to Whitechapel, then Hammersmith and City to Liverpool Street and then Greater Anglia to Rye House. 1 hour 26 minutes according to TfL website journey planner. You would only be a little slower doing Overground from Crystal Palace to Whitechapel and it would save a change. When Rye was open I used to do Southfields to Liverpool Street on the District line to Edgware Road and then H&C or Circle to Liverpool Street with Greater Anglia to Rye House. Took around the same time and I was always home before 11.30pm, normally before 11pm. Given that we both should have a Freedom Pass and a Senior Railcard the extension from Boundrey Zone 6 cost under £5. By the way it is cheaper to book the extension ticket to Hartford East rather than Rye House, don't ask why just be happy you are using their system against them!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

For a Saturday evening the quicker route would be Southern from Crystal Palace to New Cross Gate then Overground to Whitechapel, then Hammersmith and City to Liverpool Street and then Greater Anglia to Rye House. 1 hour 26 minutes according to TfL website journey planner. You would only be a little slower doing Overground from Crystal Palace to Whitechapel and it would save a change. When Rye was open I used to do Southfields to Liverpool Street on the District line to Edgware Road and then H&C or Circle to Liverpool Street with Greater Anglia to Rye House. Took around the same time and I was always home before 11.30pm, normally before 11pm. Given that we both should have a Freedom Pass and a Senior Railcard the extension from Boundrey Zone 6 cost under £5. By the way it is cheaper to book the extension ticket to Hartford East rather than Rye House, don't ask why just be happy you are using their system against them!

I'm near John, and when Rye was open i used to go via new cross gate as you put above.  Simple enough and i was able to have a beer afterwards before the heading back south.

Far easier when i lived in Highbury, north of the river tho.  Went nearly every week then and only up the road.  Would be lovely to see it back running again.

Edited by The Doctor...

Went to the stadium yesterday

Building work still continuing which is hopefully great news for speedway fans. We just maybe very lucky to have this new landlord after years and years of landlords neglecting the stadium.

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:21 PM, The Doctor... said:

I'm near John, and when Rye was open i used to go via new cross gate as you put above.  Simple enough and i was able to have a beer afterwards before the heading back south.

Far easier when i lived in Highbury, north of the river tho.  Went nearly every week then and only up the road.  Would be lovely to see it back running again.

Blimey! The Doctor being 'brotherly' towards Gustix! Whatever next? Boris and Jeremy going to a nightclub together? :o

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Blimey! The Doctor being 'brotherly' towards Gustix! Whatever next? Boris and Jeremy going to a nightclub together? :o

Would they go on Friday or Saturday night though? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

When I saw the notification that you’d commented i knew it would be something along those lines. When people aren’t trolling I’m brotherly to everyone. 

There are plenty of folk who would gladly give John a lift to Rye or even Kent next year if he so wishes as personally I wouldn’t be recommending the trains to the older generation round here anymore. Lots of london fans (albeit not on this forum) still getting their fix whether it be Kent or Eastbourne these days. Rye would be a doddle for them. 

Anyway  back to bed. Night shift coming up. 

• Like 1