British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

The petition on change.org

https://www.change.org/PeterboroughSpeedwayDisabledParking2020

remains open, and I ask as many of you as possible to sign the petition if you support its content and aims.

it is a respectful, constructive petition, and makes no threats or demands, simply urging the Promotion to look at the situation again from the perspective of a Blue-Badge holder.

I’ve been asked about the payment requested by change.org. It’s a ‘charge/donation’ made by them, and is nothing to do with me or the Club. However it can be skipped past (as can the sharing) there’s a link right at the bottom of the relevant page of the signing process.

Thanks for reading

• Like 3

The situation over Blue Badge parking is despicable. The claim that it is merely in line with Showground policy is misleading as I would guess that a large majority of showground events involve the arena and not the stadium or events which commence effectively just inside the turnstiles. Very few events it seems to me  have no visitor involvement until the stadium is reached. Enquiries I have made seem to think that Speedway and possibly the Showground would be in a difficult legal position should a Blue Badge holder  injure themselves or worse during the marathon walk now required , having willfully and knowingly chosen to ignore the fundamental requirements and principles  of being eligible to have a badge.  Gladstone Brooks an" Injury lawyers for You". could be in for a field day

• Like 1

According to the clubs official twitter page, they have stated that 'they haven't excluded anyone'. Lost for words :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

According to the clubs official twitter page, they have stated that 'they haven't excluded anyone'. Lost for words :rolleyes:

They haven't as long as you  crawl  ,drag yourself or be carried the distance required

• Like 1

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that my disabilities control my whole life.

Any trip out, be it shopping, sightseeing, concerts, or sport is defined by the simple question ‘how far will I have to walk’. Supermarkets are, by and large, not a problem, I choose large stores that provide ‘mart carts’ or small local shops where I can park outside and get what I need in close proximity to the door. For non-food purchases Amazon is my friend!

A trip to the seaside has to start very early in the day to bag a parking place by the beach and facilities - if they’re all taken we come home. The National Trust are very switched on to mobility issues and provide shuttles from the car-park to the main attraction - similar to the one used at Leicester speedway.

For gigs I have a list of venues that work well for me, and a list of those that are out of the question.

Sport? I only ever go to speedway and at the majority of clubs there’s parking adjacent to the entrance which is generally right by the track. Leicester and Peterborough are notable exceptions - I’ve already mentioned Leicester who acknowledge the issue and offer a buggy service.

Like many I have both mobility and breathing problems, which combined mean I simply cannot walk any distance - I wish I could. I am reliant on destinations acknowledging the issue and making adjustments, most do but sadly there are exceptions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Any trip out, be it shopping, sightseeing, concerts, or sport is defined by the simple question ‘how far will I have to walk’. Supermarkets are, by and large, not a problem, I choose large stores that provide ‘mart carts’ or small local shops where I can park outside and get what I need in close proximity to the door. For non-food purchases Amazon is my friend!

A trip to the seaside has to start very early in the day to bag a parking place by the beach and facilities - if they’re all taken we come home. The National Trust are very switched on to mobility issues and provide shuttles from the car-park to the main attraction - similar to the one used at Leicester speedway.

For gigs I have a list of venues that work well for me, and a list of those that are out of the question.

Sport? I only ever go to speedway and at the majority of clubs there’s parking adjacent to the entrance which is generally right by the track. Leicester and Peterborough are notable exceptions - I’ve already mentioned Leicester who acknowledge the issue and offer a buggy service.

Like many I have both mobility and breathing problems, which combined mean I simply cannot walk any distance - I wish I could. I am reliant on destinations acknowledging the issue and making adjustments, most do but sadly there are exceptions.

These I am  afraid  are the issues that those at Peterborough have chosen  cynically and callously to disregard.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 5

I am a Wolves supporter and traveled down to the EoS 4 times last season ( once for the Championship fours and 3 Wolves meetings ). I have mobility issues, Heart failure Diabetes etc but don't have a problem driving,

I am accompanied to every meeting I attend by my Grand-Daughter who has Cerebral Palsy.

Whilst we can both walk small distances arm in arm like pair of drunks the extra distance being proposed is completely out of our range so I am afraid we will not be able to attend.

Whilst I am having a moan I would also like to point out that the disabled toilets were locked on 2 occasions and locked before the end of the meeting on another.

I am also registered as one of her carers and on each occasion pointed this out to the lady on the gate but was charged 2 full price admissions, which surprised me as every other Elite league club plus Leicester, Sheffield and Cradley all charged 1 full admission and the carer entered free.

Whinge over

Yours Steve

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Blupanther said:

When Buster makes a decision the facts surrounding it become The Truth - at least to the deluded Yes men / women that surround him.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

I don't need to go into our problems again with Jan's lung and hip cancer, but I took her to Skegness for the day ( that's what I thought it would be) last Summer, but even with the Blue Badge, could find nowhere to park that was within manageable walking distance for her, so we had to turn round and come back home........140-miles of fuel wasted!!

When you read some of the examples on here you must conclude that those responsible for the decision either do not understand the concept of Blue Badges or are lacking in compassion and "The Milk of Human Kindness"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wealdstone said:

When you read some of the examples on here you must conclude that those responsible for the decision either do not understand the concept of Blue Badges or are lacking in compassion and "The Milk of Human Kindness"

The longer it goes on, I can’t help thinking that whichever badge holders apparently had the run ins with the parking staff here are being deliberately targeted by the club. It’s as if they want to massively inconvenience those individuals and if a few others get caught up in the aggro the club aren’t fussed. 

And when the innocent ones grizzle, the club can simply refer back to these mystery badge holders who were involved in the issues last season and say it’s all been caused by them.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, Blupanther said:

A google search defines exclude as " deny (someone) access to a place, group, or privilege."

Similarly privilege defines as "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group."

So technically they haven't denied access but that really is semantics because showing poor disability awareness and removing the privilege to allow their disabled fans to attend in comfortable circumstances if they're able is exclusion in anyone's book.

• Like 1

The DDA requires businesses to make 'reasonable adjustments'. So the question is does preventing blue badge holders from parking near to the track represent a failure to make 'reasonable adjustments'

Given that the facility was previously available and has been withdrawn by elective decision rather than 'force majure' I am inclined to think that the answer is yes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

The longer it goes on, I can’t help thinking that whichever badge holders apparently had the run ins with the parking staff here are being deliberately targeted by the club. It’s as if they want to massively inconvenience those individuals and if a few others get caught up in the aggro the club aren’t fussed. 

And when the innocent ones grizzle, the club can simply refer back to these mystery badge holders who were involved in the issues last season and say it’s all been caused by them.

It's such a weak excuse. People entering the stadium should have been told told that anyone not parking in designated places, or driving/parking on the grass, abusing stewards etc, will have their registration numbers taken, be warned and potentially denied stadium access in future. It's been done before and isn't rocket science.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It's such a weak excuse. People entering the stadium should have been told told that anyone not parking in designated places, or driving/parking on the grass, abusing stewards etc, will have their registration numbers taken, be warned and potentially denied stadium access in future. It's been done before and isn't rocket science.

Oh definitely.. incredibly weak.  Whoever it is that caused them issues last year must have really peed them off that's for sure.

Seems such a boneheaded approach to dealing with the problem. As you say, plenty of other options they could have taken, warnings etc. 

• Like 1