British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Rye House 2020

27 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

The happenings of January 2020 are on page 1 of this thread.    You can follow the entire thing through in chronological order from page 1 to the present.   It's not a difficult concept.....well not for most.

Fat better than having multiple posts all stemming from the same thing, eh? :t:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GWC said:

I don’t think any region has suffered more than the south east - all London tracks gone and Essex Kent Surrey Sussex and Herts without a league team. This would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago.

You can include Oxfordshire, Berkshire & Wiltshire in that list.

Good luck to those involved in trying to resurrect Rye House speedway, if ran properly it has been proven in the past to be more than viable. I suggest that maybe if the stifling set racenights hadn't been enforced then possibly Rye House wouldn't have closed a few years back cause Saturday nights in the top flight were well supported?

But Rob you've fallen into your mate Steve Ribbons trap of getting involved in petty arguments on forums which can make you look amateurish, looking for notoriety and rub people up the wrong way.

I think you and Steve mean well and your doing what the BSPL should have done a couple of years back with Rye House with the generous planning on offer and just basically keeping a track going but I think it'd be wise to keep your distance from online forums.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Good luck to those involved in trying to resurrect Rye House speedway, if ran properly it has been proven in the past to be more than viable. I suggest that maybe if the stifling set racenights hadn't been enforced then possibly Rye House wouldn't have closed a few years back cause Saturday nights in the top flight were well supported?

But Rob you've fallen into your mate Steve Ribbons trap of getting involved in petty arguments on forums which can make you look amateurish, looking for notoriety and rub people up the wrong way.

I think you and Steve mean well and your doing what the BSPL should have done a couple of years back with Rye House with the generous planning on offer and just basically keeping a track going but I think it'd be wise to keep your distance from online forums.

Agree with that :t:

20 hours ago, GWC said:

I don’t think any region has suffered more than the south east - all London tracks gone and Essex Kent Surrey Sussex and Herts without a league team. This would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago.

The vast majority of the losses of speedway venues in London and the South East have been due to loss of  land and the huge profits to be made selling land for housing.  £1000 a week rent for speedway 5 months of the year - bah why bother ? When the carrot of millions of pounds for housing developments is dangled , not much will get in the way..... eventually. 

There is also a change in the demographic of the supporters - who used to live close to city centre stadia. Local support was strong - local shops and businesses would advertise the speedway with some pride and receive complimentary tickets for doing so. Now these  places house a different crowd, with no interest in outdoor sports, cocooned in the million pouind apartments and watching the latest online film offerings on their 60 inch TV's.

Speedway tracks in the South East it seems have to attract crowds from far afield ..... with the associated costs of travel and in some cases even car parking charges. 

However, Grass Track racing in the South East continues to attract large crowds to one off events scattered around the countryside. Folks seen happy to travel a distance for an afternoon's entertainment, with a beer tent , and an option for overnight camping on the field. Getting up close and personal with the riders who are often more relaxed and seem to be enjoying themselves   .... taking the family out for a jaunt into the countryside having a picnic and maybe even getting splattered with mud watching... all adds to the atmosphere seems to be the "product" (to use the latest buzz word)  that people like.

6 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Steve walked away a long time ago. As for me I find it hard to tolerate injustice and malevolent postings. IO try to keep up with matters affecting speedway and more specifically our plans. 

Of course we mean well. I've been  a Rockets fan since they were at Rayleigh and despite the poisonous attitudes of too many supporters I still love the sport deeply. Despite illness I am helping Steve for no payment, just love of the Rockets. When I see ill-informed people undermining our efforts of course In see red. 

The intention was to see this campaign to its conclusion then walk away back to the "terraces". It seems if wse do win the fight I will still be wanted and needed. Lord knows why. I'd rather just watch Edinburgh's marvellous back catalogue of old season's videos. 

Isn't there something wrong with me having to walk away from social media than the abusers? 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

I'm afraid thats the nature of social media, I avoid most of it apart from going on here cause I like to see whats going on in the speedway World.

Still in your current position of trying to convince persons with the power to say yes or no, that reopening Rye House speedway is worthwhile, arguing online and biting at people who maybe aren't saying correct things and/or have a different opinion to yours isn't productive.

Now I fell out with your mate Steve Ribbons on here years ago cause I correctly said that he isn't the right person to run a speedway outfit but I respect him cause he was a major player in the 1999 rebirth of Rye House speedway and the 2002 reopening of Wimbledon. - History proves all this correct.

I see a similar story possibly emerging at Rye House.

I wish all your efforts in reopening Rye House speedway the best of luck. 

Like I said before the (so called) BSPL back when the last promotion running it folded, should have made more effort to keep the track going cause Rye House is a proven League track and also has less restrictions which means it can be used for training purposes!

Best way to beat all your critics is to prove them wrong by a successful conclusion to your campaign with speedway taking place at Rye House again, good luck again! 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

I'm afraid thats the nature of social media, I avoid most of it apart from going on here cause I like to see whats going on in the speedway World.

Still in your current position of trying to convince persons with the power to say yes or no, that reopening Rye House speedway is worthwhile, arguing online and biting at people who maybe aren't saying correct things and/or have a different opinion to yours isn't productive.

