British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

On 5/23/2020 at 7:42 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

The ref's box is seen in the photo. It's always been out of alignment with the start line, as was its predecessor which I am very familiar with. 

No room on the back straight unless you bring the track back in. 

Actually, that is not true.  While I have never been a weekly visitor to Rye,  I did go on odd occasions when there was a meeting that interested me.

I remember that a new referees box was constructed more or less alongside the original one and it most certainly was opposite the starting line.

I think the change came after a couple of top international meetings were staged, but I may be mistaken on that point.  I'm pretty sure that when the

new box was installed, the front part of the old box was taken down which gave the ref in the new box vision of the 1st bend.  There was a lot of talk about it

among fans at the time with opinions mostly in favour as I recall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

Actually, that is not true.  While I have never been a weekly visitor to Rye,  I did go on odd occasions when there was a meeting that interested me.

I remember that a new referees box was constructed more or less alongside the original one and it most certainly was opposite the starting line.

I think the change came after a couple of top international meetings were staged, but I may be mistaken on that point.  I'm pretty sure that when the

new box was installed, the front part of the old box was taken down which gave the ref in the new box vision of the 1st bend.  There was a lot of talk about it

Relying on old memories here so I can't comment on all subsequent box positions but the last one seems to have been pretty much as far from the start as my era's. To be in line with the start it would have been very tight against the main stand. 

I know it's been a while now but I did spend about 150 meetings in the old box. Apart from announcing I was the timekeeper and that involved determining race order at the end of each lap, including the final result so I was pretty focussed on how difficult it was to compensate for the angle and distance from the line.

It would have been interesting to work in its replacement(s) but that wasn't to be.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

4 hours ago, East End Fan said:

The refs box had to be moved in line with the start to get FIM accreditation to run international events. This was done and then the old refs box became the home of T2TV when filming meetings I believe. 

Something tells me that the ref’s box was once again repositioned after the BMR takeover but my interest had waned by that time so I didn’t attend much and I can’t be 100% sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben91 said:

The refs box had to be moved in line with the start to get FIM accreditation to run international events. This was done and then the old refs box became the home of T2TV when filming meetings I believe. 

Something tells me that the ref’s box was once again repositioned after the BMR takeover but my interest had waned by that time so I didn’t attend much and I can’t be 100% sure. 

Thanks Ben. I lost touch during the FIM period. Certainly the box seen in photos and on TV was not in alignment. 

I'd hoped to find out for myself in 2018 after my illness but they'd gone bust before my recovery!

On 5/25/2020 at 3:57 PM, Ben91 said:

Yes, Ben91. Your memory of the situation is the same( or similar) to my own. I do recall that international meetings had an effect on

the building of a new refs' box which sat at the top of  some timber terracing with the burger bar at the bottom. I used to sit in the original stand

which had very steep steps that I had to be very careful with, but I got a great view of the racing. I was not aware that the new promoters changed it 

again as I did not go there when they took over.  I am told that the track and fence are still there and used for training. Is that still the case ?

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Yes, Ben91. Your memory of the situation is the same( or similar) to my own. I do recall that international meetings had an effect on

the building of a new refs' box which sat at the top of  some timber terracing with the burger bar at the bottom. I used to sit in the original stand

which had very steep steps that I had to be very careful with, but I got a great view of the racing. I was not aware that the new promoters changed it 

again as I did not go there when they took over.  I am told that the track and fence are still there and used for training. Is that still the case ?

Following closure for public racing BMR carried on running speedway practice and Flat Track meetings at Rye House, even after the stadium had been bought by the Musks of the kart track. BMR had been hired by them on a one year deal to run the stadium. 

Since then there has been substantial building work at the stadium but there are no reports of the track itself being affected. The practice sessions were running up to lockdown. 

Genuine question out of interest.

What does the news today that Peter Shroeck and Martin Hagon are going to set up and run a Junior Track at Kings Lynn mean for Rye House?

Would have thought both would have been keen to set up Training at Rye House especially if a Team was likely to ride there?

or are the two not linked?

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Genuine question out of interest.

What does the news today that Peter Shroeck and Martin Hagon are going to set up and run a Junior Track at Kings Lynn mean for Rye House?

Would have thought both would have been keen to set up Training at Rye House especially if a Team was likely to ride there?

or are the two not linked?

I'd say that practice could be held at Rye House without Peter Schroeck. In any case what we are looking for is league speedway, not practice sessions. 

I have just heard some very sad news that the plans for the Rye House stadium does NOT include ANY speedway.

Like at Coventry and Oxford I think it is important to contact the owners of the Kart Track to politely demonstrate that there is a big demand for Speedway and could they please reconsider their decision.

Edited by Rayleigh

Here we go again :-(

One bad promotion and over 80 years of history swept away on a whim. How would the kart people feel if the situation was reversed? Yes, there's no sentiment in business, but karting and speedway are meant to be sports...

