British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Like you say, things were on the slide before BMR took over. Len knew the crowds were falling and the stadium needed major investment. He never leaves a track when it's making money.

It's been a number of years since I last attended a match at Rye House. I think the last match I went to was when I think we drew 45-45 after we had lost both reserves in a crash on the 4th bend in Heat 2, already running rider replacmenet and had Todd Kurtz guesting alongside Doyle, Morris and Grajczonek.

Quite a few years ago now but I always thought Rye's stadium was one of the better speedway stadiums. Seating areas, decent food facility, good views... what or why is this major investment everybody keeps talking about?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

It's been a number of years since I last attended a match at Rye House. I think the last match I went to was when I think we drew 45-45 after we had lost both reserves in a crash on the 4th bend in Heat 2, already running rider replacmenet and had Todd Kurtz guesting alongside Doyle, Morris and Grajczonek.

Quite a few years ago now but I always thought Rye's stadium was one of the better speedway stadiums. Seating areas, decent food facility, good views... what or why is this major investment everybody keeps talking about?

At the end of Len's reign, the stadium was in decline. The wooden terracing and seating areas on the bends were in a state of decay and the electrics needed attention. Some of this work was carried out by BMR, but the place resembled a building site rather than a speedway venue.

The standard of BMR management was exemplified by one of them who arrived in his 4x4 when the whole car park was in gridlock. Unable to grasp this basic fact he proceeded to embark on a horn blowing extravaganza not having the wit to realize that nobody could get out of his way even if they wanted to.

A friend of mine was at the stadium today. Machines are preparing the ground  to lay an all weather football pitch.

• Sad 2

When i attended the Dragons amateur meeting at Rye last December, it felt like a farewell to the old place. The writing was on the wall when i saw the partly demolished grandstand. Plenty of happy memories at a convenient and user friendly track. RIP the launch pad.

• Like 2

So sad to see the pictures of rye house track being ripped up, loved racing there, was always well prepared, another one gone 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 8:40 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

. I leave the egotism and self-promotion to others. 

Got to be the funniest thing said  on this forum for a long time .. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

People buy speedway clubs for many reasons, mostly because they like the sport.  I know of one promoter [name redacted] who a few years ago (within the last 20 or so years) bought [name redacted] speedway team with big ideas for team success, promotion, sponsorship, etc.  Ok so far, only how can I put this, the first speedway meeting he saw was - the very first meeting he ran at his newly purchased club.  Still can't believe these facts are true, but they are.  To this day words still fail me, which doesn't happen often, but it can happen....

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Silver played his part by selling to a bloke who had no idea about the sport and had no attachment to the sport or club. A decision which has ultimately seen the demise of the club. Warren Scott had no real interest and then left the running of the club to Steve Jenson who again had no idea about the sport and came across as completely out of his depth. Had all the personality of a wet lettuce and employed people like Peter Schroeck who was out of his depth. Also seems he overpaid with wages to Harris, Nicholls, KK etc causing issues in the second season in the top flight.

The whole situation is an absolute disgrace and sums up the sport and the prats running it. A track with unlimited restrictions, history in the sport and a profitable business for nearly 20 years. Then half a season of financial issues (due to being forced to run on a weekday by the BSPA) and the track is lost and ripped out within a couple of years.

Chapman and Godfrey were an abomination in charge of the sport and played a huge part in the demise as well. Two more incompetent fools would be hard to find. Bringing fixed race nights nearly ruined many clubs and cost Rye. Rye has never been a midweek club and it was never going to work. After very good crowds in 2017(racing on Fridays/Saturdays) and only just missing out on the playoffs, you can't blame BMR for giving it ago in the top league again but the rule bought in killed the club. For the BSPA to then just chuck the club out midseason and wash their hands of the club was a disgrace. I wouldn't have thought Silver very rarely ever lost money at Rye and Jenson confirmed the finances were in good shape after the first season in the top flight. Three months of problems and the decisions of the BSPA meant the bulldozers have moved in eventually. With idiots like Godfrey still in charge of the sport, there is no hope. This is the bloke who stopped clubs running on their usual nights in case he needed guests for his club...

