British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martin297

Possible Odsal news

20 hours ago, False dawn said:

A rare occurrence in my experience.
There was an individual meeting at Wolverhampton fogged once. Actually, curtailed. They got to heat 12 or thereabouts. The winner was declared but he had to get down from the podium and walk across the track so the crowd could see the trophy.

And to prove I'm not shy about my age. The winning rider was Johnny Boulger

It was fogged off at Halifax once which was also in a bowl.

43 minutes ago, Dornier said:

It was fogged off at Halifax once which was also in a bowl.

I went to two fog affected meetings at Arena Essex in the mid 1990's. One was called off at start time and the other only run, because Lew Stripp refereed it from the centre green due to the poor visability!

• Haha 1

Have be a brave person or persons who reopen speedway at Odsal which couldn't pull in even a 1000 people regularly to watch the brilliant Bradford Dukes team win the 1st ever Elite League title in 1997!

That said its not impossible and is more likely to happen if stock cars return to the venue where the four wheeled sport was previously very well supported.

League Speedway, International speedway, stock cars, Bradford Park Avenue FC and Bradford Bull RLFC?

Edited by 25yearfan

20 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Have be a brave person or persons who reopen speedway at Odsal which couldn't pull in even a 1000 people regularly to watch the brilliant Bradford Dukes team win the 1st ever Elite League title in 1997!

That said its not impossible and is more likely to happen if stock cars return to the venue where the four wheeled sport was previously very well supported.

League Speedway, International speedway, stock cars, Bradford Park Avenue FC and Bradford Bull RLFC?

Bear in mind  stock car racing in the north is in crisis over the probable loss of Belle Vue. They're building up Sheffield's activities but Odsal would be a vital addition. Sharing the costs between two sports must help speedway's chances.

The fundamental problem IS that Odsal is simply too big. Perhaps only opening the home straight stand and first bend lower terracing might at least condense the crowd and its atmosphere rather than have supporters having to communicate with the person next to them by shouting.

• Like 1

I fear people are remembering the Odsal of the late 80s and 90s. Went to a rugby match there this summer and the place is falling apart, terraces weed strewn and crumbling concrete. Without rugby I cannot see how Bradford Council can possibly keep it open. Speedway's only hope would be to piggy back stock cars but I suspect they would prefer a tarmac track rather than shale.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

I fear people are remembering the Odsal of the late 80s and 90s. Went to a rugby match there this summer and the place is falling apart, terraces weed strewn and crumbling concrete. Without rugby I cannot see how Bradford Council can possibly keep it open. Speedway's only hope would be to piggy back stock cars but I suspect they would prefer a tarmac track rather than shale.

Steve Rees states he'd prefer shale in the article.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Steve Rees states he'd prefer shale in the article.

that's got to be a positive

10 hours ago, George Dodds said:

As I said, focus on the main stand and lower first bend terracing. Get those up to standard and close down the rest. It'll give the capacity needed.

• Like 3

Just caught a news item on local radio saying that a former Bradford junior (didn't catch his name) is trying to get Speedway up and running.

Looking for £200k to start with - get the lottery tickets bought.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, WRDukes said:

Just caught a news item on local radio saying that a former Bradford junior (didn't catch his name) is trying to get Speedway up and running.

Looking for £200k to start with - get the lottery tickets bought.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18244771.danny-hodgson-eyes-nomadic-bradford-dukes-speedway-team-revival/

From our local rag.

12 minutes ago, tyke said:

Sadly the BSPA are currently taking a dim view of nomad teams (having just shut down Reading, Weymouth, MK Knights & Exeter) so at best i fear the hopes are a few challenge matches unless some serious funding can be found.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Sadly the BSPA are currently taking a dim view of nomad teams (having just shut down Reading, Weymouth, MK Knights & Exeter) so at best i fear the hopes are a few challenge matches unless some serious funding can be found.

Personally think Bradford will be ok as a nomadic team as the track exists think the clamp down has been mainly on teams were no track is in the town they represent. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Personally think Bradford will be ok as a nomadic team as the track exists think the clamp down has been mainly on teams were no track is in the town they represent. 

That's not the reasoning why Reading and others were stopped, and as others have said, their best hope is a few challenge matches.  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 7:00 PM, steve roberts said:

Obviously John Boulger was happier riding in fog rather than snow! Recall the time that the whole Cradley team walked out at Cowley when the snows came...and Boulger was forever christened "Snowflake" by the Cowley faithful after that!

Early June 1977 (I think), a meeting was snowed off at Leicester.

• Like 1