British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

My old dad always say's bullsh-t baffles brains. I guess Rob is the man to lead the campaign then B)

Don't give up on us, baby
Lord knows we've come this far
Can't we stay the way we are?
The angel and the dreamer
Who sometimes plays a fool
Don't give up on us, I know
We can still come through

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, iris123 said:

My old dad always say's bullsh-t baffles brains. I guess Rob is the man to lead the campaign then B)

Those words always make me cry. #Wedin't come through. Still sad 

League speedway is finished at Rye House. Anyone thinking it can be revived by lobbying the owners needs to have their bumps felt. The new leaseholders have no interest in Speedway and are fully aware that the sport is on its knees everywhere in the UK. 

Any potential promoter would have to come up with a staggering (and I mean Euro millions lottery winning staggering)  amount of money to tempt the new owners into giving them a lease and then have another staggering (maybe a rollover Lotto win) amount of money to get the stadium fit for Speedway.

Treasure your memories but don't let anyone give you any false hopes that the Rockets can be revived, they can't, they're history.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:54 PM, iris123 said:

It's okay iris, thanks to people like you I won't be troubling anyone with help. It's hard enough making things happen without having to fight off so-called supporters. As in all of my other speedway work I have been asked to do it and thanks to my love of the sport I help, without pay.

I do what I can with what I have. I don't force my efforts on anyone. I leave the egotism and self-promotion to others. All I wanted to do was help Rye House but having to red postings like yours does make sure that any other requests for help will be declined. It's just not worth the cynical, nasty response you get.To be honest, as I usually am many speedway fans like you get what they deserve. 

I have never posted anything other than the truth as I understand it in order to help the club and help inform and reassure supporters in the face of often totally ill-informed gossip. 

You'll have to find a new victim. Gradually people like you are weeding out the genuine people and eventually you really will only have the real "bullr peddlers" only interested in themselves. 

I've been ill for several years now. Thanks for the kick in teeth for daring to try to help my club while battling for my health. Why don't you take it on? You seem to know everything and you certainly have the arrogance to do it in a way that idiots will respect.  

R.I.P Rockets, killed by cynics. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Next June will be the 50th anniversary of my first speedway meeting, at Rayleigh. It's taken me half a century to learn to let speedfway get on with it and do not try to help - all you get is abuse. 

I'll just enjoy being a supporter. It's taken a long time to learn to say no. Apologies for trying to help rescue the Rockets. 

9 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

......,I leave the egotism and self-promotion to others.

Comedy Gold even in such sad times, and you don’t even do it on purpose

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:02 PM, Robbo 403 said:

Just seen a stadium announcement that motorcycle sport is finished at Rye House.

Where did you see that Robbo? Do you have a link or something by any chance?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:46 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

Next June will be the 50th anniversary of my first speedway meeting, at Rayleigh. It's taken me half a century to learn to let speedfway get on with it and do not try to help - all you get is abuse. 

I'll just enjoy being a supporter. It's taken a long time to learn to say no. Apologies for trying to help rescue the Rockets. 

I am very curious to learn what it was that you did to try to save the Rockets ?  Did you offer to be the new promoter ?  Or offer cash ?

Every post I read from you seems to indicate that Speedway is on its knees because all your expert offers of help have been declined.

In the days when Arena and the Rockets were in the same league, I was often a visitor to Rye House.  I don't remember you ...should I ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, DenzilF said:

Where did you see that Robbo? Do you have a link or something by any chance?

https://www.facebook.com/BMRFlatTrack

On 8/8/2020 at 8:40 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

It's okay iris, thanks to people like you I won't be troubling anyone with help. It's hard enough making things happen without having to fight off so-called supporters. As in all of my other speedway work I have been asked to do it and thanks to my love of the sport I help, without pay.

I do what I can with what I have. I don't force my efforts on anyone. I leave the egotism and self-promotion to others. All I wanted to do was help Rye House but having to red postings like yours does make sure that any other requests for help will be declined. It's just not worth the cynical, nasty response you get.To be honest, as I usually am many speedway fans like you get what they deserve. 

I have never posted anything other than the truth as I understand it in order to help the club and help inform and reassure supporters in the face of often totally ill-informed gossip. 

You'll have to find a new victim. Gradually people like you are weeding out the genuine people and eventually you really will only have the real "bullr peddlers" only interested in themselves. 

I've been ill for several years now. Thanks for the kick in teeth for daring to try to help my club while battling for my health. Why don't you take it on? You seem to know everything and you certainly have the arrogance to do it in a way that idiots will respect.  

R.I.P Rockets, killed by cynics. 

Just read this and it’s really annoyed me. Cynicism played no part in the demise of Rye House, the track where I watched my first meeting, the team I supported. 

You don’t have the monopoly on feeling hard done by Rob, neither are you any better of a fan because you play the tune that you tried to help. 

Rye House has died because the club was run beyond it’s means. Any other explanation is false. The team ran out of money mid-season. There are further reasons for that of course but that is the black and white. 

• Like 4

On 9/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, Ben91 said:

Just read this and it’s really annoyed me. Cynicism played no part in the demise of Rye House, the track where I watched my first meeting, the team I supported. 

You don’t have the monopoly on feeling hard done by Rob, neither are you any better of a fan because you play the tune that you tried to help. 

Rye House has died because the club was run beyond it’s means. Any other explanation is false. The team ran out of money mid-season. There are further reasons for that of course but that is the black and white. 

Rye House seemed to go into decline very suddenly. When my team went there when the Rockets folded, it was far from successful and as a Hammers

fan I did not enjoy it at all, unlike the days when I used to go ther as a visiting fan to follow my team  (and a few others on occasion) when I really liked

the place.  Such a shame it has been lost for ever.

• Like 1

IMO  the folding of Rye House was much to do with the standard of person now in charge of Speedway . Again IMO Spivs and Wide Boys .

39 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Rye House seemed to go into decline very suddenly. When my team went there when the Rockets folded, it was far from successful and as a Hammers

fan I did not enjoy it at all, unlike the days when I used to go ther as a visiting fan to follow my team  (and a few others on occasion) when I really liked

the place.  Such a shame it has been lost for ever.

As far as I’m concerned the decline was accelerated when BMR came on to the scene. In hindsight things probably began on a downward trajectory from around the end of the 2010 season. We declared a side before the rules changed which would have allowed us to retain Linus Sundstrom who was the stand out rider in the division the season before. The rule change allowed doubling down from the then Elite League and relaxed the conversion rate for averages between the divisions. Len dug his heels in and didn’t redeclare which left us at a disadvantage from the word go. The debacle a season or two after where Jason Doyle was dropped for Steve Boxall was the straw that broke the camel’s back for many regulars and the point that I stopped attending religiously. 

BMR came on to the scene and it was clear they didn’t know how to build a Speedway team, “names” were signed and riders who had done good things before but had since declined markedly. While their desire to run at the highest level was commendable the reality is Rye House had no business being in the top tier, especially once fixed race nights were implemented. Ironically we could have been a force at second tier level and possibly even made a profit. The way the sport is going now the standard of the top tier would have watered down to such a point that racing at that level could have become viable in the near future.

Like you say, things were on the slide before BMR took over. Len knew the crowds were falling and the stadium needed major investment. He never leaves a track when it's making money.