British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Soldier Boy

As we're having a bit of a lull in the silly season, I thought I'd relive a few memories.

Soldier Boy was Ray Wilson's number one supporter at Blackbird Road Leicester in my memory in the early 70's. Indeed I think he used to follow Ray everywhere including guest appearances for other clubs. He was famous (infamous) and used to stand right by the starting gate at Blackbird Road. He regularly had very vocal exchanges with opposing fans.

I have a vague recollection that he switched his support to Ole Olsen at some point in time (Ray Wilson retired or moved to Birmingham?). But I don't remember what became of him (if I ever knew).

Any memories?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

As we're having a bit of a lull in the silly season, I thought I'd relive a few memories.

Soldier Boy was Ray Wilson's number one supporter at Blackbird Road Leicester in my memory in the early 70's. Indeed I think he used to follow Ray everywhere including guest appearances for other clubs. He was famous (infamous) and used to stand right by the starting gate at Blackbird Road. He regularly had very vocal exchanges with opposing fans.

I have a vague recollection that he switched his support to Ole Olsen at some point in time (Ray Wilson retired or moved to Birmingham?). But I don't remember what became of him (if I ever knew).

Any memories?

I certainly remember his appearances at Hyde Road back in the day.

Stood by the gate there too.  Always good banter with fans.  

Edited by lastword
  • Like 1

Remember when Garry Middleton invited him onto the centre green at Cowley so as to continue with a "discussion" that had got rather heated!

Didn't he end up winning the lottery or something? Last rider I knew who vented his support was Neil Evitts (?)

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

As a kid i thought he was a right nutter, but looking back now, i reckon he was a just great wind up merchant.

• Like 1

Remember at Reading during their Tilehurst days he gatecrashed the 'Tug of War' involving riders at the end of season fun and games in 1972 or 1973.

I remember Soldier Boy at all Hyde Road meetings after I started going in 1978...Ole Olsen was certainly his favourite from what I remember and I can recall Olsen winning the second half at Hyde Road and going to the fence to give Soldier Boy his trophy...Always stood at the tapes and was very vocal.. 

• Like 1