British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martin297

Possible Odsal news

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18185364.speedway-stock-cars-return-unused-odsal-stadium/

Saw this linked from a banger forum,could be good news!

13 minutes ago, martin297 said:

Some parts of the stadium have been condemned, there is no track, pits or safety fence and there are new houses quite near but yes, if some idiot with enough dosh and the wherewithal to jump through the necessary hoops should come along, it could be 'good news' Don't hold your breath though.

• Like 4

Don’t know the realities of speedway back at Odsal but I always loved watching there, it was so different to watching at Wolves, which I love by the way, I used to go and watch even when Wolves  weren’t there if it looked a good meeting 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

I am sorry to say Speedway will never come back to Odsal it's better to flatten it.

Not sure how you "flatten" a bowl already sunken into the ground.

However I would imagine the most profitable use for Odsal now is to use it for landfill to fill it up to ground level.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Not sure how you "flatten" a bowl already sunken into the ground.

However I would imagine the most profitable use for Odsal now is to use it for landfill to fill it up to ground level.  

That big hole in the ground as the late John Berry used to refer to it as.

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That big hole in the ground as the late John Berry used to refer to it as.

I remember one night the meeting v the Aces getting 'fogged off' yet it was all clear at turnstile level when we all walked out..

The fog basically 'sat in the bowl' ... :D

• Like 2

Just now, mikebv said:

I remember one night the meeting v the Aces getting 'fogged off'

A rare occurrence in my experience.
There was an individual meeting at Wolverhampton fogged once. Actually, curtailed. They got to heat 12 or thereabouts. The winner was declared but he had to get down from the podium and walk across the track so the crowd could see the trophy.

And to prove I'm not shy about my age. The winning rider was Johnny Boulger

4 minutes ago, False dawn said:

A rare occurrence in my experience.
There was an individual meeting at Wolverhampton fogged once. Actually, curtailed. They got to heat 12 or thereabouts. The winner was declared but he had to get down from the podium and walk across the track so the crowd could see the trophy.

And to prove I'm not shy about my age. The winning rider was Johnny Boulger

Obviously John Boulger was happier riding in fog rather than snow! Recall the time that the whole Cradley team walked out at Cowley when the snows came...and Boulger was forever christened "Snowflake" by the Cowley faithful after that!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I have some footage somewhere of the track in the 90s it resembled that of a ploughed field lumps and bumps everywhere it wasn't really rideable at all riders were wobbling around I have never ever seen a track look so bad

Steve Rees seems cautiously optimistic about taking the cars back, if that happens I would imagine adding speedway would be the logical next step.

21 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I am sorry to say Speedway will never come back to Odsal it's better to flatten it.

I wish I had such certain knowledge of the future. Got any future winning lottery numbers?

Edited by RobMcCaffery

19 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I have some footage somewhere of the track in the 90s it resembled that of a ploughed field lumps and bumps everywhere it wasn't really rideable at all riders were wobbling around I have never ever seen a track look so bad

Aren't you a Poole fan?:rolleyes: