British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

The BSPA have been asked to put out the link to object to planning but aren't interested. I noticed they put the link to object to Coventry out last week though. Tossers.

This sort of crap and the way the BSPA played a significant role in the closure of Rye House, it's no wonder the sport is dying on its arse.

8 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

had a very interesting chat this morning with someone who appeared to have a pretty good idea of the events that led up to the closure at Rye House. As I suspected, the root cause of the failure lies with the BSPA

Not a surprise at all. BMR and Scott wouldn't have hung around for long though with his bankruptcy/financial issues. Always thought the way Musk got hold of the lease was dodgy what with Scott being made bankrupt and HMRC probably sniffing around at that period... Did Scott owe him money(must have known each other through the motorsport/construction world) and offered the stadium??

13 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Any mention of Sky money?

We are desperately trying to prove that the track is viable, in the  right hands. Anything that undermines that isn't helpful. 

Sorry to say that its not viable and it would appear that promises of tv money that would have just about made it viable never materialised. The infrastructure needed so much investment that it would have failed whoever was running it, I was told that a nessessary electricity upgrade alone was likely to cost in excess of £200k.  One big question is where did the tv money go and why? Why, two and a half years after incorporation, are there no full accounts filed for British Speedway Promotors Ltd? What happened to the money the now defunct BSPA had?

I applaud your efforts though I can't help wishing someone would put as much effort into uncovering the truth while theres just about time to save any Speedway in the UK

13 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Sorry to say that its not viable and it would appear that promises of tv money that would have just about made it viable never materialised. The infrastructure needed so much investment that it would have failed whoever was running it, I was told that a nessessary electricity upgrade alone was likely to cost in excess of £200k.  One big question is where did the tv money go and why? Why, two and a half years after incorporation, are there no full accounts filed for British Speedway Promotors Ltd? What happened to the money the now defunct BSPA had?

I applaud your efforts though I can't help wishing someone would put as much effort into uncovering the truth while theres just about time to save any Speedway in the UK

I'm sorry but the last thing, the very LAST thing we need is a posting like this. You praise us for our efforts at the same time as kicking the ladder out from us. 

What's more important, the fight to save Rye House or your ego? I'll give you a while to  think that one through. 

This forum really does more damage to the sport than people like you realise. We've just had a tough week then we get a kick in the teeth like this. How the hell do you know what is or isn't viable? How do you know how much capital prospective promotions have? I know one of the prospective promoters is a builder who is well aware of the work needed. 

I know, you're "Just saying". So am I. I'd made it clear that this project would be the last thing I would do for speedway. Stupid postings like yours from people hiding like cowards behind stupid names convince me that I've made the right decision. At least I've tried to do something rather than play the lazy cynic and try to pass myself off as someone with special insight. I recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of my first meeting. It's time to go.....

Yes that is a harsh response. So is losing Rye House especially if people like you help the people doping it. Are you really unable to see the damage this causes?

Rob McCaffery. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

On 8/11/2021 at 1:26 AM, Chris said:

Thanks to all those who submitted objections but it would seem that less commented than for the previous application. I think only two or three BSPL promoters objected and as far as I can see nothing from the BSPL Board. An absolute disgrace by a company that is supposed to promote speedway in the UK. 

Martin Widman Wight Warriors

Edited by Great Central
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Great Central said:

Thanks to all those who submitted objections but it would seem that less commented than for the previous application. I think only two or three BSPL promoters objected and as far as I can see nothing from the BSPL Board. An absolute disgrace by a company that is supposed to promote speedway in the UK. 

Martin Widman Wight Warriors

To be honest Martin I think it's a lost cause and it really pains me to say that. . I used to enjoy my trips to Rye House. The racing was good and the fish and chips were even better. Can any potential promoter though really hold his or hers hand up and say -yes I can make running speedway a profitable business at Hoddesdon that will serve the community well? The leisure facilities and football pitches that the new owners propose will generate far more income and will serve the community for the whole year.  You are spot on though about the BSPL response to all of this. As long as it doesn't affect Supreme Chancellor Godfrey's interests then who cares. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, JamesHarris said:

To be honest Martin I think it's a lost cause and it really pains me to say that. . I used to enjoy my trips to Rye House. The racing was good and the fish and chips were even better. Can any potential promoter though really hold his or hers hand up and say -yes I can make running speedway a profitable business at Hoddesdon that will serve the community well? The leisure facilities and football pitches that the new owners propose will generate far more income and will serve the community for the whole year.  You are spot on though about the BSPL response to all of this. As long as it doesn't affect Supreme Chancellor Godfrey's interests then who cares. 

Having spent several hours today on our case it's frankly demoralising to have to read this kind of ill-informed comment. 

We have signed affidavits from five prospective promotions, many comprising some very respected speedway figures who all attempted to deal with Musk over reinstating speedway at Rye House. I rather trust their judgement of a nameless observer. 

How do you know it's a lost cause? You lazy, negative posters keep putting such statements online without ANYTHING to support them apart from their own ill-informed judge,ment. 

