British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

Seems like uncaring management stance over BB parking has been virtually universally condemned   but still they show little sign of listening 

• Like 1

Buster has listened to no-one since the Stars came up to the Premier. And before that he rarely listened either and when he did listen it just bounced off. It has cost the promotion some good people, both within the promotion and from the terraces. Very sad glimpse into the future for all his clubs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PE7Panther said:

Despite being in the 'old fart' age group I'm blessed with fairly good health, and although l'm starting to dislike stairs I don't have any mobility problems.  So this Blue Badge issue doesn't affect me personally, but I've been following it with increasing dismay. And the whole thing stinks!  The same as everything does with Panthers - and, come to that, with speedway in general. 

For what it's worth, here's my two penn'orth: 

It seems to me that there's been more and more cars parking in the inner stadium areas, and they can't all be blue-badge (BB) people.  The club seems to be saying that some BB fans have somehow been abusing the parking privilege; maybe by parking in the "wrong" places?   I tend to rock up a few minutes before the first heat, and by then 99.9% of cars are already there and parked up.  But I hadn't noticed any particular orderliness as I walk briskly from the Arena doors to the stand.  Cars seem to park willy-nilly, and it's a different configuration each home meeting.  So I can't help wondering if it might not be BB holders alone who are causing whatever the problem is. 

Or maybe it's a money issue?  Are some BB holders somehow sneaking other occupants of their car into the meetings for free, when they should be paying full whack?  Have there been problems at the gate along those lines, and staff feeling miffed at having to deal with unpleasant situations?  I'm not pointing any fingers; just wondering if that's what lies being Bluster's decision. 

One things for sure, we don't have the full story :-/  Whatever, it's f*****g disgraceful that a blanket ban has been imposed on all disabled people. You'd have to be a complete **** to think otherwise.  The main car park is way too far to walk if you have reduced mobility.   

If there has been a problem - whatever it is - surely the best way to resolve it is to organise the entrances and inner parking areas better.  All it needs is a few well-placed signs for BB cars to follow, and a clearly marked/fenced off parking area for BB holders, preferably quite close to the rear of the stand.  There's plenty of space there ffs!  

Would it be too difficult to issue special EoES/Panthers disabled permits rather than just go by the standard blue badge permits.  If anybody flouts the new system, and provided it's been made clear from the outset, there can be no complaints if that individual gets his/her parking privilege withdrawn.     

How many BB cars are we talking about anyway?  It can only be in the dozens surely, and not in the hundreds.  How about BB cars keep to the left at that first entrance, and signposted accordingly with a couple of staff to supervise it.  And all the other vehicles - vans, sponsors, chums of Bluster, et al - keep to the right. 

It’s not rocket science – but I suspect that the Club Bluster simply lacks the will to resolve it in a decent and compassionate way.

I rock up early and leave late so don't see much of their alleged justification issues apart from being confused as to why cars are allowed to go left on entry and park near or on the roads at the back of the stand as that's not the arrangement. They were never asked to move that I'm aware of and no instruction was given that it shouldn't be done. It's good to get the bigger picture from someone who arrives as late as possible.

IMO nobody sneaks in with freeloaders. It's clear who's in a vehicle. They are asked to pay as such and if they play up then the security bloke should show them round the hut and out into the public car park when they can either sort themselves out or go home.

Probably the main problem for parking near the stand is lack of hard standing, and unless the EoES are more flexible now that they are moving (which seems unlikely) then regularly parking on and messing up the grass is, as it's always been, a red line for them. I suspect that's why the Arena car park was used whenever possible.

As you say though, for the amount of vehicles that we should be talking about then there is plenty of on road parking leading up to the stand (directly behind the stand is a no no) and that's what always happened in years gone by before the Arena was suggested. Surely that's easy to manage with those not playing ball warned of future conduct or asked to move on the night. That's all parking away from access routes and virtually all pedestrian movement so that solves that problem. On the way out pedestrians and cars could meet currently but leave both the pedestrian and vehice gates open at the end of the meeting, problem solved!

That's not a go at your post, I'm just putting my opinion on the useful points that you raise.

Edited by Crump99

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Seems like uncaring management stance over BB parking has been virtually universally condemned   but still they show little sign of listening 

Hopefully they see sense and somehow skilfully extract themselves from this mess but if not then you can make a note of all excessive vehicle incursions, potential H&S infractions that you see during 2020 and report any near misses to the club for investigation and action, assuming that you still attend of course, and keep this thread updated.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Now Peterborough have a Tungate isnt it time they announced a Blue Badge Gate as well.

Is that like Holdergate but with a more popular outcome.

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Now Peterborough have a Tungate isnt it time they announced a Blue Badge Gate as well.

