British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

11 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I think you do yourself no favours here, as saying bb holders are having a hissy fit and will turn up anyway shows such a gross ignorance towards the actual issues here - sounds like in your young life you've been fortunate enough to avoid any elderly family having mobility issues and the challenges that go along with them otherwise you wouldn't be thinking that it's just so easy to just walk an extra 150m to somewhere.  That's before we get to your assumption that it's easy to fork out a few hundred on a mobility aid, or "get an uber"..  

The arrogance of youth may give you a few laughs as you talk with the adults on here, but believe me, reality will sadly catch up with you one day and you'll see things a bit different when perhaps you or a relative fall into the category of those affected here. 

They will. I guarantee it. 

Excuses. Cant afford to get a wheelchair, Cant afford a mobility scooter, Cant afford an uber, Cant walk 300 meters (5 Minutes), Cant push someone for 300 meters (5 minutes) 

You cant tell me every blue badge holder is pot less and cant walk for toffee. 

BB holders - Change your decision to my terms (Barely have to walk) and if you don't change them...…..Then I'm not going to attend anymore. It's either our way or no way. Sounds very petty to me.

1 minute ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Excuses. Cant afford to get a wheelchair, Cant afford a mobility scooter, Cant afford an uber, Cant walk 300 meters (5 Minutes), Cant push someone for 300 meters (5 minutes) 

BB holders - Change your decision to my terms (Barely have to walk) and if you don't change them...…..Then I'm not going to attend anymore. It's either our way or no way. Sounds very petty to me.

I'm not telling you they're potless - i'm telling you that the supposed solutions you're offering are actually so far removed from reality it's untrue. 

If you broke your leg playing football or whatever, and you needed to park close (and i realise you wouldn't have a bb here, but the point still stands ) as you were on crutches, would you attend speedway the following week if it meant dragging your freshly broken leg, and freshly heavy plaster, using the crutches that were cutting into your hands with every step for 300m ?  Or would you go for one of the solutions that you offered as above, scooter, wheelchair, walk 300m etc..  i'm curious genuinely.

Change will always leave a group of people unhappy no matter what subject it is however in time everyone adapts to the change made.

Anger controls people's emotions at the moment some are angry but given time they will calm down. They will go along and enjoy the Speedway just like they have done for many years. 

People are blowing everything out of proportion. People are acting like the world is going to end. Petition over a 300 meter walk like seriously come on now. May as well call it a PETTYition.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I'm not telling you they're potless - i'm telling you that the supposed solutions you're offering are actually so far removed from reality it's untrue. 

If you broke your leg playing football or whatever, and you needed to park close (and i realise you wouldn't have a bb here, but the point still stands ) as you were on crutches, would you attend speedway the following week if it meant dragging your freshly broken leg, and freshly heavy plaster, using the crutches that were cutting into your hands with every step for 300m ?  Or would you go for one of the solutions that you offered as above, scooter, wheelchair, walk 300m etc..  i'm curious genuinely.

Some you've now gone from Blue Badge holders who cant walk 300 meters all the to people breaking a leg playing football. Sorry but you're clutching at straws now.

1. It's a certainty over 80% of Speedway fans' football days are way over. Average age of a British Speedway fan must be late 60's and they are considered to be the younger fans of the bunch.

2. I highly doubt a ton of football players with broken legs will turn up to the Speedway all year round. So I don't even know why you have mentioned that. 

3. If I did have a broken leg from football then my decision would be dependent on the weather. 

Another sensible suggestion

Take a fold up chair with you that way you can sit down and take a breather after every 50 meters or so. Plenty of ways to adapt. Plenty of ways for a high budget solution or a low budget solution.

Just now, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Some you've now gone from Blue Badge holders who cant walk 300 meters all the to people breaking a leg playing football. Sorry but you're clutching at straws now.

1. It's a certainty over 80% of Speedway fans' football days are way over. Average age of a British Speedway fan must be late 60's and they are considered to be the younger fans of the bunch.

2. I highly doubt a ton of football players with broken legs will turn up to the Speedway all year round. So I don't even know why you have mentioned that. 

3. If I did have a broken leg from football then my decision would be dependent on the weather. 

No i'm not at all, i'm only asking would you as a young chap be happy to do a trek like that with a condition of your own to contend with.

Your answer is fine, it would depend on the weather, and probably as you recover, you'd be stronger and you'd be fine with the 300m walk on crutches and rough ground as a strong chap like you would cope no problem..  but what if you aren't getting better ?  Are you gonna consider the weather every week til you pop your clogs, or fork out hundreds of pounds for mobility aids just cos the speedway club you followed for years suddenly changed their rules for some vague reasons.  Any sane person would tell them to shove it up their you know what.  I would, 100%.

BB holders aren't people with broken legs tho are they, they've got conditions that are going nowhere and you're basically saying that unless they are prepared to fork out a few quid, they should swivel. But you, as a young and presumably fit young man with an injury would be checking the weather before you commit to dragging yourself along.  

Your opinions here are based on seeing it thru your eyes and your eyes only.  If you are hoping that those affected by this ruling will just turn up and adjust i fear you will be disappointed, and it may well cost you an enjoyable season, or your club.  Which is a shame.  

