British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GiveusaB

Unattached British Talent ?

I'm just wondering, if in this new "golden age" where from January 2021 lower-skilled foreigners will no longer be welcome and their replacements will be drawn from among the 8.3 million British idlers and workshy backsliders whom the lovely Ms Patel has identified as the ready source as seamless replacements, that possibly I, as a member of the aforesaid classes, could finally have a chance to be a professional speedway rider? I'm ready, willing, and errrm.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, HGould said:

My interest has been piqued enough to look at the make up of PL + CL Teams.

It can be complicated by doubling up so some riders double count once in each League and also the confused nationality of "Roo Boy Schlein" who I have counted as Australian and Connor Bailey who I have counted as GB.

British Riders

PL

Belle Vue = 3

Ipswich = 2

Kings Lynn = 3

Peterborough = 1

Sheffield  = 3

Swindon = 3

Wolves = 0

CL

Berwick = 2

Birmingham = 5

Eastbourne = 7

Edinburgh = 4

Glasgow = 2

Kent = 5

Leicester = 4

Newcastle = 3

Poole = 4

Redcar = 3

Scunthorpe = 3

Somerset = 4

I've no point to make in terms of what's best. Results and winners/losers at end of season will dictate that. My own preference would probably be to have 2-3 foreign riders and 4-5 Brits but that's not something that would stop or make me attend or not.

The one really interesting dynamic seems to be geography and the only team with 4 or more Brits north of the Midlands is Edinburgh - the 6 teams with most Brits are south of that line.

So how big a factor is who is available rather than where from?

Edinburgh only have 3 Brits, which I think proves even further that geography plays a big part in how many British riders are in a teams lineup. 

7 hours ago, HGould said:

My interest has been piqued enough to look at the make up of PL + CL Teams.

It can be complicated by doubling up so some riders double count once in each League and also the confused nationality of "Roo Boy Schlein" who I have counted as Australian and Connor Bailey who I have counted as GB.

Why?     There's no difference in their status.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, poolebolton said:

One argument which is certainly valid is that Aussie riders have been better in British speedway especially in the Prem/Elite league that Aussies have simply been better. 

Lambert and Cook were 7.81 and 7.78 respectively

With king in 3rd on 6.83 

Doyle, batch and Fricke all higher than those 3. 

With Brady, Holder, Josh and masters all higher than King. 

Also NKI, Bjeere, Jensen, Klindt and Thorsell being higher than King. 

So of the top 15 riders in the prem 3 were brits. (thats where the issues lie). 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:00 AM, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

A bit of an empty soundbite that one, often substandard British riders** can be as damaging to the team and themselves if just given a team place solely based on where their passport says they are from. 

This country already offers development leagues for riders to cut their teeth and improve their skills, find a pathway into the sport etc. If people are being asked to pay money to watch the product, they should be given  a decent return on that investment for doing so rather than simply having to pay the wage of someone solely based on their place of birth rather than the talent and skill they posses.

I would question if it is a sensible message, or even a true pathway of development in the long term to give a rider team spot based on where they are from either, in what is seen as a more "professional" league". I am not entirely convinced that actually benefits in the long term creating a psyche of an entitlement rather than earning it. 

not applying that to those mentioned, but simply applying a broad stroke statement as so many do on these subjects

promoters going back to the sixty's have always given foreign riders chances over British lads

9 hours ago, speedy bill said:

promoters going back to the sixty's have always given foreign riders chances over British lads

The point you are making there is beyond simplistic without any context or circumstance.

1 hour ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

The point you are making there is beyond simplistic without any context or circumstance.

i think the evidence is there if you look at some of the team line-ups in the mid sixties. The situation may well change when freedom of labour movement ends. I'm sure the government (and, by extension leave voters) were thinking of tradespeople rather than speedway riders but the effect will be the same - skill shortage . This may give added value to GB juniors

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

i think the evidence is there if you look at some of the team line-ups in the mid sixties. The situation may well change when freedom of labour movement ends. I'm sure the government (and, by extension leave voters) were thinking of tradespeople rather than speedway riders but the effect will be the same - skill shortage . This may give added value to GB juniors

That's why PL Promoters suddenly interested in Junior PL League - hoover up any 16 year old who looks half decent as an asset to hedge against any sudden Pritti induced culls on permits!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HGould said:

That's why PL Promoters suddenly interested in Junior PL League - hoover up any 16 year old who looks half decent as an asset to hedge against any sudden Pritti induced culls on permits!

But how will they get a go? PL promoters have no idea about riders unless they are placed in front of them or recommended by others. Even then they will offer scant encouragement but the belittling junior league will make them feel good for a season before shutting it down blaming lack of rider support.

• Like 1

Is it not the case that a lot of young British riders do not get a chance because of the senior British riders moaning that they can’t make the sport pay unless the ride in both leagues.Some would ride in all 3 if they were allowed.:rolleyes:

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Jesus Christ.... 

no, i don't believe he was signed by anyone

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ch958 said:

no, i don't believe he was signed by anyone

Well he was probly too busy working out how many fish sandwiches he needed to keep everyone happy.

38 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well he was probly too busy working out how many fish sandwiches he needed to keep everyone happy.

he was busy designing one of the most aggressive and unpleasant posters on here - he did a good job, the bloke has zero manners

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, ch958 said:

he was busy designing one of the most aggressive and unpleasant posters on here - he did a good job, the bloke has zero manners

It's just today's society :(