British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

2 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

The covered grandstand by the pits is still there but theres no seating on the home straight at all now. 

Apparently the old grandstand is now going to be a gymnastics club

That may explain the large block paved area for parking now.

I think the more they build there for everyday use the better the opportunity that Speedway CAN not only go back there but survive.

No stadium can lie empty and unused for 300+ days a year.

That's how Speedway thrived and did best when sharing stadia with Dogs (especially as could be 4-5 meetings a week) Stocks and Football.

Every day a Stadium is unused is like throwing money away.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

The covered grandstand by the pits is still there but theres no seating on the home straight at all now. 

Apparently the old grandstand is now going to be a gymnastics club

No covered seating at my age would be no attending.  Thanks for the info.

The smoke signals from official sources and other sources are really encouraging regarding Speedway returning to Hoddesdon.

However I hope any future potential promoter does have some input into the new layout of the stadium for viewing spectators.

5 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

The smoke signals from official sources and other sources are really encouraging regarding Speedway returning to Hoddesdon.

However I hope any future potential promoter does have some input into the new layout of the stadium for viewing spectators.

Agree 100%. There is no point making the place ready for racing and not providing a decent amount of seats with a good view of the track - if you want the fans to come. 

On 2/28/2020 at 3:06 PM, Mimmo said:

No covered seating at my age would be no attending.  Thanks for the info.

I heard they won't be wanting anyone over age 50 to attend! :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, Vince said:

No idea what is happening at Rye Speedway wise but I can say with certainty as I've seen it done a few times that Saturday evening Speedway could follow a day of Speedway or flat track practice. There is plenty of time to prep a good track in normal weather conditions.

Also it seems certain that since most Speedway teams are said to be making a loss that the practice sessions are more profitable!

I would take speedway in that guise if needed but I must say there were it feels, many occasions at Arena where the track was not up to normal standards when a match followed an afternoon of practice, it was smooth and safe, just really slick and it did affect the quality of racing on those evenings, especially in the warm summer months, but Rye is a different track and will hopefully more workable as regards proving a track that is not too heavy for practice but can still be tailored to provide plenty of grip for the evening.

14 hours ago, marko said:

I would take speedway in that guise if needed but I must say there were it feels, many occasions at Arena where the track was not up to normal standards when a match followed an afternoon of practice, it was smooth and safe, just really slick and it did affect the quality of racing on those evenings, especially in the warm summer months, but Rye is a different track and will hopefully more workable as regards proving a track that is not too heavy for practice but can still be tailored to provide plenty of grip for the evening.

Since BMR made the track changes at Rye there is a lot more dirt down to work with, certainly more than I remember at Arena. I have practiced there in the afternoon and seen a really good track prepared for the evening that has produced good racing. They have to keep putting water down during practice to avoid dust for the neighbours anyway which must help a lot.

• Like 1

Can we please have a  reality check here.

Do you think fans of Hackney, Cradley, Coventry, Reading, Workington etc etc would say "If you don't provide covered seating I am not going" I think they might say its a shame they haven't build facilities like Belle Vue but I HAVE MY TEAM BACK AND IM MIGHTY LUCKY.

Please we are at a delicate stage and Im sure messages such as on here are read by interested parties, but if you feel so strongly about certain issues Im sure the landlord/Promotor will be very happy for you to put your hand in your own pocket and pay for them yourselves if you wont or cant, then please support those who are.

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Can we please have a  reality check here.

Do you think fans of Hackney, Cradley, Coventry, Reading, Workington etc etc would say "If you don't provide covered seating I am not going" I think they might say its a shame they haven't build facilities like Belle Vue but I HAVE MY TEAM BACK AND IM MIGHTY LUCKY.

Please we are at a delicate stage and Im sure messages such as on here are read by interested parties, but if you feel so strongly about certain issues Im sure the landlord/Promotor will be very happy for you to put your hand in your own pocket and pay for them yourselves if you wont or cant, then please support those who are.

Great. Thanks for the reality check.

Seating? I attended speedway for 30 years before Arena closed, did go to other tracks, seating was the last thing on my mind, as was covered areas but I get that older folk would required that, be it speedway or football I can't watch it live in person sitting down, just don't feel right.

Several of the tracks I have been to have limited undercover seating so I take my own lightweight  fold up seat and, if it looks like raining, some waterproofs. Simples!

• Like 1

If speedway wants to attract new  (and younger) supporters facilities need to be brought into the 21st century.  They don't have to be state of the art but paying customers should at least be able to access decent toilets, buy food and drink and have a choice of seating or bring their own seat if they prefer.  We all know speedway can be a dusty sport to watch on a dry/hot day I hope nobody forgets to shut the windows on the new gym building if speedway returns.  Wonder where the referees box will be relocated to?

Not sure the point of a cover on a speedway stand: if it rains, the meeting's off.

I suppose there will be times when racing continues in a drizzle but then a waterproof with a hood will suffice.

When I go to Lynn, I sit in what they used to call the Royal Box (no roof)---if its cold/windy I stand on the back straight or home straight.

And when the sun shines - third bend is quite commodious.

• Like 1