British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

Would be a dream to see Rye House back. I’m 300+ miles away, so home meetings are a no no for me. Hopefully get to see them when they come up to Berwick 

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

Hi Rob I hope all your efforts and Steve brings back rye house. more tracks the better for our sport. Got to admit I thought it had gone a while ago how wrong I was. 

Thank you. Bad news travels fast, but not always in the right direction. A lot of people made false assumptions. Thank you for your support and apology. Much has changed but little actually destroyed. 

It still could go wrong but at least we have put up, a damn good fight.

15 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Would be a dream to see Rye House back. I’m 300+ miles away, so home meetings are a no no for me. Hopefully get to see them when they come up to Berwick 

I know the feeling, my family managed to move me to the Midlands from late 1976, just in time to miss the great Fiala/Garrad/Mullarkey team. They moved me back to London judt in time for the '79 title theft by the Bog Moggies. 

I had a solution - pretend I was going out for Sunday drives in the Midlands - then head south. 

This all coincided with three years at uni in Liverpool. I can still remember the sheer seediness of the carriages back from Euston late on Sundays. It's not always easy to be a supporter.

There's still a way to go but we might look at streaming. We're hopefully going to attract fans from all over London and the south east (large in area but sadly small in numbers) who might be interested in what we're doing but not able to travel to all our meetings and would buy a stream to fill the gaps. 

I'm studying the excellent service offered by Edinburgh and a similar 'in-house' service might be an idea. 

Let's get the track back first.......

Sounds hopeful. Well done in all your efforts , keep it going and fingers crossed. Sure Saturday nights at Rye would be very well supported. Back in 2017 when speaking to fans there they seem to have come from far and wide and many from closed tracks. i'll be there for a start ! Really hope to see the Rocketrs back , first ever meeting as a kid. Rayleigh Weir 1969 Dingle Brown Geoffrey Maloney and so on 

• Like 1

Great to hear the fight continues. Happy to help however I can, albeit that could be limited given my full-time job and Councillor duties (unfortunately not in Hertfordshire, otherwise I could have been much more useful).

Would definitely be first in the queue to walk back through the doors!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Thank you. Bad news travels fast, but not always in the right direction. A lot of people made false assumptions. Thank you for your support and apology. Much has changed but little actually destroyed. 

It still could go wrong but at least we have put up, a damn good fight.

Rob is right, Steve is putting up one helluva fight and hes not won yet but he has made significant progress.

The opposition are learning the old adage "Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in dog"

Edited by Rayleigh

Many congratulations Rob for all your efforts. You have persevered, very often in the face of so much negativity and scornful comments from the very people who purport to still call themselves speedway enthusiasts. I know you are not home and dry just yet (as also we are not at Birmingham), but the prospects look more than promising now, and you deserve so much credit for all you have done.

Very best wishes for the future, and I do hope that you will think again before carrying out your threat to sever your connection with speedway. We need people like you - especially in these difficult times.

16 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I know the feeling, my family managed to move me to the Midlands from late 1976, just in time to miss the great Fiala/Garrad/Mullarkey team. They moved me back to London judt in time for the '79 title theft by the Bog Moggies. 

I had a solution - pretend I was going out for Sunday drives in the Midlands - then head south. 

This all coincided with three years at uni in Liverpool. I can still remember the sheer seediness of the carriages back from Euston late on Sundays. It's not always easy to be a supporter.

There's still a way to go but we might look at streaming. We're hopefully going to attract fans from all over London and the south east (large in area but sadly small in numbers) who might be interested in what we're doing but not able to travel to all our meetings and would buy a stream to fill the gaps. 

I'm studying the excellent service offered by Edinburgh and a similar 'in-house' service might be an idea. 

Let's get the track back first.......

An outsiders view - if you get the price point of the streaming right you will have a chance of attracting decent numbers. Charge double figures per meeting like those clubs do then forget it.

I really hope the bspl get behind this as the south east has become a waste land currently for the sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

I really hope the bspl get behind this as the south east has become a waste land currently for the sport.

Not sure what your expecting from the BSPL ?

They have no money , no power except inside their own minority sport and haven’t shown a lot of interest in assisting other ‘defunct’ tracks , except Leicester when they were closing as there was a bit of self interest involved .We can hardly call any region a hot bed of speedway these days , maybe the north  ? ( Belle Vue, Sheffield, Scunthorpe , Redcar, Newcastle, Berwick ).

• Like 1

I don’t think any region has suffered more than the south east - all London tracks gone and Essex Kent Surrey Sussex and Herts without a league team. This would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GWC said:

I don’t think any region has suffered more than the south east - all London tracks gone and Essex Kent Surrey Sussex and Herts without a league team. This would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago.

When you put it like that... :(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Why is the thread title:

Rye House 2020

We are now nearing the end of 2021!

Because the thread is from 23 January 2020 maybe?

So what if it takes 2 years or 3 years to reopen Rye House, as long as someone is trying to reopen Rye House.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I am not belittling efforts to reopen Rye House. I saw my first meeting there in April 1954!!! I just thought that a thread indicating happenings NOW would be better. 

The happenings of now are on this page of the thread.

The happenings of January 2020 are on page 1 of this thread.    You can follow the entire thing through in chronological order from page 1 to the present.   It's not a difficult concept.....well not for most.