British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

Chapman and especially Godfrey are a pair of absolute clowns.

Sad to see Rye go. So many southern based sides gone in the past 15 years. Exeter, Trelawny, Reading, Oxford, Newport, Arena , Rye. Sad.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HenryW said:

I understand the frustration, but the changing race nights was not just a UK thing, it was a European speedway issue.
Genuine question...Do you think things would have been different if Rye had dropped down a league? 
Surely they weren't FORCED to race midweek, just had to race midweek if they wanted to be in the top league in the UK?

Didnt they get some 'bounce' off the demise of Lakeside too? 

Rye for me always seemed a well ran 'traditional 2nd Division' team that every now and then would unearth a 'gem' and they had a decent season on the back of it..

Mostly though I saw them as mid to lower table most years but always seeming to make money, and riders never ever mentioning payment issues..

A shame it was allowed to all go wrong.. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris said:

The whole thing is an absolute disgrace and the Speedway Star should be asking questions about the whole episode. The role of the two imbeciles, Chapman/Godfrey needs to be questioned as they played a major part in the clubs demise.

So many unanswered questions.

For a start:

Who fouled up the TV deal that led to the enormous drop in the revenue that was originally used to entice a move to the top flight?

Who forced through a change of race nights before the anouncement of the reduced TV money?

Why weren't riders who were owed money after racing stopped paid out of the bond that all promoters were required to lodge with the BSPA and was it a coincidence that the BSPA formed itself into a limited liability company while riders were still chasing wages?

Why did the BSPA appear to put so many hurdles in the way of the queue of promoters that were allegedly lining up to take over from BMR?

Did the BSPA, SCB or any other governing body of the sport ever contact the new leaseholder of the stadium to see if there was a way to keep the track open?

Maybe the Star could look at that rather than just giving us fans a tantalising glimpse of a fantasy that won't happen.

• Like 2

Fair play to Ribbons or anyone attempting to make it difficult for Musk. T0ssers like him shouldn't be able to trample over years of history. The best outcome is for motorsports only to be enforced at the site and this will put him in a difficult position.

I don't see Rye ever returning now as the track is gone and lease to someone who doesn't care about the club/sport.

The whole thing is an absolute disgrace and the Speedway Star should be asking questions about the whole episode. The role of the two imbeciles, Chapman/Godfrey needs to be questioned as they played a major part in the clubs demise.

Thanks for your support Chris. You have always been direct but I have nearly always agreed with your comments

You don't need to like Steve Ribbons and if you have past issues with him please park it  Right now he is doing everything he can to try to save the day for Rye House, its gonna be hard but he has made real progress (it would be bad timing to list the details right now). Keep going Big Steve.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HenryW said:

I understand the frustration, but the changing race nights was not just a UK thing, it was a European speedway issue.
Genuine question...Do you think things would have been different if Rye had dropped down a league? 
Surely they weren't FORCED to race midweek, just had to race midweek if they wanted to be in the top league in the UK?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other I think. The attitude I always seemed to get from BMR was that they wanted to compete at the top level. I think they tried to run before they could walk too. The fixed race nights did exasperate things but the way our expulsion was handled was terrible in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

Didnt they get some 'bounce' off the demise of Lakeside too? 

Rye for me always seemed a well ran 'traditional 2nd Division' team that every now and then would unearth a 'gem' and they had a decent season on the back of it..

Mostly though I saw them as mid to lower table most years but always seeming to make money, and riders never ever mentioning payment issues..

A shame it was allowed to all go wrong.. 

I don’t think there was any Lakeside bounce. Our crowds did go up initially but that was due to having the likes of Harris and Nicholls riding for us. That novelty was always going to wear off.

Second tier Speedway could have been sustained at Rye House undoubtedly. Taking Rye into the top tier was bad business. Anyone who thinks otherwise, the team went bust. 

Lakeside’s ultimate demise came after ours, they raced their last home meetings at Rye House. Another thing that sits ill with me. The last heat at Rye House didn’t even feature Rye House. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other I think. The attitude I always seemed to get from BMR was that they wanted to compete at the top level. I think they tried to run before they could walk too. The fixed race nights did exasperate things but the way our expulsion was handled was terrible in my opinion. 

