British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

11 hours ago, martinmauger said:

People buy speedway clubs for many reasons, mostly because they like the sport.  I know of one promoter [name redacted] who a few years ago (within the last 20 or so years) bought [name redacted] speedway team with big ideas for team success, promotion, sponsorship, etc.  Ok so far, only how can I put this, the first speedway meeting he saw was - the very first meeting he ran at his newly purchased club.  Still can't believe these facts are true, but they are.  To this day words still fail me, which doesn't happen often, but it can happen....

Just to clairfy, [team name still redacted] but I wasn't talking about Rye House....

23 hours ago, Chris said:

Silver played his part by selling to a bloke who had no idea about the sport and had no attachment to the sport or club. A decision which has ultimately seen the demise of the club. Warren Scott had no real interest and then left the running of the club to Steve Jenson who again had no idea about the sport and came across as completely out of his depth. Had all the personality of a wet lettuce and employed people like Peter Schroeck who was out of his depth. Also seems he overpaid with wages to Harris, Nicholls, KK etc causing issues in the second season in the top flight.

The whole situation is an absolute disgrace and sums up the sport and the prats running it. A track with unlimited restrictions, history in the sport and a profitable business for nearly 20 years. Then half a season of financial issues (due to being forced to run on a weekday by the BSPA) and the track is lost and ripped out within a couple of years.

Chapman and Godfrey were an abomination in charge of the sport and played a huge part in the demise as well. Two more incompetent fools would be hard to find. Bringing fixed race nights nearly ruined many clubs and cost Rye. Rye has never been a midweek club and it was never going to work. After very good crowds in 2017(racing on Fridays/Saturdays) and only just missing out on the playoffs, you can't blame BMR for giving it ago in the top league again but the rule bought in killed the club. For the BSPA to then just chuck the club out midseason and wash their hands of the club was a disgrace. I wouldn't have thought Silver very rarely ever lost money at Rye and Jenson confirmed the finances were in good shape after the first season in the top flight. Three months of problems and the decisions of the BSPA meant the bulldozers have moved in eventually. With idiots like Godfrey still in charge of the sport, there is no hope. This is the bloke who stopped clubs running on their usual nights in case he needed guests for his club...

How did the bloke in there now, Ricky Musk get hold of the venue off BMR? Why were the BSPA not in touch with BMR as soon as they knew they had problems and taking on the stadium or getting another promoter in there?

They sat on their backsides and let someone like Keven Jolly try and get a deal to race at a venue where speedway was the number one priority at the venue for many years

The situation at Rye should make every fan who has an interest in the sport very, very angry. A club with a long history and who had very healthy crowds in 2017 are now lost forever. A sad indictment on the sport.

A lot of truth in this. From what i've been told, promises were made by the BSPA (with regard to TV money amongst other things) that were never kept. The new owners of the lease paid a lot of money for it, way way way beyond anything a Speedway promoter would have paid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

You say it as it is and it is very true. Unfortunately British speedway will never change whilst it is run as a personal fiefdom by two promoters who only have their own interests at mind. This type of governance was ok back in the 1960's when we had competent businessmen running the show like Mr Ochiltree but it does not work in 2020. British speedway needs to move with the times. It needs to be run by an independent third party who has no financial or commercial interest in any club. Promoters could still have a say and voting rights of course but not the power that a select few individuals enjoy at the present. 

Is this the same Mr Ochiltree whose sold Leicester Speedway Stadium and the promoter Martin Rogers only found out about by reading the local paper

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:52 AM, 25yearfan said:

100% unfortunately.

Rye House speedway much the same as Coventry speedway and Newport speedway in recent years were facilities that had more scope for practice sessions than most other speedway tracks in the Country.

Like has been much said over the years and Peter Oakes said as much in the star the other week, one of British speedways big issues in recent decades has been not owning most of the stadiums speedway takes place in which leaves it at the peril of owners who often grasp the opportunity to have their retirement pot being hansomely supplemented by selling the stadiums.

Rye House, Coventry and Newport speedway tracks along with others could of been part of a National training programme along with the likes Scunthorpe, Lydd, Northside and Sittingbourne as well as continuing to host League racing. 

When speedway was allowed back into Wimbledon in 2002, the sport was given the keys to the crown jewels. A famous London club, in a stadium with corporate facilitates. What did the BSPA do to back the venture, absolutely nothing. Yet another opportunity was missed by the selfish bufoons that run British speedway.

Guest compost
On 11/21/2020 at 7:07 PM, mickthemuppet said:

Is this the same Mr Ochiltree whose sold Leicester Speedway Stadium and the promoter Martin Rogers only found out about by reading the local paper

Wasn't that the son of the '60s promoter ?  Think the '60s chap passed away the night of a Wembley world final in the '70s (sorry for the fading memory on dates)

Sold West Ham as well, to the dreaded GRA, to help fund the new grandstand at Brandon stadium.

25 minutes ago, compost said:

Wasn't that the son of the '60s promoter ?  Think the '60s chap passed away the night of a Wembley world final in the '70s (sorry for the fading memory on dates)

Charles Ochiltree died in 1998 and was a speedway promoter for   50 years. His son is Martin  who took over until 2003.

Edited by racers and royals

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Sold West Ham as well, to the dreaded GRA, to help fund the new grandstand at Brandon stadium.

