British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

16 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

Think someone needs to grow up I've not not said anything about you.  Was just asking a question about BB holders going  to Peterborough or if they will still go.

43 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Disability is someone else's problem.......

...... until it's theirs.

(I note pitstop84 is active in this thread. If any of his comments are aimed at me, in view of his comments elsewhere, he's wasting his time - firmly on block. Life's difficult enough without people like him.) 

I like a rumble as much as the next man here, but that's not necessary Rmc - The bloke asked a civil question of which i'd probably guess that in real terms maybe it will only stop a handful of bb holders, but its certainly a handful that speedway can ill afford to lose for such a bonkers reason.  And it'll put off away bb holders aswell every week at various times i would think.

Re disability is someone elses's problem etc..  harsh if thats aimed at folk on here, i don't have a disability and haven't been to Peterborough since the 4s final in 1992 but i'm very much in the camp that this is as much my problem as someone with a disability who needs the close parking.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pitstop84 said:

It will be very interesting to see how many BB holders go to Peterborough this year with the management stance.

Rather irrelevant as it doesn't make a regressive uncaring decision any better. The disabled generally have a pretty hard time with often not too much to look forward to so they'll often go the extra mile, however difficult, for something that they enjoy watching if not getting to and from. Then responsible organisations make further reasonable adjustments to make their customers/visitors visits more pleasurable, they don't remove long term concessions without trying to fix any problems or giving a better explanation than what we've had from Panthers management. It's not an experiment for them to justify their backward step.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Rather irrelevant as it doesn't make a regressive uncaring decision any better. 

Exactly.. one, five , hundred.. the numbers are irrelevant. 

In times like these where responsible firms are scared of upsetting any protected groups for fear of shaming in the public eye, twitter etc or loss of custom, it beggars that belief that this lot would walk themselves head on into this.  

4 hours ago, Crump99 said:

I'd be tempted to post that on their social media feeds or whatever sites they have/use and ask the question again. That usually gets a response and action, Peterborogh Speedway excepted of course. Any responsible company/organisation doesn't, quite rightly, like that sort of publicity.

Oh but he has, he most certainly has.  He's no doubt already contemplating his next battle and would likely blow a gasket if I told him about the disabled parking discussions regarding Peterborough, which I hope get sorted asap BTW....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

20 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Oh but he has, he most certainly has.  He's no doubt already contemplating his next battle and would likely blow a gasket if I told him about the disabled parking discussions regarding Peterborough, which I hope get sorted asap BTW....

I suspect that there there are some fans unaware of this situation who will probably do the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

I like a rumble as much as the next man here, but that's not necessary Rmc - The bloke asked a civil question of which i'd probably guess that in real terms maybe it will only stop a handful of bb holders, but its certainly a handful that speedway can ill afford to lose for such a bonkers reason.  And it'll put off away bb holders aswell every week at various times i would think.

Re disability is someone elses's problem etc..  harsh if thats aimed at folk on here, i don't have a disability and haven't been to Peterborough since the 4s final in 1992 but i'm very much in the camp that this is as much my problem as someone with a disability who needs the close parking.  

I answered him fairly but since he didn't like the answer he's been like a dog with a bone. My comments about perception of disability are not aimed specifically at members of this forum, but if the cap fits....

I hate conflict but given the attitude of too many people on this forum if they don't like what they read they turn nasty on the messenger, often because they either can't understand what they are being told or who just want to give someone a good verbal kicking.That's not me, but if attacked I will defend myself. 

All I am trying to do is explain some matters based o my experience of "the other side of the fence". It's an attempt to help people, like everything else I've done or tried to do for the sport. What gets incredibly frustrating is to run up against the "Oo duz he fink ee iz" mentality which causes many to hide behind false names. That is not my style. . Once I've said my piece I block them and walk away. Life is too short to waste time with the ignorant and/or malicious. 

Now despite your typical efforts to stir matters up this thread is about rather more important matters. And before you say it's my fault for mentioning pitstop84, I was telling him he's wasting his time. So are you. I've had enough problems with your attitude in the past. I'm wondering now why I took you off block. That's easily resolved, eh? 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

47 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I answered him fairly but since he didn't like the answer he's been like a dog with a bone. My comments about perception of disability are not aimed specifically at members of this forum, but if the cap fits....

I hate conflict but given the attitude of too many people on this forum if they don't like what they read they turn nasty on the messenger, often because they either can't understand what they are being told or who just want to give someone a good verbal kicking.That's not me, but if attacked I will defend myself. 

All I am trying to do is explain some matters based o my experience of "the other side of the fence". It's an attempt to help people, like everything else I've done or tried to do for the sport. What gets incredibly frustrating is to run up against the "Oo duz he fink ee iz" mentality which causes many to hide behind false names. That is not my style. . Once I've said my piece I block them and walk away. Life is too short to waste time with the ignorant and/or malicious. 

