British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

On 8/19/2021 at 6:47 AM, Deano said:

Bit more to it than that though. This is retrospective permission, councils really don't like rules being broken as it sets a precedent. I don't know the background to Rye House moving to Kent but all objections are taken into account.

I think it was partly due to travel for Len up from Kent.

Sadly the stadium needed huge investment to bring it up to current safety standards and I think Len didn’t have that to give.

2 hours ago, GWC said:

I think it was partly due to travel for Len up from Kent.

Sadly the stadium needed huge investment to bring it up to current safety standards and I think Len didn’t have that to give.

It wasn't much better when BMR took over. It was like watching speedway in a building site. I attended the last ever amateur meeting at Rye in December 2019. I was shocked to see the grandstand partly demolished.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It wasn't much better when BMR took over. It was like watching speedway in a building site. I attended the last ever amateur meeting at Rye in December 2019. I was shocked to see the grandstand partly demolished.

My favourite was when the refs box became a trestle table on some planks halfway up the scaffolding!

On 8/6/2021 at 11:35 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

I'm sorry but the last thing, the very LAST thing we need is a posting like this. You praise us for our efforts at the same time as kicking the ladder out from us. 

What's more important, the fight to save Rye House or your ego? I'll give you a while to  think that one through. 

This forum really does more damage to the sport than people like you realise. We've just had a tough week then we get a kick in the teeth like this. How the hell do you know what is or isn't viable? How do you know how much capital prospective promotions have? I know one of the prospective promoters is a builder who is well aware of the work needed. 

I know, you're "Just saying". So am I. I'd made it clear that this project would be the last thing I would do for speedway. Stupid postings like yours from people hiding like cowards behind stupid names convince me that I've made the right decision. At least I've tried to do something rather than play the lazy cynic and try to pass myself off as someone with special insight. I recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of my first meeting. It's time to go.....

Yes that is a harsh response. So is losing Rye House especially if people like you help the people doping it. Are you really unable to see the damage this causes?

Rob McCaffery. 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:59 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

Having spent several hours today on our case it's frankly demoralising to have to read this kind of ill-informed comment. 

We have signed affidavits from five prospective promotions, many comprising some very respected speedway figures who all attempted to deal with Musk over reinstating speedway at Rye House. I rather trust their judgement of a nameless observer. 

How do you know it's a lost cause? You lazy, negative posters keep putting such statements online without ANYTHING to support them apart from their own ill-informed judge,ment. 

Normally such rubbish can be ignored but in our delicate position I really question the motivation and judgment of people making such remarks. 

It would be welcome if we could get on with the job without self-serving 'experts' trying their best to undermine the whole thing. Yes it IS damaging. I'm fighting ill-health to help Rye House and quite frankly when I see comments like this and 'winstoncigar''s I really question whether I should continue. But that's the way of speedway - shoot down anyone who's actually trying to achieve something. I'm so glad this is my final involvement. The 'experts' can carry on trashing the sport to feed their stupid egos in peace soon. 

I can see your passion in these posts & I would wish for speedway to return to Rye House. however I think your fight is not with any posters on the BSF but with East Herts council. 

Each & every poster on here weather using their own name or an assumed name is entitled to their opinion & thats all it is I'm sure they bere you no ill will & support you in your quest but your targeted outbursts against any that doubt the final outcome being anything but favourable to you is misguided.

I hope you can at least stall the project but like many others I think the land owners have a strong case & their plans to provide a facility that can be used all year over speedway opperating on a weekend between March & October. I have to say that the last promotion have made promises to provide several facilities (Dance Studio, Gym, KTM dealership & a bar/Restaurant) but although some were started none were completed.

Good luck

• Like 2

Great song - Dont give up on us baby - David Soul

Great film - Never say never again - James Bond

Great Book - Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

Edited by Rayleigh

I have just songs to offer:

"Fool If You Think It's Over" - Chris Rea. 

"The Long & Winding Road" - Beatles

"Homeward Bound" - Paul Simon

Just nice songs - nothing else....honest.

DJ Rob (unretired?)

Yes I'm passionate. You try to kill my Rockets and you'll find out how passionate. The story so far is incredibly complex and would make a good basis for a poorly-written  book (If I were the author). The end is not far off now, it seems. As for offending certain members of the BSF, oh I really do hope I do. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

4 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I have just songs to offer:

"Fool If You Think It's Over" - Chris Rea. 

"The Long & Winding Road" - Beatles

"Homeward Bound" - Paul Simon

Just nice songs - nothing else....honest.

DJ Rob (unretired?)

Yes I'm passionate. You try to kill my Rockets and you'll find out how passionate. The story so far is incredibly complex and would make a good basis for a poorly-written  book (If I were the author). The end is not far off now, it seems. As for offending certain members of the BSF, oh I really do hope I do. 

"Homeward Bound" - Paul Simon wins it for me

Edited by Rayleigh

Sounds like it's looking more positive looking on the Rye Facebook page. Fair play to the RHAG for their efforts.

Track measurements taking place. Interesting what area they will have to work with as possible junior football pitch in the middle plus it looked as though there was paving over where the track used to be. I'd hope if there is a blank canvas that they contact Chris Morton and get the dimensions for the NSS or the Oak Tree Arena. Obviously, it wouldn't be as big but something that rides the same as those tracks would be ideal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

Sounds like it's looking more positive looking on the Rye Facebook page. Fair play to the RHAG for their efforts.

Track measurements taking place. Interesting what area they will have to work with as possible junior football pitch in the middle plus it looked as though there was paving over where the track used to be. I'd hope if there is a blank canvas that they contact Chris Morton and get the dimensions for the NSS or the Oak Tree Arena. Obviously, it wouldn't be as big but something that rides the same as those tracks would be ideal.

If we had the space or budget for an NSS replica obviously it would be the choice. I think a more likely template to work from would be Redcar or Glasgow.

This of course pre-supposes we win the fight. Right now there are many possible outcomes, some almost absurd and when all is over we can share the stories. Many of those outcomes would see us win. Many would still se Musk have his way. It is in many ways a game of poker so you'll understand us not revealing too much yet. It depends on Musk, his partner O'Malley, the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, the East Herts Council and finally the Local Government Ombudsman. It could even end in court. There is a heck of a lot of persuasion and negotiation going on. 

A return of the Rockets is no certainty, nor is it some foolish, over-optimistic pipe dream. We just have to ask the faithful to wait. I think we're not too far from the end. 

• Like 1

There is a chance that we will not have to worry about a football pitch. 

Still a long way to go. 

It might be necessary to retitle this thread "Rye House 2023", or even 2022.

A detailed proposal has today ben submitted to landlords Carter & Bailey that, if accepted, will see the Rye House track restored along with all facilities necessary to stage the sport.  A Saturday night race day is proposed, with Sunday afternoons as the alternative. We have offered a realistic rent proposal. 

There has been a fundamental change in attitude by C&B, at least by part of it. IF the agreement is accepted......................the fight will be over.

We could be on the brink of saving the Rye House Rockets. We have the requirements for track licencing from the SCB. We have the money to pay for the track reinstatement and air fence. All we need is for C&B to unite and accept the deal. 

No, I don't believe it either.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It might be necessary to retitle this thread "Rye House 2023", or even 2022.

A detailed proposal has today ben submitted to landlords Carter & Bailey that, if accepted, will see the Rye House track restored along with all facilities necessary to stage the sport.  A Saturday night race day is proposed, with Sunday afternoons as the alternative. We have offered a realistic rent proposal. 

There has been a fundamental change in attitude by C&B, at least by part of it. IF the agreement is accepted......................the fight will be over.

We could be on the brink of saving the Rye House Rockets. We have the requirements for track licencing from the SCB. We have the money to pay for the track reinstatement and air fence. All we need is for C&B to unite and accept the deal. 

No, I don't believe it either.

Have faith!  I hope it does come to fruition as I was at the last meeting held before closure touring tracks in the south.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, edmon said:

Have faith!  I hope it does come to fruition as I was at the last meeting held before closure touring tracks in the south.

If Steve pulls this off you'll have to come down for the reopening. Why not bring the 'Dale Devils ;-)

55 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

If Steve pulls this off you'll have to come down for the reopening. Why not bring the 'Dale Devils ;-)

Hi Rob I hope all your efforts and Steve brings back rye house. more tracks the better for our sport. Got to admit I thought it had gone a while ago how wrong I was. 

Rye great track loved going there over the winter for practice 900 mile round trip for a well prepared track think peter Shorek did the track work last few times we were down hope it comes back