I don’t think there was any Lakeside bounce. Our crowds did go up initially but that was due to having the likes of Harris and Nicholls riding for us. That novelty was always going to wear off.

Second tier Speedway could have been sustained at Rye House undoubtedly. Taking Rye into the top tier was bad business. Anyone who thinks otherwise, the team went bust. 

Lakeside’s ultimate demise came after ours, they raced their last home meetings at Rye House. Another thing that sits ill with me. The last heat at Rye House didn’t even feature Rye House. 

The Lakeside meetings staged at Rye were a disaster for both clubs. Those six matches could have easily put me off of speedway for life. The stadium was a dump by then with awful facilities. Power cuts, rain offs, curfews and no variety in the opposition. These events virtually finished the track off. I'm glad i attended the amateur meeting last December, for old times sake.

56 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Lakeside meetings staged at Rye were a disaster for both clubs. Those six matches could have easily put me off of speedway for life. The stadium was a dump by then with awful facilities. Power cuts, rain offs, curfews and no variety in the opposition. These events virtually finished the track off. I'm glad i attended the amateur meeting last December, for old times sake.

This is why I've never agreed with the 'any speedway is better than none' brigade as bad speedway can do more harm than good in the long run.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 2:43 AM, HenryW said:

It had become a bit stale at Rye in the old PL. Len Silver put some awful sides together in his last few years and had pissed a lot of fans off with his "I'll do it my way" attitude towards the fans. It needed a change after his 15 years in charge, but he sold to the wrong people and that has seen the demise of the club.

The season in the Premiership was a breath of fresh air and the crowds proved that. Rye only just missed out on the playoffs that season in the final meeting and would have had a good chance of winning the league as they stuffed eventual champions Swindon that evening.

In hindsight, BMR should have gone back down to the Championship, but it would have been a huge step down after a successful season in the Premiership.

I'm sure the BSPA offered BMR money and assurances after they forced fixed race nights, but sounds like they never came and their role in the whole episode is a disgrace

They also let Swindon keep their regular race night that season I recall and refused to allow it for Rye even when they knew the club was in trouble due to midweek meetings...

Edited by Chris

11 hours ago, Chris said:

It had become a bit stale at Rye in the old PL. Len Silver put some awful sides together in his last few years and had pissed a lot of fans off with his "I'll do it my way" attitude towards the fans. It needed a change after his 15 years in charge, but he sold to the wrong people and that has seen the demise of the club.

The season in the Premiership was a breath of fresh air and the crowds proved that. Rye only just missed out on the playoffs that season in the final meeting and would have had a good chance of winning the league as they stuffed eventual champions Swindon that evening.

In hindsight, BMR should have gone back down to the Championship, but it would have been a huge step down after a successful season in the Premiership.

I'm sure the BSPA offered BMR money and assurances after they forced fixed race nights, but sounds like they never came and their role in the whole episode is a disgrace

They also let Swindon keep their regular race night that season I recall and refused to allow it for Rye even when they knew the club was in trouble due to midweek meetings...

I do not know chapter and verse about what happened, but as I remember it, Silver sold out to a local millionaire car racing guru who promised to sink

loads of cash into upgrading the stadium and all the facilities.  But on my last ever visit, I was appalled at the state he had allowed the place to get into

so his promises were very empty.  So you are quite right, Silver sold to the wrong people.  Be nice if we could turn back the clock.

• Like 1

Looking over the fence  it is not looking good, all the banking from the bends has been removed to centre green level and is now a 15 foot pile of shale just before the entrance of the 3rd bend.

Sounds like Musk is doing all this without planning permission. T0sser.

The whole episode needs looking into how he got the lease from BMR/Liquidators, why the planning permission for the gymnasium was never made public and how he has been able to get away with flattening the place when he doesn't have permission and goes against the terms of the lease...

On 12/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, Chris said:

Sounds like Musk is doing all this without planning permission. T0sser.

The whole episode needs looking into how he got the lease from BMR/Liquidators, why the planning permission for the gymnasium was never made public and how he has been able to get away with flattening the place when he doesn't have permission and goes against the terms of the lease...

He bought the company that owned the lease, liquidators were never involved.

Sad to see.