At least with Eddie Lesley the track was still there, albeit under tarmac. With the Musks having had to endure BMR even after the takeover I suppose it's inevitable that they have no respect for speedway.

Hard to begin a fight with the pandemic taking priority.

Our sport can be so fragile. One bad promotion and extinction, as at Coventry and Oxford. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

'Rayleigh' has opened a thread in the main news section of the forum. Since that will attract more vital attention I suggest we transfer the discussion there. 

I've just posted this in there. Any further comment from me will be in that thread.

"I've made a start by posting this on their Facebook page. Obviously it is only an opening shot.

"A story is circulating in speedway forums that despite encouragement to believe that speedway had a future at Rye House that that is no longer the case. Is it possible to issue a statement to confirm or deny this story please?
I am one of many who have been following speedway for nearly half a century at Rye House and are dismayed that one failed promoting company could spell the death of London and the South East's last remaining speedway track. If so, imagine how you would feel if the situation was reversed?"

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

'Rayleigh' has opened a thread in the main news section of the forum. Since that will attract more vital attention I suggest we transfer the discussion there. 

I've just posted this in there. Any further comment from me will be in that thread.

"I've made a start by posting this on their Facebook page. Obviously it is only an opening shot.

"A story is circulating in speedway forums that despite encouragement to believe that speedway had a future at Rye House that that is no longer the case. Is it possible to issue a statement to confirm or deny this story please?
I am one of many who have been following speedway for nearly half a century at Rye House and are dismayed that one failed promoting company could spell the death of London and the South East's last remaining speedway track. If so, imagine how you would feel if the situation was reversed?"

I think the legendary Uncle Len Silver at Kent and the Dugards at Eastbourne would challenge the fact that Rye is the last Speedway Track in the South East.

Don't wish to sound thick but isn't Rye house in the Home Counties anyway?

5 hours ago, HGould said:

I think the legendary Uncle Len Silver at Kent and the Dugards at Eastbourne would challenge the fact that Rye is the last Speedway Track in the South East.

Don't wish to sound thick but isn't Rye house in the Home Counties anyway?

FFS! Rye House is under direct threat and all you idiots in the BSF is to pick on details. I said that to influence the karts not set up a row with pedants in the BSF. Of course Sittingbourne IS in the south east. What would you have me say to Musk "This i the last track in London & the South East apart from a track in Kent, oh and two other training tracks."

The story is confirmed as being true by a primary source. Still, the fact that Kent is in the south east is FAR, FAR more important. Are you sure I put all the commas in the right place? Did I use the right font? 

There are times when the BSF's  sick priorities make you despair. Is it because the bigger story is too hard for you to understand? 

I was going to try to help get a Save Rye House campaign but to be honest I'm sick of people like you and others like you in the BSF. Let someone else do the work. 

Congratulations to you and all the other BSF loudmouths. You win. 

Speedway loses but as long as you are right who cares? 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

13 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

FFS! Rye House is under direct threat and all you idiots in the BSF is to pick on details. I said that to influence the karts not set up a row with pedants in the BSF. Of course Sittingbourne IS in the south east. What would you have me say to Musk "This i the last track in London & the South East apart from a track in Kent, oh and two other training tracks."

The story is confirmed as being true by a primary source. Still, the fact that Kent is in the south east is FAR, FAR more important. Are you sure I put all the commas in the right place? Did I use the right font? 

There are times when the BSF's  sick priorities make you despair. Is it because the bigger story is too hard for you to understand? 

I was going to try to help get a Save Rye House campaign but to be honest I'm sick of people like you and others like you in the BSF. Let someone else do the work. 

Congratulations to you and all the other BSF loudmouths. You win. 

Speedway loses but as long as you are right who cares? 

Blimey..the rantings of a prima donna. Nobody so far as I can see has actually commented on your ideas to try to save Rye House. A fan from 

Birmingham simply pointed out that there are other tracks in the area, one operated by the man who introduced professional league racing to

Rye House.  Maybe Mr Mc Caffery should try to persuade him to join the campaign to get the Rockets back on track ?.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Blimey..the rantings of a prima donna. Nobody so far as I can see has actually commented on your ideas to try to save Rye House. A fan from 

Birmingham simply pointed out that there are other tracks in the area, one operated by the man who introduced professional league racing to

Rye House.  Maybe Mr Mc Caffery should try to persuade him to join the campaign to get the Rockets back on track ?.

Thank you EEF. 

My experience of Birmingham also tells me accuracy when dealing with officialdom is also vital. 

Wouldn't take anyone reading Mr Mccaffrey claims to discover 2 successfully run Clubs in South East in Kent and Sussex. 

O level geography tells me Kent and Sussex are actually in the South East too. 

North of London is the Home Counties. 

If Mr Mccaffrey wants any help he only has to ask someone like Brian Buck who would no doubt be able to show Mr Mccaffrey a few campaign skills and how a humble approach wins friends. 

• Like 2