British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

I genuinely wish you luck tonight.

However on the off chance you don't win then please get behind anybody who is doing his damnest to salvage what is a very bleak situation and I can assure you he has made more progress than many of us thought he would make.

Regarding crowd levels I was actually at a meeting with the BMR promoter at the time and he showed us his records from the first season in the Premiership and the highest crowd was 1,800 and nothing under four figures so 600 is easily attainable.

This is still a long shot reviving the Rockets but there is a maybe a glimmer of hope.

15 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

I'm not sure who 'Steve' is, the article in the Star only referred to 'a spokesman' so I can't say whether I like him or not. If he thinks he can save Rye House Speedway without millions then he's deluded whoever he is and there's no kindness in giving fans false hope. Whatever the planning officers say will be after consultation primarily with the new lease holder  but does  anyone think in this day and age they'll favour  motorsport events and facilities over ones that tick all the 'Green' boxes ?

As for the Star, rather than just printing that guff, they'd be better off doing a proper investigation into what went wrong at Rye to try and stop it happening elsewhere, there are still some big questions to be answered.

I've got my Euro Millions ticket though so there's still a chance Rye House can be saved!

Maybe 'Steve' is the same guy, who was going to bring speedway back to Milton Keynes? :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Maybe 'Steve' is the same guy, who was going to bring speedway back to Milton Keynes? :unsure:

...or had a mention in regard to Wimbledon and Norwich - and as far afield as Spain?

1 hour ago, JohnHyam said:

...or had a mention in regard to Wimbledon and Norwich - and as far afield as Spain?

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Mock away gentleman. Lets just layout a few facts, he jointly re-opened Rye House in 1999 and was not in charge when it shut, he re-opened Wimbledon on his own and was not in charge when it shut. He ultimately failed but spent a fortune of his own money to try to re-launch Norwich after 50 years.

No doubt he has made mistakes and has faults but please feel free to list your achievements on behalf of the speedway world, its so easy just to smirk and snipe.

• Like 1

Anyone trying to save Rye House has my full support. But.

I’m a Rye House fan, I live a stone’s throw from the track. I am a regular contributor to this forum, which is the biggest (potentially only) fan forum for British Speedway. I don’t buy the Speedway Star however. I haven’t heard a peep of any attempts about trying to reopen the track except what I see here. 

Now this isn’t a “why hasn’t anyone told me” comment. I just think if you’re trying to achieve something like saving a Speedway track you should be looking to garner as much local and online support as possible. By all means use the Star as an outlet, but don’t make it your only outlet because not everyone reads it. Just as not all Star readers use this forum, or Twitter, Facebook etc. 

I fear that Rye is beyond saving. If there is a glimmer of hope then it needs to be promoted and exhausted properly before it either works or is given up on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Anyone trying to save Rye House has my full support. But.

I’m a Rye House fan, I live a stone’s throw from the track. I am a regular contributor to this forum, which is the biggest (potentially only) fan forum for British Speedway. I don’t buy the Speedway Star however. I haven’t heard a peep of any attempts about trying to reopen the track except what I see here. 

Now this isn’t a “why hasn’t anyone told me” comment. I just think if you’re trying to achieve something like saving a Speedway track you should be looking to garner as much local and online support as possible. By all means use the Star as an outlet, but don’t make it your only outlet because not everyone reads it. Just as not all Star readers use this forum, or Twitter, Facebook etc. 

I fear that Rye is beyond saving. If there is a glimmer of hope then it needs to be promoted and exhausted properly before it either works or is given up on. 

Thanks Ben91 for supporting anyone trying to turn this thing around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I agree. Rye House is 'the past'. Let's look elsewhere and try to salvage where other speedway track problems look likely to arise.

3 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

I agree. Rye House is 'the past'. Let's look elsewhere and try to salvage where other speedway track problems look likely to arise.

coming from someone who last went there in 1964 you seem to know a lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

That’s not what I’m saying at all John. 

Shame that Peterborough and Ipswich who don’t own their own tracks got bailed out and Rye House who had no restrictions weren’t.

Sad thing is we all know rye is gone regardless of the effort put in by those wanting to save it at its current location. Surely these efforts would be better directed at re inventing it at a different location in the same locality 

7 hours ago, Ben91 said:

That’s not what I’m saying at all John. 

Shame that Peterborough and Ipswich who don’t own their own tracks got bailed out and Rye House who had no restrictions weren’t.

To what bail outs at Peterborough and Ipswich are you referring please?

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Sad thing is we all know rye is gone regardless of the effort put in by those wanting to save it at its current location. Surely these efforts would be better directed at re inventing it at a different location in the same locality 

I don’t think the interest is here for a new venture sadly. Or there are too many hurdles I should say. Rye worked because it was already in-situ. There was also some kind of clause on the land that it had to be used for sport I believe. To buy land with planning permission this close to London would take deep pockets, you’d make your money back and then some by building houses on the land, not a Speedway circuit. If you were silly enough to try and do that I suspect those responsible for giving such permission would probably kick you out on the basis that there was a Speedway track in Hoddesdon and it went out of business. Even though that isn’t the full story. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I don’t think the interest is here for a new venture sadly. Or there are too many hurdles I should say. Rye worked because it was already in-situ. There was also some kind of clause on the land that it had to be used for sport I believe. To buy land with planning permission this close to London would take deep pockets, you’d make your money back and then some by building houses on the land, not a Speedway circuit. If you were silly enough to try and do that I suspect those responsible for giving such permission would probably kick you out on the basis that there was a Speedway track in Hoddesdon and it went out of business. Even though that isn’t the full story. 

You are correct Ben91 that is the hope however longshot it is.

13 hours ago, Ben91 said:

There was also some kind of clause on the land that it had to be used for sport I believe. 

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

You are correct Ben91 that is the hope however longshot it is.

Maybe the criteria the land must be used for sport is being met? That could be covered by five-a-side football, activities in a gymnasium? The clause did not specify sole use for speedway.