Now despite your typical efforts to stir matters up this thread is about rather more important matters. And before you say it's my fault for mentioning pitstop84, I was telling him he's wasting his time. So are you. I've had enough problems with your attitude in the past. I'm wondering now why I took you off block. That's easily resolved, eh? 

Hold on a second.  Don't go taking a swing at me now just because i said that it was unnecessary to take a pop at someone who by your own admittance you have on block - why cause an issue by saying what you did to him ?  He wasn't taking a pop at you was he ? 

As for saying about my typical efforts to stir matters up - i've been vocal on here in support of this with no issues at all, but now because i'm saying that you're intentionally taking a pop at someone, I'm the one seen as stirring matters up ?  Give over. 

If i wanted to stir matters up i would send people a few links about you and let them make their own mind up who the pillock is here.  

For some reason you seem to think your opinion is more valid than others and that's simply not the case. The sooner you get your head around that the better really as you're constantly gonna be butting heads with people all over this forum for years to come.

I've noticed you picking arguments on several threads now with supporters far and wide even up to this evening - perhaps take a little closer look at yourself before you say about others stirring things up.  Also, probably best to block me as if you carry on with this attitude i'll do something i perhaps won't be proud of.

Tom Elwood, not hiding behind a false name.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Taking this thread slightly sideways, which is what we do in speedway, my cousin who never, ever backs down from any argument or fight, probably why he looks 10 years older than his actual age, well his dad, my uncle has a Blue Badge parking permit.  He complained to a large well-known supermarket about non-Blue Badge holders parking in disabled bays thus preventing his Blue Badge holding dad, who has severe walking problems and mostly uses a wheelchair, from parking in them.  The large, well-known supermarket replied "we don't criticise people for using the disabled bays who are not entitled to, as they may not return to the store"....

I had the same thing happen to my wife at a Tesco store.

21 hours ago, wealdstone said:

In a massive  stadium like EOES it is entirely unbelievable  that any caring person  should have even though of let alone implemented  the vendetta re Blue Badge holders.

One person, at least, clearly doesn't care. Or is completely disinterested. And seems to have a mantra - Don't come Then If You can't get here under my rules.

• Sad 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, martinmauger said:

Taking this thread slightly sideways, which is what we do in speedway, my cousin who never, ever backs down from any argument or fight, probably why he looks 10 years older than his actual age, well his dad, my uncle has a Blue Badge parking permit.  He complained to a large well-known supermarket about non-Blue Badge holders parking in disabled bays thus preventing his Blue Badge holding dad, who has severe walking problems and mostly uses a wheelchair, from parking in them.  The large, well-known supermarket replied "we don't criticise people for using the disabled bays who are not entitled to, as they may not return to the store"....

Interesting point around that on Disabled Motoring UK relating the effect of the new 2019 eligibility criteria for Blue Badges:

"These changes to the Blue Badge eligibility criteria (Hidden Disabilities) have come following an eight week consultation earlier in 2018. DMUK took part in the consultation and raised concerns over the possible effect the expansion would have on already limited disabled parking. DMUK urged the Department for Transport (DfT) to be realistic in its thinking. Just extending the criteria will not necessarily mean that more disabled people will benefit. Actually this change may have disastrous consequences for all Blue Badge holders, especially wheelchair users, as there is simply not enough parking to meet demand and concessions could soon disappear because of increased numbers. In light of this recent extension DMUK would like to see the government put more pressure on local authorities to enforce the scheme to make sure it benefits genuine Blue Badge holders and increase provision of disabled parking bays. The charity is very concerned that without adequate enforcement and more provision the integrity of the scheme will be undermined and of no benefit to any disabled person."

Not sure what genuine Blue Badge holders means because if you've got a Blue Badge then surely you're genuine? I guess that they are aimed more at wheelchair users who always need a significantly wider access bay.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:24 PM, wealdstone said:

I am expecting that messrs Johnson, Pratt& Chapman to embark on the same walk, together with referee, visiting promoter etc.IE all but riders vans not being allowed inside the stadium

Staff meeting Wednesday 26 should be a bit lively when the diagrams are handed out showing them where outside the stadium they are all parking.

Edited by Crump99
  • Haha 2

The cognoscenti will not be walking very far, not because of their lack of mobility but becasue of the valuable nature of theri time. Vastly more important than even the riders.

Edited by waytogo28
spelling

3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The cognoscenti will not be walking very far, not because of their lack of mobility but becasue of the valuable nature of theri time. Vastly more important than even the riders.

Not too fussed about the top bods getting into the stadium. That's the way that things usually work and I'm ok with that. I am concerned about who is excluded and why and who is let in at the expense of those excluded.

• Like 4

I am hearing that interest in this matter  is spreading wider and could result in even more negative publicity. Looks  like management may not escape unscathed. Hope they have got a better explanation than they have come up with so far. 

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I am hearing that interest in this matter  is spreading wider and could result in even more negative publicity. Looks  like management may not escape unscathed. Hope they have got a better explanation than they have come up with so far. 

Excellent news.

• Like 5