Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

11 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Oh definitely.. incredibly weak.  Whoever it is that caused them issues last year must have really peed them off that's for sure.

Seems such a boneheaded approach to dealing with the problem. As you say, plenty of other options they could have taken, warnings etc. 

Indeed. Before they ever got to needing warnings though they missed out the important bit about clear instruction and consequences of not following those instructions.

The club said: " We respect the fact that the above hasn’t been caused by everyone issued with a blue badge, and we do also know and understand this decision affects everyone that will attend our race meetings that are issued with a blue badge."

So regulars of years standing get caught up in their broad brush approach because they've assumed that everyone who turned up with a BB knew what to do. There were rarely stewards directing and we all know that today's public generally reply to an instruction from someone trying to do their job with F off or similar, unless they are told that that has serious consequences because there is a zero tolerance at the club to such behaviour.

Edited by Crump99

3 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Indeed. Before they ever got to needing warnings though they missed out the important bit about clear instruction and consequences of not following those instructions.

The club said: " We respect the fact that the above hasn’t been caused by everyone issued with a blue badge, and we do also know and understand this decision affects everyone that will attend our race meetings that are issued with a blue badge."

So regulars of years standing get caught up in their broad brush approach because they've assumed that everyone who turned up with a BB knew what to do. There were rarely stewards directing and we all know that today's public generally reply to an instruction from someone trying to do their job with F off or similar, unless they are told that that has serious consequences because there is a zero tolerance at the club to such behaviour.

Very rarely saw  stewards and never saw any altercations , I think situation greatly exaggerated to do what they intended anyway and to justify their stance as they will never admit a mistake. From what I hear H &S  were being nasty to the management. I keep thinking to myself how could anybody with a shred of decency done this and continue to defend their actions

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

To show they are not completely heartless management will supply a packet of Paracetamol  to all Blue Badge holders( should they turn up) before they commence the marathon walk which is now a mandatory management requirement.

Edited by wealdstone

21 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

To show they are not completely heartless management will supply a packet of Paracetamol  to all Blue Badge holders( should they turn up) before they commence the marathon walk which is now a mandatory management requirement.

Will they not use the golf buggy?

22 minutes ago, Trees said:

I’ve not seen any suggestion that a buggy service will be provided, Blue Badge holders are expected to fend for themselves.

1 hour ago, Trees said:

You mean similar to the dial a ride that the club had to introduce against their wishes when the EoES excluded (although technically they didn't exclude anyone) the clubs disabled fans from entering the stadium during the C Horton/Bratley period. Can you spot the difference there? And when the EoES eventually relented, the club, with consideration to their affected supporters, reverted to the erstwhile established effective service without problem.

Edited by Crump99

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

You mean similar to the dial a ride that the club had to introduce against their wishes when the EoES excluded (although technically they didn't exclude anyone) the clubs disabled fans from entering the stadium during the C Horton/Bratley period. Can you spot the difference there? And when the EoES eventually relented, the club, with consideration to their affected supporters, reverted to the erstwhile established effective service without problem.

I really do not see a golf buggy  resolving this problem . May help on entry but chaos on exit

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I really do not see a golf buggy  resolving this problem . May help on entry but chaos on exit

Yep. More so called health and safety issues. Man with some cones is the best bet.

• Like 2

If I was faced with this situation, rather than the nuclear option I would be thinking along the following lines:

Blue Badges would need to be registered with the Club in advance, by sending a copy of the front and back of the badge together with another piece of ID (copy of passport or driving licence) and the vehicle registration number to be used.

Each applicant would be issued with a Blue Badge parking permit, together with an information sheet which would lay out in clear language the ground rules:

• Speed limit of 10mph on the Showground
• A clear diagram of exactly where the allocated parking area is
• Unequivocal instructions that should any steward be abused or the vehicle parked inappropriately the parking permit would be immediately withdrawn (if the rules are simple and clear I see no need for a ‘second chance’).

The majority of Blue Badge holders will be season ticket holders and I would consider making that a requirement of the permit to ease congestion and admin at the vehicle gate.

For casual and visiting fans I would provide a dedicated email address where the visitor would email 48 hours before a meeting the information required (Blue Badge number and holder’s name, and vehicle registration number), these applicants would receive a return email authorising parking to produce at the vehicle gate along with the Blue Badge.

I appreciate that such a system would exclude the genuine impulse visitor, but would cater more compassionately for the regular fans.
Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

If I was faced with this situation, rather than the nuclear option I would be thinking along the following lines:

Blue Badges would need to be registered with the Club in advance, by sending a copy of the front and back of the badge together with another piece of ID (copy of passport or driving licence) and the vehicle registration number to be used.

Each applicant would be issued with a Blue Badge parking permit, together with an information sheet which would lay out in clear language the ground rules:

• Unequivocal instructions that should any steward be abused or the vehicle parked inappropriately the parking permit would be immediately withdrawn (if the rules are simple and clear I see no need for a ‘second chance’).

The majority of Blue Badge holders will be season ticket holders and I would consider making that a requirement of the permit to ease congestion and admin at the vehicle gate.

For casual and visiting fans I would provide a dedicated email address where the visitor would email 48 hours before a meeting the information required (Blue Badge number and holder’s name, and vehicle registration number), these applicants would receive a return email authorising parking to produce at the vehicle gate along with the Blue Badge.

I appreciate that such a system would exclude the genuine impulse visitor, but would cater more compassionately for the regular fans.

A sensible solution which hopefully the club will take on board

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

1 minute ago, wealdstone said:

A sensible solution which hopefully the club will take on board

I would be prepared to administer such a scheme on behalf of the Club if asked

• Like 2

And that (or some of it) was the logical step to the mess they created by not doing it in the first place before going nuclear.

Personally I think that the reasons as the club laid out may be part of the problem although they were and are fixable as you say, but there is something else we're not being told IMO although we do know that it's a club problem as the EoES quickly washed their hands of the debacle.

I'd just do badge number, name and vehicle registration to be used. Your system is too much data, you're not having all that. You're not gov.uk!

I've no intention of buying a season ticket unless they reverted back to the credit card version when I might once again consider it so I'm sure some sort of discrimination would be claimed there. BB holders are, by definition, often not the healthiest and potentially don't want to, or can't financially, commit to a season ticket anyway?

Posh make no such requirement on parking: "Peterborough United Football Club has a limited number of disabled persons parking places for home and away fans that are allocated to Blue Badge holders" - they do charge a fiver for convenience but the other option is to pay in the pay car parks anyway.

The general premise I fully agree with though.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, wealdstone said:

Not really if everyone is sensible and gets in a queue ....

45 minutes ago, Trees said:

Not really if everyone is sensible and gets in a queue ....

Increase the difficulties and organisation to get in and out anyway and then double them.

• Like 1

On 9 February 2020 at 9:27 PM, wealdstone said:

Fire regulations may be a large hurdle to overcome too...

If someone can't access somewhere unaided (in this case using a buggy), then exiting the same venue in an emergency would be difficult to control with highly likely more people than buggies.

Not sure that would pass a fire risk assessment given the level of detail that goes into evacuation processes with regards to public safety..

Edited by mikebv