British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

10 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Went to the stadium yesterday

Building work still continuing which is hopefully great news for speedway fans. We just maybe very lucky to have this new landlord after years and years of landlords neglecting the stadium.

I do have concerns that redevelopment is being undertaken by non speedway people. We know how the last owners did or didn’t do so I really hope if Speedway is to return then there is consultation to someone in the know. 

Viewing at the track became difficult once the air fence went in.

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

I do have concerns that redevelopment is being undertaken by non speedway people. We know how the last owners did or didn’t do so I really hope if Speedway is to return then there is consultation to someone in the know. 

Good point GWC, whist the really good news is there is no signs like "Bellway Homes Coming Soon" at the entrance Its not clear where terracing is planned, but as has been mentioned before, some serious money is being spent and if you see the Karting circuit the new leaseholder does things properly, so lets rejoice at that fact at least.

9 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Good point GWC, whist the really good news is there is no signs like "Bellway Homes Coming Soon" at the entrance Its not clear where terracing is planned, but as has been mentioned before, some serious money is being spent and if you see the Karting circuit the new leaseholder does things properly, so lets rejoice at that fact at least.

Are there any pics floating round of the work ? There was a Facebook link before but I couldn’t get it working. 

53 minutes ago, GWC said:

I think viewing always was difficult there. The last time I went, I was watching speedway through a lattice wire fence, unless things altered later on? :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think viewing always was difficult there. The last time I went, I was watching speedway through a lattice wire fence, unless things altered later on? :unsure:

Right now I would take watching Rye House Rockets though a lattice wire fence, full stop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

We were blessed with the old fence at Rye. While the introduction of air fences as mandatory has been a revelation at many tracks the old fence at Rye was probably safer for riders in all honesty. It would give on impact and there was then a run off behind it, whereas with an air fence despite a cushion there is still a more sudden stop on impact. There are many incidents that I can recall that would have probably been worse had an air fence been in place.

As mentioned in other posts the air fence did also make viewing worse at Rye, we do have to accept the times change however and air fences being mandatory is certainly a positive thing on the whole. 

• Like 4

On 2/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, Ben91 said:

We were blessed with the old fence at Rye. While the introduction of air fences as mandatory has been a revelation at many tracks the old fence at Rye was probably safer for riders in all honesty. It would give on impact and there was then a run off behind it, whereas with an air fence despite a cushion there is still a more sudden stop on impact. There are many incidents that I can recall that would have probably been worse had an air fence been in place.

As mentioned in other posts the air fence did also make viewing worse at Rye, we do have to accept the times change however and air fences being mandatory is certainly a positive thing on the whole. 

Whilst a pain for viewing the air fence at Rye was/is a far better design than most. Far fewer posts and held by cables etc still allowing it to give to an extent (not the full roll down the bank on turns 3/4 but closer) and certainly 1000% safer than an airbag strapped to an armco barrier. 

• Like 2

any news on if rye have been accepted ? 

It's a few years since I saw speedway at Rye House. I remember Al Sparrey, Vic Ridgeon, Brian Brett and Gerry King were in the side! :D

1 hour ago, gustix said:

It's a few years since I saw speedway at Rye House. I remember Al Sparrey, Vic Ridgeon, Brian Brett and Gerry King were in the side! :D

My dad was going to have a go at speedway at Rye House, for it was called a nursery track apparently, but he couldn't get the time off work! I reckon it would have been late 40s! :o 

2 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

My dad was going to have a go at speedway at Rye House, for it was called a nursery track apparently, but he couldn't get the time off work! I reckon it would have been late 40s! :o 

If it was 1840s he might have met gustix, otherwise .......:rofl:

23 hours ago, Greg said:

any news on if rye have been accepted ? 

Nothing yet. It's going to take time, if nothing else to get the stadium ready. I'd say it's just a matter of time. There's been a great deal going on.

3 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

Says the man who knows it all. LOL

Actually Robs right, I would expect things may start moving from April meanwhile there is a huge amount being done at the stadium so let them do that first

I was in no way having a go at people who want to get rye house wish they will get back in the league.  I was having a go at  rob telling everyone I was a keyboard warrior when in fact I've in the sport I love for way over 30yrs.