How did the bloke in there now, Ricky Musk get hold of the venue off BMR? Why were the BSPA not in touch with BMR as soon as they knew they had problems and taking on the stadium or getting another promoter in there?

They sat on their backsides and let someone like Keven Jolly try and get a deal to race at a venue where speedway was the number one priority at the venue for many years

The situation at Rye should make every fan who has an interest in the sport very, very angry. A club with a long history and who had very healthy crowds in 2017 are now lost forever. A sad indictment on the sport.

100% unfortunately.

Rye House speedway much the same as Coventry speedway and Newport speedway in recent years were facilities that had more scope for practice sessions than most other speedway tracks in the Country.

Like has been much said over the years and Peter Oakes said as much in the star the other week, one of British speedways big issues in recent decades has been not owning most of the stadiums speedway takes place in which leaves it at the peril of owners who often grasp the opportunity to have their retirement pot being hansomely supplemented by selling the stadiums.

Rye House, Coventry and Newport speedway tracks along with others could of been part of a National training programme along with the likes Scunthorpe, Lydd, Northside and Sittingbourne as well as continuing to host League racing. 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Chris said:

Silver played his part by selling to a bloke who had no idea about the sport and had no attachment to the sport or club. A decision which has ultimately seen the demise of the club. Warren Scott had no real interest and then left the running of the club to Steve Jenson who again had no idea about the sport and came across as completely out of his depth. Had all the personality of a wet lettuce and employed people like Peter Schroeck who was out of his depth. Also seems he overpaid with wages to Harris, Nicholls, KK etc causing issues in the second season in the top flight.

The whole situation is an absolute disgrace and sums up the sport and the prats running it. A track with unlimited restrictions, history in the sport and a profitable business for nearly 20 years. Then half a season of financial issues (due to being forced to run on a weekday by the BSPA) and the track is lost and ripped out within a couple of years.

Chapman and Godfrey were an abomination in charge of the sport and played a huge part in the demise as well. Two more incompetent fools would be hard to find. Bringing fixed race nights nearly ruined many clubs and cost Rye. Rye has never been a midweek club and it was never going to work. After very good crowds in 2017(racing on Fridays/Saturdays) and only just missing out on the playoffs, you can't blame BMR for giving it ago in the top league again but the rule bought in killed the club. For the BSPA to then just chuck the club out midseason and wash their hands of the club was a disgrace. I wouldn't have thought Silver very rarely ever lost money at Rye and Jenson confirmed the finances were in good shape after the first season in the top flight. Three months of problems and the decisions of the BSPA meant the bulldozers have moved in eventually. With idiots like Godfrey still in charge of the sport, there is no hope. This is the bloke who stopped clubs running on their usual nights in case he needed guests for his club...

How did the bloke in there now, Ricky Musk get hold of the venue off BMR? Why were the BSPA not in touch with BMR as soon as they knew they had problems and taking on the stadium or getting another promoter in there?

They sat on their backsides and let someone like Keven Jolly try and get a deal to race at a venue where speedway was the number one priority at the venue for many years

The situation at Rye should make every fan who has an interest in the sport very, very angry. A club with a long history and who had very healthy crowds in 2017 are now lost forever. A sad indictment on the sport.

You say it as it is and it is very true. Unfortunately British speedway will never change whilst it is run as a personal fiefdom by two promoters who only have their own interests at mind. This type of governance was ok back in the 1960's when we had competent businessmen running the show like Mr Ochiltree but it does not work in 2020. British speedway needs to move with the times. It needs to be run by an independent third party who has no financial or commercial interest in any club. Promoters could still have a say and voting rights of course but not the power that a select few individuals enjoy at the present. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris said:

And I thought I was the only rob Godfrey fan,he really isn't what is required on the management committee imo