Now I fell out with your mate Steve Ribbons on here years ago cause I correctly said that he isn't the right person to run a speedway outfit but I respect him cause he was a major player in the 1999 rebirth of Rye House speedway and the 2002 reopening of Wimbledon. - History proves all this correct.

Like I said before the (so called) BSPL back when the last promotion running it folded, should have made more effort to keep the track going cause Rye House is a proven League track and also has less restrictions which means it can be used for training purposes!

Best way to beat all your critics is to prove them wrong by a successful conclusion to your campaign with speedway taking place at Rye House again, good luck again! 

Again, endorse your cmments

Ribbons obviously has some good points, but commenting on an open discussion forum wasn't one of them. You have to take the good and bad comments. That seems to be a failing with Rob umpteen times over the years

Sure though everyone wishes Rye House a successful future

6 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

What he said!

Ignore the keyboard clowns and the idiots trying to disrupt what you're doing.    Don't even bother to argue or engage with them.

Just keep up the good work.  Keep us genuine speedway fans informed of any developments.  Let us know if any support is needed with letters or petitions.

Good luck with everything you're trying to do.    I'd love to visit Rye House again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Just what is the point? 

I'm already fighting ill-health. Enough is enough. The utter rubbish I've had to put up with for the crime of trying to resurrect the Rockets now it's the "Fit and proper person" angle. Your words of encouragement are rather flimsy given your preceding comments. 

My record within speedway should be robust enough. Clearly it isn't. 

Time to put myself first. I'm sure Steve will cope. Don't believe the utter rubbish that's written about him. What's the point of all this effort if it's going to be constantly undermined.

But then you all know more than me. Who needs hours on the phone sorting out policy and tactics, responses to correspondence with the park authority, Carter & Bailey, East  Herts Council plus trying to get the local media onside and making sure that we are closely following SCB requirements, no you all know far better....

I still love this sport. God only knows how and why. Time to retire to the terraces and work through Edinburgh's superb video archive.

Speedway and too many of its fans and me? We just don't fit. I believe in honesty and friendship, rather than aggression and deceit. 

Better things to do. As was once said. "You can't be reasonable with unreasonable people". 

I'm sure Rye House will do fine without me, probably far better. Now where's that queue of willing alternatives? Time to return to my own standards. 

Rob (A Rocket 1971-2021)

Just ignore the silly old fool. He wants a rise, don't give it to him

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Just ignore the silly old fool. He wants a rise, don't give it to him

That would be great except people do believe him. Someone's threatening to report him to the council, SCB and BSPL.

It would be wonderful to just turn your back. Anyway it's not just him, it's the other nutters and my health - I've quit the action group. I was already in a bad before this came up.

Just one final point before I go. There was a discussion in another, now deleted thread whether Rye House could operate in 2022. There in fact have been verbal discussions with one of the landlords which suggested a deal for 22 was possible. Whether the work could be completed on time of the BSPL would sanction this is another matter, so the comment in that other thread that there was no chance of RH running in 22 was rather wide of the mark.

As I've said, funny how some people know more about our business than we do.

Yes, I'm best out of it.

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Just what is the point? 

I'm already fighting ill-health. Enough is enough. The utter rubbish I've had to put up with for the crime of trying to resurrect the Rockets now it's the "Fit and proper person" angle. Your words of encouragement are rather flimsy given your preceding comments. 

My record within speedway should be robust enough. Clearly it isn't. 

Time to put myself first. I'm sure Steve will cope. Don't believe the utter rubbish that's written about him. What's the point of all this effort if it's going to be constantly undermined.

But then you all know more than me. Who needs hours on the phone sorting out policy and tactics, responses to correspondence with the park authority, Carter & Bailey, East  Herts Council plus trying to get the local media onside and making sure that we are closely following SCB requirements, no you all know far better....

I still love this sport. God only knows how and why. Time to retire to the terraces and work through Edinburgh's superb video archive.

Speedway and too many of its fans and me? We just don't fit. I believe in honesty and friendship, rather than aggression and deceit. 

Better things to do. As was once said. "You can't be reasonable with unreasonable people". 

I'm sure Rye House will do fine without me, probably far better. Now where's that queue of willing alternatives? Time to return to my own standards. 

Rob (A Rocket 1971-2021)

I tend to believe that many of the voices  and opinions expressed on this forum are not representative of the majority and certainly not of the average speedway supporter. A few negative comments on a forum should not influence your decisions in relation to Rye House. I wish you good luck and hope you can see sense to ignore any negativity on here. All the best, Andy.

Edited by AndyPresley
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

I tend to believe that many of the voices  and opinions expressed on this forum are not representative of the majority and certainly not of the average speedway supporter. A few negative comments on a forum should not influence your decisions in relation to Rye House. I wish you good luck and hope you can see sense to ignore any negativity on here. All the best, Andy.

Thanks Andy. It's sadly not a matter of 'seeing sense'. I know these are not fully representative but nonetheless some are very damaging if left unchallenged. People are taken in and worse still there are people who have a vested interest in blackening our reputation can, and have seized on the opportunity offered to try to blacken us with the authorities with whom we are conducting fragile discussions.

It really is a tense and personal poker game and I know it also exhausts Steve at times. Add in my other health problems and eventually something snaps. This is all very easy - until you do it.

• Like 1