British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Your Grandad was a legend Ben.

Len was involved helping the promotion in 2000 when they had the temporary track to lay every week. He took on the stadium lease the same year but didn't take on sole promotion until 2001.....I think. Others would now better than me.

He’s still going strong and wants to make a trip to Poland to watch a meeting, don’t think they’re ready for him! 

That makes sense, there’s a highlights VHS from the 99 season knocking around in the loft here somewhere and I recall Len being on it remonstrating with a referee for giving a photo finish against David Mason in a Bronze Helmet race (against Adam Allott maybe?) but I knew he wasn’t promoter at that time. 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:10 PM, Ben91 said:

He’s still going strong and wants to make a trip to Poland to watch a meeting, don’t think they’re ready for him! 

That makes sense, there’s a highlights VHS from the 99 season knocking around in the loft here somewhere and I recall Len being on it remonstrating with a referee for giving a photo finish against David Mason in a Bronze Helmet race (against Adam Allott maybe?) but I knew he wasn’t promoter at that time. 

Good to hear he’s still going strong. Wish him all the best from Sarah and me. 

I’m a Bandits season pass holder these days, purely a financial decision, but will always be a Rocket at heart. Hopefully I’ll be able to get down s couple of times a season should the Rockets return 

• Like 1

Was at rye house yesterday with my son for a practice  I must say they are doing a lot of great work off track and it’s looking good and a lot has changed since the last time we were there a few years ago ,the track was perfect and a pleasure to ride a near perfect track according to my son 98%(a little more shale on it Would have been 100% lol) considering the way the weather had been the last few weeks and will provide great racing soon so whoever is doing the track there i take my hat off to you , it was worth the very long 820 mile journey and  they are very hopeful that there will be a team coming to the tapes next season 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Shadders said:

Good to hear he’s still going strong. Wish him all the best from Sarah and me. 

I’m a Bandits season pass holder these days, purely a financial decision, but will always be a Rocket at heart. Hopefully I’ll be able to get down s couple of times a season should the Rockets return 

Will do mate, hope all is well for you, Sarah and the family too.

Makes sense as you’ve got the track on your doorstep, would be silly not to go. Maybe one day there’ll even be another northern tour for the Rockets. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mac101 said:

Was at rye house yesterday with my son for a practice  I must say they are doing a lot of great work off track and it’s looking good and a lot has changed since the last time we were there a few years ago ,the track was perfect and a pleasure to ride a near perfect track according to my son 98%(a little more shale on it Would have been 100% lol) considering the way the weather had been the last few weeks and will provide great racing soon so whoever is doing the track there i take my hat off to you , it was worth the very long 820 mile journey and  they are very hopeful that there will be a team coming to the tapes next season 

Are the Moto X humps and bumps still on the centre green?

Edited by iand

1 hour ago, iand said:

Are the Moto X humps and bumps still on the centre green?

Yes some still there but look like they have flattened a few 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mac101 said:

I take my hat off to you and the other parents that do all those miles for your kids, hope they appreciate it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mac101 said:

Was it your choice to do such a long journey for track time or is there a shortage of training venues?

50 minutes ago, GWC said:

Was it your choice to do such a long journey for track time or is there a shortage of training venues?

My son needed some track time Before the season starts and with the weather up here in Glasgow really bad decided to head south we had planned to practice at Scunthorpe on Saturday But it was cancelled so we new rye house was also open Saturday and weather looked ok so just kept going south and glad we did got plenty Laps in to blow the cobwebs away 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

My son needed some track time Before the season starts and with the weather up here in Glasgow really bad decided to head south we had planned to practice at Scunthorpe on Saturday But it was cancelled so we new rye house was also open Saturday and weather looked ok so just kept going south and glad we did got plenty Laps in to blow the cobwebs away 

Who is your son? and we will root for him with such dedication.

• Thanks 1

Is the main stand still in its same condition, or have they started to make it accessible for old and disabled people, as the steps in the past have been way to steep?

the main stand, as a stand, is gone for good, its going to be some kind of gymnasium.

it's been extended to such a size that the 4th bend is no longer visible from the referees box and the start line floodlights have been removed from the front.

the disabled toilets have also gone 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, winstoncigar said:

the main stand, as a stand, is gone for good, its going to be some kind of gymnasium.

it's been extended to such a size that the 4th bend is no longer visible from the referees box and the start line floodlights have been removed from the front.

So is there any under cover seating on the home straight please?

On 2/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, winstoncigar said:

Does not seem very encouraging for a Speedway return then.

17 hours ago, Mimmo said:

So is there any under cover seating on the home straight please?

The covered grandstand by the pits is still there but theres no seating on the home straight at all now. 

Apparently the old grandstand is now going to be a gymnastics club