They had one but compassionate   management have decreed it can no longer be used.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Have faith. I just read this. Different topic but live in hope:

"Chapman fully understands the frustration expressed by some Crendon Panthers fans on social media."

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Is that like Holdergate but with a more popular outcome.

Holdergate made the club money,  no reinstatement of the BB gate will cost the club money. 

19 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Holdergate made the club money,  no reinstatement of the BB gate will cost the club money. 

Made money but broke the club and led us to where we are now. Whereas we'd have survived if we'd told Holder to sling his hook and this thread wouldn't exist. Money is overrated!

Do the flag Marshalls at Peterborough stand on the track as the riders take the chequered flag? If the club I serious about H&S this wouldn't be allowed! I've seen the Sheffield guy half way up the track at times!

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Do the flag Marshalls at Peterborough stand on the track as the riders take the chequered flag? If the club I serious about H&S this wouldn't be allowed! I've seen the Sheffield guy half way up the track at times!

We really do not know what it is all about. Messrs Pratt and Johnson originally said it had all come from EOES , which EOES denied ( I have E mails to prove both these things) .Bemused , bothered and bewildered as to  real  reasons

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

If you read the BBC report (on a different thread) of the tradegy used in the club notice then the coroner is very critical of what happens within the confines of the track itself, albeit a different sport. It says that a report has been sent to Incarace and ORCi [Oval Racing Council International] and other organisations. Whether that includes speedway I don't know so those who go can see what effect that will have trackside, in the pits etc. We're still advertising a pit walk and centre green visit during the meeting so you'd assume that that would have to go?

• Like 1

Wasn't gonna comment again on this thread but, oh well.   In my (limited) experience 'life-challenged people wish to be left to cope themselves as far as possible and will ask for help if they really need assistance .  They very much prefer to be left to 'get on with it' usually only requiring the odd minor, consideration like in this case being allowed to park as near as possible to the event and ideally not be required to cross uneven ground.  A further consideration is that for various reasons people need to arrive & leave venues at different times. e.g. in my own case depending on commitments I like to watch every lap of racing & practice, at other times I need to be out of there as the riders are on the slowdown lap after the last heat.  So while using ‘golf buggys’ or other such transport from the parking area to the entrance, is one possible solution I don’t think it is workable.  TBH I can’t be bothered with trawling through all the responses but I believe someone mentioned they know the Peterborough promotion to talk to, specifically Buster Chapman, I think he has commented that he is aware of supporters’ concerns so chatting with him about disabled parking issues at The East Of England Arena on speedway days hopefully a solution will be found.  In my, and my friend’s dad’s case (who has walking difficulties), if / when we a plan to visit a track we will telephone beforehand, and also confirm on the day of the meeting, whether we are able to park as near as possible to the entrance, using my friends dads Blue Badge.  While I cannot speak for others at this time, if we cannot be guaranteed close parking, then unfortunately we likely won’t go….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Wasn't gonna comment again on this thread but, oh well.   In my (limited) experience 'life-challenged people wish to be left to cope themselves as far as possible and will ask for help if they really need assistance .  They very much prefer to be left to 'get on with it' usually only requiring the odd minor, consideration like in this case being allowed to park as near as possible to the event and ideally not be required to cross uneven ground.  A further consideration is that for various reasons people need to arrive & leave venues at different times. e.g. in my own case depending on commitments I like to watch every lap of racing & practice, at other times I need to be out of there as the riders are on the slowdown lap after the last heat.  So while using ‘golf buggys’ or other such transport from the parking area to the entrance, is one possible solution I don’t think it is workable.  TBH I can’t be bothered with trawling through all the responses but I believe someone mentioned they know the Peterborough promotion to talk to, specifically Buster Chapman, I think he has commented that he is aware of supporters’ concerns so chatting with him about disabled parking issues at The East Of England Arena on speedway days hopefully a solution will be found.  In my, and my friend’s dad’s case (who has walking difficulties), if / when we a plan to visit a track we will telephone beforehand, and also confirm on the day of the meeting, whether we are able to park as near as possible to the entrance, using my friends dads Blue Badge.  While I cannot speak for others at this time, if we cannot be guaranteed close parking, then unfortunately we likely won’t go….

It was worth the effort. I'm not sure that anyone at the club is listening, at least not in the public domain anyway, but behind the scenes may potentially be different I'm told. At least as it stands you'll not have to worry about planning a trip to Peterborough in 2020 and beyond because while they meet part of your criteria with possible parking close to an entrance, those entrances are nowhere near your intended destination so if you or a friend or relative has a disability then the new arrangements will make your mind up for you.

• Like 1