Normally such rubbish can be ignored but in our delicate position I really question the motivation and judgment of people making such remarks. 

It would be welcome if we could get on with the job without self-serving 'experts' trying their best to undermine the whole thing. Yes it IS damaging. I'm fighting ill-health to help Rye House and quite frankly when I see comments like this and 'winstoncigar''s I really question whether I should continue. But that's the way of speedway - shoot down anyone who's actually trying to achieve something. I'm so glad this is my final involvement. The 'experts' can carry on trashing the sport to feed their stupid egos in peace soon. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Having spent several hours today on our case it's frankly demoralising to have to read this kind of ill-informed comment. 

We have signed affidavits from five prospective promotions, many comprising some very respected speedway figures who all attempted to deal with Musk over reinstating speedway at Rye House. I rather trust their judgement of a nameless observer. 

How do you know it's a lost cause? You lazy, negative posters keep putting such statements online without ANYTHING to support them apart from their own ill-informed judge,ment. 

Normally such rubbish can be ignored but in our delicate position I really question the motivation and judgment of people making such remarks. 

It would be welcome if we could get on with the job without self-serving 'experts' trying their best to undermine the whole thing. Yes it IS damaging. I'm fighting ill-health to help Rye House and quite frankly when I see comments like this and 'winstoncigar''s I really question whether I should continue. But that's the way of speedway - shoot down anyone who's actually trying to achieve something. I'm so glad this is my final involvement. The 'experts' can carry on trashing the sport to feed their stupid egos in peace soon. 

I wish you luck with you plans and I hope you prove me wrong. I understand your frustrations but your attack is very personal and extremely unprofessional. I am entitled to my opinion just as others on this forum are. You may not like them but sometimes people will say it as it is (myself being one of them). I am neither Lazy nor Ill informed and I am not undermining your project. I am not a self serving expert either. Sometimes you have to listen rather than pretending to live in la-la land. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I fail to see why Rob McCaffery objects to comments on this forum.  I presume the Town Planning Department is not privy to them ? Good luck to Rob In his efforts to

save the club. I presume that if he is successful, he will be part of whatever promoting team is set up. Will need more than a few quid to get it going again.

• Like 1

If you have objected or supported the application on the East Herts council website I hope you all realise your full address is publicly there for all to see. Not sure If I'd want tom, dick and harry knowing where I lived. 

3 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I wish you luck with you plans and I hope you prove me wrong. I understand your frustrations but your attack is very personal and extremely unprofessional. I am entitled to my opinion just as others on this forum are. You may not like them but sometimes people will say it as it is (myself being one of them). I am neither Lazy nor Ill informed and I am not undermining your project. I am not a self serving expert either. Sometimes you have to listen rather than pretending to live in la-la land. 

Rye House was one of a few profitable tracks from 2000-2017 and Len Silver never lost money at Rye House. If you come up with nonsense and ask if anyone can make money then you are showing a lack of knowledge. It's no wonder someone has a pop.

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

If you have objected or supported the application on the East Herts council website I hope you all realise your full address is publicly there for all to see. Not sure If I'd want tom, dick and harry knowing where I lived. 

What a strange observation. I wouldn't have thought anyone gives a toss where you live. It's an objection to a planning application. Do you think the applicant is going to put nasty messages through your letterbox?

Edited by Chris

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Rye House was one of a few profitable tracks from 2000-2017 and Len Silver never lost money at Rye House. If you come up with nonsense and ask if anyone can make money then you are showing a lack of knowledge. It's no wonder someone has a pop.

What a strange observation. I wouldn't have thought anyone gives a toss where you live. It's an objection to a planning application. Do you think the applicant is going to put nasty messages through your letterbox?

One assumes then that you are at the forefront of the project to bring Speedway back to Hoddesdon and are doing so with an open cheque book? I wish you well - you will need it and I hope you can make something to cover your return.

2017 was four years ago. If Uncle Len was making so much money from it why did he wash his hands of it and go to Kent?

If you want your address to be public then that's your call. But ask yourself this - When most of the objections come from people who live 100 miles away do you really thing East Herts Council are going to take those objections into account compared to those in favour or against that live local? Again a case of people living in la la land.

9 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

If you want your address to be public then that's your call. But ask yourself this - When most of the objections come from people who live 100 miles away do you really thing East Herts Council are going to take those objections into account compared to those in favour or against that live local? Again a case of people living in la la land.

Bit more to it than that though. This is retrospective permission, councils really don't like rules being broken as it sets a precedent. I don't know the background to Rye House moving to Kent but all objections are taken into account.

2 hours ago, Deano said:

Bit more to it than that though. This is retrospective permission, councils really don't like rules being broken as it sets a precedent. I don't know the background to Rye House moving to Kent but all objections are taken into account.

Very little weight will be given to objections with no connection from the area, unless it is a matter of factual expertise or you can introduce a local connection (e.g. visiting Hoddesdon and spending money in local economy), and I think most councillors would be sceptical of the latter if they were aware  of how speedway operated.

You are right about councillors attitude to retrospective applications, but most still get passed.