British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

42 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

They have been in touch with me and I confirmed that I am willing to speak with them. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Literally as I typed this they have got back to me! 

Good to hear, we need more though

I have never been able to understand and it has never been explained to my  satisfaction exactly what the problem is. For most of the Speedway events BB holders enter and exit from a totally different gate to the rest and if they keep to the designated area ( which 99% do) the only interference or possible threat to others is as I have said before people leaving by the wrong gate which means pedestrians  of which there must be few or those( presumably to avoid paying a £1), parking away from official car park.  Therefore it could be argued that BB holders are suffering for actions of others. 

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

I have never been able to understand and it has never been explained to my satisfaction exactly what the problem is. For most of the Speedway events BB holders enter and exit from a totally different gate to the rest and if they keep to the designated area ( which 99% do) the only interference or possible threat to others is as I have said before people leaving by the wrong gate which means pedestrians  of which there must be few or those( presumably to avoid paying a £1), parking away from official car park.  Therefore it could be argued that BB holders are suffering for actions of others. 

Well as Mr Watson cited the club press release as decisive following his discussion with someone, let's look at the explanation: "Due to the death of a close colleague at a race venue towards the end of last year" - a real tradegy that I don't wish to comment on in this situation - "Peterborough Speedway runs alongside a number of events at the Showground every season, and when these events clash we have to move our disabled parking facility to a different location within the Showground on these occasions." - Jeez, it has done for years and everyone else has coped and organised without seemingly too much difficulty. How often does it actually happen? If a couple of times a season disabled parking can't be accommodated inside then so be it. If customers are told then they could choose whether or not to attend. - "We had a number of blue badge holders not using the allocated parking areas correctly" - was anyone aware that that was a problem? Was it communicated to customers in any way whatsoever? Not that I'm aware. - "A number of our volunteer car parking staff have been verbally abused" - that's unacceptable and there should be zero tolerance, but as above, was anyone aware of that being communicated as a problem?

"We respect the fact that the above hasn’t been caused by everyone issued with a blue badge, and we do also know and understand this decision affects everyone that will attend our race meetings that are issued with a blue badge. (Just to agree with your last sentence Wealdstone)

We have over the years made preservations for internal disabled parking but unfortunately we cannot carry this on, and we will use the official disabled parking that is used at all Showground events.

Sorry for the inconvenience but we hope everyone understands the situation."

I tend to agree that those problems as laid out are not enough IMHO to jump from a to z without publically trying a less damaging solution in the middle as a first attempt at dealing with those issues.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, Mimmo said:

I wonder how many Blue Badge holders will stay away when push comes to shove.  There's two here which would amount to a loss of £640 over the season, if we we able to be regulars.  If only five cars with two people in stopped going, and were all Senior Citizens, that would equate to £6,400 and so it goes.  It's a heck of a lot of money to be risking throwing away.   

I heard of another yesterday (which equates to a paying couple) and know of another who's going to pick and choose, if they choose to attend at all.

• Like 1

Having read through most of this thread I feel that Peterborough having put together a more competitive team team this year are trying to shoot themselves through the foot. 

I myself, although neither currently disabled or a BB holder i have recently suffered ill health and walking is not as easy as it used to be.

I have regularly been a visitor when the Witches come to town but now feel that with the managements lack of consideration for those less fortunate health wise that I won't bother this year!

It's not just BB holders that may not attend, there may well be others as well. 

Let's hope a few more may be tempted along if the team is doing well to counteract the shortfall. No real speedway fan wants to see any team go out of business due to bad financial decisions!

12 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

Having read through most of this thread I feel that Peterborough having put together a more competitive team team this year are trying to shoot themselves through the foot. 

I myself, although neither currently disabled or a BB holder i have recently suffered ill health and walking is not as easy as it used to be.

I have regularly been a visitor when the Witches come to town but now feel that with the managements lack of consideration for those less fortunate health wise that I won't bother this year!

It's not just BB holders that may not attend, there may well be others as well. 

Let's hope a few more may be tempted along if the team is doing well to counteract the shortfall. No real speedway fan wants to see any team go out of business due to bad financial decisions!

They have already shot themselves in the foot, made EOES  a no go area for a number of BB holders. Another case of "we are management and can do what we want and do not need to explain ourselves to the hoi polloi "

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:16 AM, wealdstone said:

I have never been able to understand and it has never been explained to my  satisfaction exactly what the problem is. For most of the Speedway events BB holders enter and exit from a totally different gate to the rest and if they keep to the designated area ( which 99% do) the only interference or possible threat to others is as I have said before people leaving by the wrong gate which means pedestrians  of which there must be few or those( presumably to avoid paying a £1), parking away from official car park.  Therefore it could be argued that BB holders are suffering for actions of others. 

B B badge holders do pay £1 parking charge along with their admission fees

3 hours ago, startline sid said:

B B badge holders do pay £1 parking charge along with their admission fees

I know they do, not sure the point you  are trying to make

8 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I know they do, not sure the point you  are trying to make

Sorry misread your post

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:16 AM, wealdstone said:

Don't think that there is any "therefore" about it. They have already admitted as such:

"We respect the fact that the above (ie: not using the allocated parking areas; a number of our volunteer car parking staff have been verbally abused) hasn’t been caused by everyone issued with a blue badge, and we do also know and understand this decision affects everyone that will attend our race meetings that are issued with a blue badge."

So those who have always parked where told and have never abused staff are indeed paying for the actions of others, that being both customers and bad decision makers who clearly do not respect and understand!

• Like 3

My wife had a BB for her illness so I am quite aware of the difficulties people can have, and agree that this is has been handled very badly by the Panthers.

However, one thing that springs to mind on my (albeit infrequent) visits to the showground is just how many people parking inside the gates manage to literally run back to their cars to try & beat all the people walking back to the car park. Obviously these aren't people here that have genuine concerns and need to park inside the gates, but still manage to do so.

To be fair, when we used BB parking it took us so long to get back to the car, pack away the walking aides/wheelchair & get settled that the crowds had long cleared. This gave me a bit of a thought, maybe the people leaving the BB parking could wait 10-15 mins until the crowds have cleared a bit and this would satisfy the concerns of the club.

Maybe this is unworkable, but you would have thought the club would explore a few more options before a blanket ban.

• Like 1

Management are always right  even when t

17 minutes ago, Posh Red said:

My wife had a BB for her illness so I am quite aware of the difficulties people can have, and agree that this is has been handled very badly by the Panthers.

However, one thing that springs to mind on my (albeit infrequent) visits to the showground is just how many people parking inside the gates manage to literally run back to their cars to try & beat all the people walking back to the car park. Obviously these aren't people here that have genuine concerns and need to park inside the gates, but still manage to do so.

To be fair, when we used BB parking it took us so long to get back to the car, pack away the walking aides/wheelchair & get settled that the crowds had long cleared. This gave me a bit of a thought, maybe the people leaving the BB parking could wait 10-15 mins until the crowds have cleared a bit and this would satisfy the concerns of the club.

Maybe this is unworkable, but you would have thought the club would explore a few more options before a blanket ban.

Management are always right even when they are wrong. One of the many privileges  of being management.  That then allows them to call those that don't agree key board warriors regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Posh Red said:

It should be perfectly workable, and effort and communication before considering what should have been considered as the most drastic option might have helped to find an acceptable solution for all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

effort and communication before considering what should have been

Too high an expectation for speedway management in most cases and in this one definetly so. Effort, consideration and communication! No an edict is an edict.