British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martin297

Possible Odsal news

16 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

That's not the reasoning why Reading and others were stopped, and as others have said, their best hope is a few challenge matches.  

We have now been told we are not allowed to use the Reading name for challenges either.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, skydog said:

We have now been told we are not allowed to use the Reading name for challenges either.

Dreadful, shocking, immoral the list goes on. The sooner the mafia are outed / a break away from the BSPA the better. Better let Coventry know as their challenge against Leicester cannot morally continue now......

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Dreadful, shocking, immoral the list goes on. The sooner the mafia are outed / a break away from the BSPA the better. Better let Coventry know as their challenge against Leicester cannot morally continue now......

Of course the fact that there are still stadiums in both Coventry and Bradford may mean their returns are seen as more viable. 

20 minutes ago, skydog said:

Of course the fact that there are still stadiums in both Coventry and Bradford may mean their returns are seen as more viable. 

The BSPA press release specifically mentioned Rye House, Oxford and Coventry - but no mention of Bradford which may suggest the chances of reopening are not high.

1 hour ago, skydog said:

Perhaps an ideal opportunity to use the name 'Slough Speedway'? :unsure:

1 hour ago, skydog said:

Call them "The Racers"?

I guess its possible to run a Swindon Based side who were "sponsored" by Reading becoming the Swindon "Reading" Racers ? But why should they, there is nothing wrong with the current situation other than the over lords wanting to muscle in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I guess its possible to run a Swindon Based side who were "sponsored" by Reading becoming the Swindon "Reading" Racers ? But why should they, there is nothing wrong with the current situation other than the over lords wanting to muscle in. 

The number one speedway consideration. "What's in it for me?"

I have also noticed that the annual Kent v Wimbledon (John Cearns Cup) fixture is missing from the Kent fixture list in 2020.

2 hours ago, Robbie B said:

I have also noticed that the annual Kent v Wimbledon (John Cearns Cup) fixture is missing from the Kent fixture list in 2020.

They could use Iwade? Unless they are now back under the BSPA? :unsure:

Maybe they could come up with a more meaningful name, such as "Stars of the League", or "Cearns's Dons"?. Showmanship? Giving the public what they want - naaah, what do they know". I'm sure it's not Silver's choice. I still remember warmly Rayleigh v Jack Millen's Anzacs in 1972....

What harm does it really do calling a side racing in a second half with minimal publicity Outer Hebrides Hawks? Talking Scotland I remember a side being tracked in the SJL at Blantyre called Darvel because the riders concerned either came from or practiced in the area. No wonder the Tigers had to move to Shawfield.

Or take rugby. Just where does this side called "The Barbarians" play their home matches?

I'd be interested to know what would happen if someone offered Scunthorpe ten grand to sponsor a challenge match against Boston ;-) 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Maybe they could come up with a more meaningful name, such as "Stars of the League", or "Cearns's Dons"?. Showmanship? Giving the public what they want - naaah, what do they know". I'm sure it's not Silver's choice. I still remember warmly Rayleigh v Jack Millen's Anzacs in 1972....

What harm does it really do calling a side racing in a second half with minimal publicity Outer Hebrides Hawks? Talking Scotland I remember a side being tracked in the SJL at Blantyre called Darvel because the riders concerned either came from or practiced in the area. No wonder the Tigers had to move to Shawfield.

Or take rugby. Just where does this side called "The Barbarians" play their home matches?

I'd be interested to know what would happen if someone offered Scunthorpe ten grand to sponsor a challenge match against Boston ;-) 

I agree, what's in a name? Examples, Arena Essex and Lakeside!

26 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I agree, what's in a name? Examples, Arena Essex and Lakeside!

I did hear there was consideration to rename the Rockets after their move out of Rayleigh "Herts County Rockets" on the basis that nobody had heard of Rye House. 

Must be the same logic that forced Stoke to race as Chesterton the previous season.

Anyway, Arlington is nowhere nea\r Eastbourne, Armadale nowhere near Edinburgh, High Edge nowhere near Buxton (already dealt with).Brandon is not in Coventry, West Row is not in Mildenhall.

Reverting to your point about the Hammers, how about similarly Kent? 

Where on earth was Trelawney? ;-)

What IS in a name as long as riders get to ride and supporters get to watch. I know I've still got the Rockets racing at Rye House, or will have soon but it would warm my cooling heart to spend one night, even for just half a dozen heats cheering on a team called Rayleigh, no matter who was riding for them, at whatever level. You never forget your first love, eh?

Yes it would be meaningless but in a world with famine, war and a rising tide of intolerance and ignorance, isn't all sport, just a bit of fun, or should be? 

One of legendary football manager Bill Shankly's few mistakes was to say of his sport "It's not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that". 

No. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I did hear there was consideration to rename the Rockets after their move out of Rayleigh "Herts County Rockets" on the basis that nobody had heard of Rye House. 

Must be the same logic that forced Stoke to race as Chesterton the previous season.

Anyway, Arlington is nowhere nea\r Eastbourne, Armadale nowhere near Edinburgh, High Edge nowhere near Buxton (already dealt with).Brandon is not in Coventry, West Row is not in Mildenhall.

Reverting to your point about the Hammers, how about similarly Kent? 

Where on earth was Trelawney? ;-)

What IS in a name as long as riders get to ride and supporters get to watch. I know I've still got the Rockets racing at Rye House, or will have soon but it would warm my cooling heart to spend one night, even for just half a dozen heats cheering on a team called Rayleigh, no matter who was riding for them, at whatever level. You never forget your first love, eh?

Yes it would be meaningless but in a world with famine, war and a rising tide of intolerance and ignorance, isn't all sport, just a bit of fun, or should be? 

One of legendary football manager Bill Shankly's few mistakes was to say of his sport "It's not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that". 

No. 

You could maybe get Terry Stone to do a few laps too!