British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

10 minutes ago, winstoncigar said:

I see in the Star that the fantasists are still winding up the old Rockets fans with false hopes....

...the reason this happens is because speedway lives (if that's the right word!) in memories of its past - times that will never albeit sadly ever return.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:08 AM, winstoncigar said:

I see in the Star that the fantasists are still winding up the old Rockets fans with false hopes....

What was said in The Star?

Did laugh when I saw the headline, "The Fight Goes On". The tracks just been flattened

2 hours ago, Chris said:

What was said in The Star?

Did laugh when I saw the headline, "The Fight Goes On". The tracks just been flattened

Same old tom twit. The 'Rye House Speedway Action Group' are going to appeal to the local council planning department.

They also have promoters queueing up to run it. Apparently.

None of whom will have pockets anywhere deep enough.

It did seem possible at one stage going by comments on here that National League racing on a saturday or sunday may happen.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 3:50 PM, winstoncigar said:

Same old tom twit. The 'Rye House Speedway Action Group' are going to appeal to the local council planning department.

They also have promoters queueing up to run it. Apparently.

None of whom will have pockets anywhere deep enough.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion  but perhaps you would like to outline your plans on how to revive Rye House and then we can decide whether its better that "tom twits".

6 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Of course you are welcome to your opinion  but perhaps you would like to outline your plans on how to revive Rye House and then we can decide whether its better that "tom twits".

Plan to revive Rye House?

Win the Euro millions jackpot on Friday. That's about the only chance we've got of seeing speedway again at Rye House Stadium, all the rest is just bluster. (or tom t*t as I tried to put in my original post)

The new owner of the lease doesn't want speedway and as he's sunk a couple of million quid into his vision for the place already it'll take a massive amount of money to change his mind. Is anyone seriously saying that there's that sort of money floating about in the sport to cover that?

The damage has been done and from what I can tell the majority of the blame lies in one place.

Edited by winstoncigar

You may not like or rate Steve (remember in 1999 he and another fan chose not to give in when the track was concreted over for stock cars)  you might be right the odds are clearly in the hands of Musk and his bulldozers and there is only a slim chance of this working but Planning officers can be really awkward (one person closed down Romford and Mildenhall have in the past had problems) but right now I only see him trying to save the day so I will back him. in short its seems its his hope or no hope.

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

You may not like or rate Steve (remember in 1999 he and another fan chose not to give in when the track was concreted over for stock cars)  you might be right the odds are clearly in the hands of Musk and his bulldozers and there is only a slim chance of this working but Planning officers can be really awkward (one person closed down Romford and Mildenhall have in the past  had problems) but right now I only see him trying to save the day so I will back him. in short its seems its his hope or no hope.

This is yet another suggestion to try and save a venue which I see as a speedway 'well past its sell buy date.' I think structural changes have already taken place at Rye House - hasn't a main stand been built over? And what attendance potential for speedway is there for Rye House - probably about 600 with the majority not local residents.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Plan to revive Rye House?

Win the Euro millions jackpot on Friday. That's about the only chance we've got of seeing speedway again at Rye House Stadium, all the rest is just bluster. (or tom t*t as I tried to put in my original post)

The new owner of the lease doesn't want speedway and as he's sunk a couple of million quid into his vision for the place already it'll take a massive amount of money to change his mind. Is anyone seriously saying that there's that sort of money floating about in the sport to cover that?

The damage has been done and from what I can tell the majority of the blame lies in one place.

A 'spot on comment' with opinions I endorse.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

This is yet another suggestion to try and save a venue which I see as a speedway 'well past its sell buy date.' I think structural changes have already taken place at Rye House - hasn't a main stand been built over? And what attendance potential for speedway is there for Rye House - probably about 600 with the majority not local residents.

I would imagine some tracks dream, to get 600 through the turnstiles! :unsure: 

14 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I would imagine some tracks dream, to get 600 through the turnstiles! :unsure: 

I agree Ray Stadia. I was being generous in my assumption Rye House crowds were circa 600. The last time I visited the place was circa 1964 - and they certainly were more than that in those days.

14 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

You may not like or rate Steve (remember in 1999 he and another fan chose not to give in when the track was concreted over for stock cars)  you might be right the odds are clearly in the hands of Musk and his bulldozers and there is only a slim chance of this working but Planning officers can be really awkward (one person closed down Romford and Mildenhall have in the past had problems) but right now I only see him trying to save the day so I will back him. in short its seems its his hope or no hope.

I'm not sure who 'Steve' is, the article in the Star only referred to 'a spokesman' so I can't say whether I like him or not. If he thinks he can save Rye House Speedway without millions then he's deluded whoever he is and there's no kindness in giving fans false hope. Whatever the planning officers say will be after consultation primarily with the new lease holder  but does  anyone think in this day and age they'll favour  motorsport events and facilities over ones that tick all the 'Green' boxes ?

As for the Star, rather than just printing that guff, they'd be better off doing a proper investigation into what went wrong at Rye to try and stop it happening elsewhere, there are still some big questions to be answered.

I've got my Euro Millions ticket though so there's still a chance Rye House can be saved!

Edited by winstoncigar