3 minutes ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Take a fold up chair with you that way you can sit down and take a breather after every 50 meters or so. Plenty of ways to adapt. Plenty of ways for a high budget solution or a low budget solution.

It's a suggestion, not sure i'd say sensible tho.  If the club are crying over a few arguments with badge holders last season, they might object to disabled people plonking themselves down willy nilly on pathways in fold-up chairs on the out lying areas of the stadium.  

A sensible, but still not suitable for all solution, would be a airport buggy style thing - but as said before, that only suits a certain type of bb holder and wouldnt be suitable for all.  Would at least be seen as some kind of offer rather than just saying crack on with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Here's an idea (yes I'm still awake before anothor of you hilarious observations), there's plenty of room inside the Showground so how about letting our disabled customers park inside so that intelligencia such as yourself don't have to raid their Viz Top Tips notebook of suggestions?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Here's an idea (yes I'm still awake before anothor of you hilarious observations), there's plenty of room inside the Showground so how about letting our disabled customers park inside so that intelligencia such as yourself don't have to raid their Viz Top Tips notebook of suggestions?

I'm close to offering to sponsor him to push a local fan in a wheelchair the 300m but he won't be brave enough to take that on i'm sure.

3 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Not shocked. 

Not going to happen so now it's about finding a way to adapt. Plenty of ways both high and low budget. Just have to pick out the route that suits the person in question best. 

Buster wont change his decision. The petition wont change a thing. It's not ideal but nothing will change.

7 hours ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Exactly how does someone with 2 walking sticks/crutches carry such a chair?

Give me a sensible reply please as I realise you like to offer solutions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Well it is. But if you don't want to believe it then nothing I can do that will change your mind.

The petition is hilarious because it's a stupid idea. Look at the amount of signatures it's got. Has to be the slowest petition to have ever been created. Reason why it's slow in numbers is because the vast majority aren't kicking up a fuss about 300 metres. Now I always give my straight up opinion and let's be honest I'm only saying what others are also thinking only difference is I always speak up and others don't.

It's 300 metres for crying out loud not 300 miles. Nothing about attention seeking I'm just giving my view on a public forum that others cannot accept. That's all. I'm not trolling the other day I was suggesting ways how the BB holders didn't have to miss out. People kicked up a fuss about price ranges and all that stuff. Today I spoke up about Neil Watson and Buster's comments back me up. He's the owner for crying out loud so once again i'm not trolling I spoke up and then provided the quotes from Buster to back me up.

I have read Mimmo's post and I hope his wife makes a full recovery I honestly mean that. I'm not trying to antagonise a reaction or anything. I'm just saying a petition about walking 300 metres is laughable. Look at the numbers it's got so far. 2 full day's since the petition started and it's not even close to reaching it's target. Because everything is being blown out of proportion. Yes the situation is not ideal but is there really a need for Neil Watson and co to kick up a fuss over 300 metres? I think no as do many others but they don't want to speak up whilst I will always be straight up about a situation / topic.

300 metres may as well be 300 miles to someone like me. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Buster wont change his decision. The petition wont change a thing. It's not ideal but nothing will change.

Certainly Buster wont change his decisions, he never has but then he never considers all the angles before choosing his dirention. A few nodding "Yes Buster" persons and that's that.

9 hours ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

They'll turn up. Just throwing a hissy fit but they will still go. They're angry whilst saying they wont go but they will. They will adapt and accept the change made in due time. Just like the remain voters will adapt and accept we've left the EU.

The thing is, there is only so far they can adapt and only then if they pay out a significant amount of money for hoists, wheelchairs, scooters or a carer to assist. That in itself will be a barrier and they will just find somewhere else to spend their weekly speedway money as there really wouldn't be a choice.

To an able bodied person, 300 metres or a five minute walk is nothing (I used to walk miles without even a thought), for a mobility impaired person, 300 metres is like a marathon, twice over. I couldn't do it now, hell, having to park a further 20 metres away from my house at the weekend left me collapsed and in bed in significant pain and having to cancel all plans for yesterday.

Having a disability can be isolating and provision/thought is essential to allow those who are experiencing a disability live some kind if semblance of a life. Now the situation at Peterborough doesn't impact me directly, I couldn't do the distance in the old arrangement let alone the new one unless I paid someone to be with me but it will impact more than the cost of a person who can 'police' the parking more effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

I have a wheelchair but I can't self propel nor get it out of the car on my own. I don't have a scooter but could borrow one...but can't get it out of the car. Uber? Erm, not sure if you quite understand the issue, an Uber wouldn't get you any closer to the stadium than their own car. I am completely unable to walk 300 metres, there are a fair few times I can't even walk the less than 5 metres from my bedroom to the loo!

I am pot less and even if you offered up a shortbread millionaire rather than a toffee, I still wouldn't be able to walk it.

The only way I could adapt would be to pay for someone to be with me (someone strong who is able to push a wheelchair plus me over uneven ground, not an easy feat) which includes paying for their entrance which would (and would for a lot of people), make going unaffordable. A much simpler option would be to more effectively manage the provision that is already there, a low cost option that would solve a lot of the issues for everyone, including the promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1