So we have a guy who put 50 successful years into speedway promotion, (wouldn't it be great if we had a few individuals with that commitment nowadays), being accused of selling off stadiums when we know he was just one of several directors of Midland sports stadiums ltd & as such would not be the sole decision maker.

None of which has anything to do with the fact that the track at Rye House is being ripped up for no good reason in 2020. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 20 November 2020 at 6:15 PM, Chris said:

Silver played his part by selling to a bloke who had no idea about the sport and had no attachment to the sport or club. A decision which has ultimately seen the demise of the club. Warren Scott had no real interest and then left the running of the club to Steve Jenson who again had no idea about the sport and came across as completely out of his depth. Had all the personality of a wet lettuce and employed people like Peter Schroeck who was out of his depth. Also seems he overpaid with wages to Harris, Nicholls, KK etc causing issues in the second season in the top flight.

The whole situation is an absolute disgrace and sums up the sport and the prats running it. A track with unlimited restrictions, history in the sport and a profitable business for nearly 20 years. Then half a season of financial issues (due to being forced to run on a weekday by the BSPA) and the track is lost and ripped out within a couple of years.

Chapman and Godfrey were an abomination in charge of the sport and played a huge part in the demise as well. Two more incompetent fools would be hard to find. Bringing fixed race nights nearly ruined many clubs and cost Rye. Rye has never been a midweek club and it was never going to work. After very good crowds in 2017(racing on Fridays/Saturdays) and only just missing out on the playoffs, you can't blame BMR for giving it ago in the top league again but the rule bought in killed the club. For the BSPA to then just chuck the club out midseason and wash their hands of the club was a disgrace. I wouldn't have thought Silver very rarely ever lost money at Rye and Jenson confirmed the finances were in good shape after the first season in the top flight. Three months of problems and the decisions of the BSPA meant the bulldozers have moved in eventually. With idiots like Godfrey still in charge of the sport, there is no hope. This is the bloke who stopped clubs running on their usual nights in case he needed guests for his club...

How did the bloke in there now, Ricky Musk get hold of the venue off BMR? Why were the BSPA not in touch with BMR as soon as they knew they had problems and taking on the stadium or getting another promoter in there?

They sat on their backsides and let someone like Keven Jolly try and get a deal to race at a venue where speedway was the number one priority at the venue for many years

The situation at Rye should make every fan who has an interest in the sport very, very angry. A club with a long history and who had very healthy crowds in 2017 are now lost forever. A sad indictment on the sport.

And all done to try and win competitions that, by the very contrived nature the sport is ran, are rendered pretty much worthless..

Imagine changing clubs' fixture lists during the season because there won't be enough 'guest riders' available, and expecting anyone to actually take the sport seriously?:D

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:15 PM, Chris said:

I do not know if my memory is correct. ( maybe someone will tell me?) but when Silver sold the club to the car racing bloke, he carried on running it for at least

one season. Maybe it was a period when he was training the new owners ?  But it all ended in tears and finally ended not only the Rockets, but also my own

Hammers as well. Terrible for the sport, but who was at fault ?  The BSPA for insisting on mid-week racing, or the new owner in moving up to the top league ?

In all of the years that Rye House had success, they were never in the top league.

15 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I do not know if my memory is correct. ( maybe someone will tell me?) but when Silver sold the club to the car racing bloke, he carried on running it for at least

one season. Maybe it was a period when he was training the new owners ?  But it all ended in tears and finally ended not only the Rockets, but also my own

Hammers as well. Terrible for the sport, but who was at fault ?  The BSPA for insisting on mid-week racing, or the new owner in moving up to the top league ?

In all of the years that Rye House had success, they were never in the top league.

I'm not sure if it's still the case , but I thought than when a new owner/ promoter took over the BSPA usually wanted an experienced promoter to be on the license as well for the first year or so 

1 hour ago, DSC67 said:

I'm not sure if it's still the case , but I thought than when a new owner/ promoter took over the BSPA usually wanted an experienced promoter to be on the license as well for the first year or so 

The sport is a mess full stop.

The sport is being run in to the ground by the people running it  Gogfry and Chapman plus the rest of the BSP.

it will only change when fans want  change  .

your comment is spot on .

18 hours ago, East End Fan said:

It was run in tandem for a season or so. Andrew Silver was doing a really good job with the Raiders side but then there was a parting of the ways and the downhill spiral accelerated. 

Moving into the top tier the novelty would have worn off over time even with a weekend race night. Rye has the potential to be a fantastic motorsport facility but the local area isn’t populated enough to make top tier Speedway financially viable long term. 

Yet another gym and yet another all purpose football pitch probably won’t work out either. John Warner sports centre offers both facilities and there are plenty of gyms in the local area that are more easily accessible. 

21 hours ago, Ben91 said:

It was run in tandem for a season or so. Andrew Silver was doing a really good job with the Raiders side but then there was a parting of the ways and the downhill spiral accelerated. 

Moving into the top tier the novelty would have worn off over time even with a weekend race night. Rye has the potential to be a fantastic motorsport facility but the local area isn’t populated enough to make top tier Speedway financially viable long term. 

Yet another gym and yet another all purpose football pitch probably won’t work out either. John Warner sports centre offers both facilities and there are plenty of gyms in the local area that are more easily accessible. 

So who now owns the stadium ?  A friend suggested that it is the same company that owns the Go-Kart track.  Is that right ?  How is it known that a

gym and football pitch is in the plan for the future ?   Or are these just rumours ?