Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martin297

Possible Odsal news

Recommended Posts

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18185364.speedway-stock-cars-return-unused-odsal-stadium/

 

Saw this linked from a banger forum,could be good news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, martin297 said:

Some parts of the stadium have been condemned, there is no track, pits or safety fence and there are new houses quite near but yes, if some idiot with enough dosh and the wherewithal to jump through the necessary hoops should come along, it could be 'good news' Don't hold your breath though.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know the realities of speedway back at Odsal but I always loved watching there, it was so different to watching at Wolves, which I love by the way, I used to go and watch even when Wolves  weren’t there if it looked a good meeting 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

I am sorry to say Speedway will never come back to Odsal it's better to flatten it.

Not sure how you "flatten" a bowl already sunken into the ground.

However I would imagine the most profitable use for Odsal now is to use it for landfill to fill it up to ground level.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Not sure how you "flatten" a bowl already sunken into the ground.

However I would imagine the most profitable use for Odsal now is to use it for landfill to fill it up to ground level.  

That big hole in the ground as the late John Berry used to refer to it as.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That big hole in the ground as the late John Berry used to refer to it as.

I remember one night the meeting v the Aces getting 'fogged off' yet it was all clear at turnstile level when we all walked out..

The fog basically 'sat in the bowl' ... :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikebv said:

I remember one night the meeting v the Aces getting 'fogged off'

A rare occurrence in my experience.
There was an individual meeting at Wolverhampton fogged once. Actually, curtailed. They got to heat 12 or thereabouts. The winner was declared but he had to get down from the podium and walk across the track so the crowd could see the trophy.

And to prove I'm not shy about my age. The winning rider was Johnny Boulger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, False dawn said:

A rare occurrence in my experience.
There was an individual meeting at Wolverhampton fogged once. Actually, curtailed. They got to heat 12 or thereabouts. The winner was declared but he had to get down from the podium and walk across the track so the crowd could see the trophy.

And to prove I'm not shy about my age. The winning rider was Johnny Boulger

Obviously John Boulger was happier riding in fog rather than snow! Recall the time that the whole Cradley team walked out at Cowley when the snows came...and Boulger was forever christened "Snowflake" by the Cowley faithful after that!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some footage somewhere of the track in the 90s it resembled that of a ploughed field lumps and bumps everywhere it wasn't really rideable at all riders were wobbling around I have never ever seen a track look so bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Rees seems cautiously optimistic about taking the cars back, if that happens I would imagine adding speedway would be the logical next step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I am sorry to say Speedway will never come back to Odsal it's better to flatten it.

I wish I had such certain knowledge of the future. Got any future winning lottery numbers?

 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I have some footage somewhere of the track in the 90s it resembled that of a ploughed field lumps and bumps everywhere it wasn't really rideable at all riders were wobbling around I have never ever seen a track look so bad

Aren't you a Poole fan?:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy