British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

23 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

He is already banned. I have a lot of time for Neil but for one reason or another he always gives the impression  that he knows more than he is letting on but there is some  reason why he will not tell.

And Crump99 said (sorry, don't know how to multiquote)

'He's already said elsewhere that one of the management team banned him anyway and even if that wasn't the case then while the current Blue Badge situation continues he couldn't attend anyway. Therefore it's not logical to suddenly roll over so easily without a better reason than that given. '

Apologies, my thought was the current regime had said 'back off or we'll ban you'......... so I apologise for saying Neil had been got at......... still, we could all stand outside the gate for the first meeting, refusing to go in, and talking others out of going in........ til at least the current regime rethought their views

22 hours ago, JC71 said:

Apologies, my thought was the current regime had said 'back off or we'll ban you'......... so I apologise for saying Neil had been got at......... still, we could all stand outside the gate for the first meeting, refusing to go in, and talking others out of going in........ til at least the current regime rethought their views

Without a better explanation than the one given then I wouldn't be apologising. Direct action is a nice idea but you'd still be standing there at 5:30 with unfortunately nothing to show for your troubles. You'd all, amongst other actions at other times, have to be prepared to return home and tell them why. You're unlikely to do that if you've made the effort to get there so you'll be wiser next time, can communicate the situation to others who can then make a decision not to attend as per Blupanther on the previous page.

Edited by Crump99

Clearly management have a far better understanding of the problems of Blue Badge holders than even the badge holders themselves  as they now feel that they are more than capable of walking 4/5  times the distance required to qualify.  "Take up thy bed and walk"  must be the latest buzz phrase.   

I am expecting that messrs Johnson, Pratt& Chapman to embark on the same walk, together with referee, visiting promoter etc.IE all but riders vans not being allowed inside the stadium

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Clearly management have a far better understanding of the problems of Blue Badge holders

They have no disability awareness, hence going nuclear before engaging brain and managing the alleged issues identified, not that anyone thinks that they wanted to try. Given the age of some our side and ignorance of disablity issues then may I suggest that Mr Johnson's first target as overseeing the running of the club and also the commercial and sponsorship side is to get Age UK Cambridgeshire & Peterborough onboard to assist the club in these areas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Clearly management have a far better understanding of the problems of Blue Badge holders than even the badge holders themselves  as they now feel that they are more than capable of walking 4/5  times the distance required to qualify.  "Take up thy bed and walk"  must be the latest buzz phrase.   

I am expecting that messrs Johnson, Pratt& Chapman to embark on the same walk, together with referee, visiting promoter etc.IE all but riders vans not being allowed inside the stadium

One of the key factors in awarding the mobility benefit PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is whether the person can walk 20 metres unaided or aided without resting. . If not they get the full points. So, since there is now no such thing as "Registered Disability" anyone with the higher rate of PIP is considered by the government of being unable to walk more than 20 metres. Obviously the BSPA know better.

I need aids to walk now (a rollator - wheeled frame with seat) and have the highest levels of PIP. I asked one track that offered discounts for the disabled what they considered 'disabled'. "Well, do you use a wheelchair" was the answer.

In this modern world such ignorance of the law is dangerous. If they say "Are you registered as disabled?" well that registration hasn't  existed for years.

Another consideration offered by a surprisingly large number of leisure businesses is the question of free or discounted attendance for carers. At many places I go to, such as wildlife reserves or other tourist attractions they see my mobility problems and ask if my wife is my carer. If she says yes she gets free or sometimes reduced admission.

Speedway is miles and years behind the times in far more many ways than toilets..........

Whenever I visit a stadium now I need to plan out my entrance and accomodation long before I travel. Thankfully I have previously visited all but three. I have to consider how close to the entrance I can park, how far inside the stadium I need to walk to get to basic facilities such as a disabled loo and whether if there is a stand that I can get into. I'm getting a bit old now to sit out in the cold. Put it all together and even if I can afford to go when on benefits you have to think "Is it really worth all the hassle?" which is awful since I still love my speedway and would happily watch a match every night of the week as I did in my youth in London. Sometimes the TV is a lifesaver - literally in some cases. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

10 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

One of the key factors in awarding the mobility benefit PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is whether the person can walk 20 metres unaided or aided without resting. . If not they get the full points. So, since there is now no such thing as "Registered Disability" anyone with the higher rate of PIP is considered by the government of being unable to walk more than 20 metres. Obviously the BSPA know better.

I need aids to walk now (a rollator - wheeled frame with seat) and have the highest levels of PIP. I asked one track that offered discounts for the disabled what they considered 'disabled'. "Well, do you use a wheelchair" was the answer.

In this modern world such ignorance of the law is dangerous. If they say "Are you registered as disabled?" well that registration hasn't  existed for years.

And for Blue Badge purposes (in Peterborough anyway) you can potentially score 8 points in Moving around from 20 to 50 metres in an unreliable fashion (such as, not doing so safely (for yourself and others), to an acceptable standard, repeatedly (as often as reasonably required) and in a timely fashion) which then qualifies for standard rate mobility PIP and that transports to an automatic BB. I think all disability groups were shocked and unhappy with the 20m rule but theoretically someone can walk 20m but be classed as unable to walk if doing so has a severe effect on them and their daily life. The 20m would then be discounted (as would such distances in the other descriptors). Putting all that in writing though and convincing an assessor who basically reports on what they see in a controlled environment is virtually impossible as many poor disabled deserving souls have found out.

Blue Badges can also be obtained without benefit entitlement under hidden disability rules and/or other circumstances where you need to evidence your case, once again, not easy which is as it should be to avoid abuse of the system. Your local council will decide if you are eligible for a badge.

If you get enhanced rate mobility PIP then your BB is automatic without question anyway.

I think that's right now but it's all a bit of a minefield now since George Gideon Oliver Osborne decided to save money by scrapping DLA when allegedly the transition to PIP over many years has been more expensive. Osborne never did get much, if anything, right!

Edited by Crump99

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Sometimes the TV is a lifesaver - literally in some cases. 

And the broadcast standard is ow so good that makes armchair viewing a real pleasure and gives me my fix. NOT that anyone knows what we really will get from Eurosport - possibly no live matches. Just a weekly highlights programme?

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

And the broadcast standard is ow so good that makes armchair viewing a real pleasure and gives me my fix. NOT that anyone knows what we really will get from Eurosport - possibly no live matches. Just a weekly highlights programme?

I expect to see live coverage on Eurosport and possibly some highhlights on Quest. Time will tell. You never can be sure of what Eurosport will do. It has a 30 yeear tradition of making schedules up as they go along, due to the high level of live sport, especially events which take long periods to run, such as tennis, cycling and winter sports, all of which can cause substantial timing overruns. 

11 hours ago, Crump99 said:

And for Blue Badge purposes (in Peterborough anyway) you can potentially score 8 points in Moving around from 20 to 50 metres in an unreliable fashion (such as, not doing so safely (for yourself and others), to an acceptable standard, repeatedly (as often as reasonably required) and in a timely fashion) which then qualifies for standard rate mobility PIP and that transports to an automatic BB. I think all disability groups were shocked and unhappy with the 20m rule but theoretically someone can walk 20m but be classed as unable to walk if doing so has a severe effect on them and their daily life. The 20m would then be discounted (as would such distances in the other descriptors). Putting all that in writing though and convincing an assessor who basically reports on what they see in a controlled environment is virtually impossible as many poor disabled deserving souls have found out.

Blue Badges can also be obtained without benefit entitlement under hidden disability rules and/or other circumstances where you need to evidence your case, once again, not easy which is as it should be to avoid abuse of the system. Your local council will decide if you are eligible for a badge.

If you get enhanced rate mobility PIP then your BB is automatic without question anyway.

I think that's right now but it's all a bit of a minefield now since George Gideon Oliver Osborne decided to save money by scrapping DLA when allegedly the transition to PIP over many years has been more expensive. Osborne never did get much, if anything, right!

Thank you for an excellent summary. I've just had my reassessment at the hands of a paramedic. The whole thing, beyond the 20m rule is so very subjective. You get points allocated for example on how easily you can prepare and cook a meal. The assessor asks you questions then gives you a score out of 8. It was worrying that I might lose my benefit (the first and only I've claimed in 40 years) and/or my Motability car which would leave me pretty well housebound. 

Struggling to get the 20 feet from the interview room to the front door of the office block I think contributed to 12/12 on that point.

Reverting to the Showground, I know how far it used to be from car park  to stand at Alwalton and know the pain I would suffer in covering such a distance now so the chances of me going there were poor even before this latest staggering decision on blue badges. Yes, some people abuse them, yes it is questionable whether some should have them but for many of us they are a lifesaver.

There's plenty of other speedway tracks.

There's plenty of other sports........

There are plenty of other interests run by people who have heard of the Disability Discrimination Act.....

What's pathetic is that a sport that needs every supporter it can find is allowing one track to effectively turn many away. 

All I want to do is watch some live speedway. I've put a lot of effort into trying to help the sport over the years. A bit of consideration now would be a pleasant but not expected surprise. Having said that, there's the guy who stands near the turnstiles at one track, looking out for people like me who might need a little help and steps in if they're struggling. I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten his name :-(

Ironically he's a Scunthorpe supporter......

• Like 1

In a massive  stadium like EOES it is entirely unbelievable  that any caring person  should have even though of let alone implemented  the vendetta re Blue Badge holders.

• Thanks 1

Taking this thread slightly sideways, which is what we do in speedway, my cousin who never, ever backs down from any argument or fight, probably why he looks 10 years older than his actual age, well his dad, my uncle has a Blue Badge parking permit.  He complained to a large well-known supermarket about non-Blue Badge holders parking in disabled bays thus preventing his Blue Badge holding dad, who has severe walking problems and mostly uses a wheelchair, from parking in them.  The large, well-known supermarket replied "we don't criticise people for using the disabled bays who are not entitled to, as they may not return to the store"....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

17 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Taking this thread slightly sideways, which is what we do in speedway, my cousin who never, ever backs down from any argument or fight, probably why he looks 10 years older than his actual age, well his dad, my uncle has a Blue Badge parking permit.  He complained to a large well-known supermarket about non-Blue Badge holders parking in disabled bays thus preventing his Blue Badge holding dad, who has severe walking problems and mostly uses a wheelchair, from parking in them.  The large, well-known supermarket replied "we don't criticise people for using the disabled bays who are not entitled to, as they may not return to the store"....

I'd be tempted to post that on their social media feeds or whatever sites they have/use and ask the question again. That usually gets a response and action, Peterborogh Speedway excepted of course. Any responsible company/organisation doesn't, quite rightly, like that sort of publicity.

It will be very interesting to see how many BB holders go to Peterborough this year with the management stance.

Disability is someone else's problem.......

...... until it's theirs.

(I note pitstop84 is active in this thread. If any of his comments are aimed at me, in view of his comments elsewhere, he's wasting his time - firmly on block. Life's difficult enough without people like him.) 

23 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Disability is someone else's problem.......

...... until it's theirs.

(I note pitstop84 is active in this thread. If any of his comments are aimed at me, in view of his comments elsewhere, he's wasting his time - firmly on block. Life's difficult enough without people like him.) 

Think someone needs to grow up I've not not said anything about you.  Was just asking a question about BB holders going  to Peterborough or if they will still go.