Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

10 hours ago, wealdstone said:

From correspondence I have had with the club either unintentionally or deliberately  they fail to understand the basic concept of Blue Badges IE holders are unable to walk very far.  Typical of their attitude was when I was asked to explain why Blue Badge Holders going to Speedway should expect different treatment to those attending any other event at EOES. Whilst normal Blue Badge parking may be acceptable for events at Arena ,  which is a short distance from entrance they certainly are not for the Speedway,  Of course, they will never give in and argue black is white till the cows come home even if they realise they have got it wrong.  

I've never been to any other events in recent times that haven't been on at the same time as speedway so can't comment really on the parking offered apart from that events come in all different shapes and sizes which is probably why the EoES washed their hands of it saying that parking is the responsibility of the particuar event organisers. I didn't know that there was official BB parking at the EoES, but if things are happening just the other side of the fence in daylight or closeby then that's probably logical. What isn't logical is when the event is being held being several hundred metres away from this special parking area, generally when there is nothing else seemingly going on within the stadium, causing initial mobility problems and then also leaving an unpleasant return journey for affected customers in the dark when it's often also freezing cold, even in the summer months. If that was really a question though then it is very disappointing and lacking any disability awareness. You should have turned it around to ask why do they think successive promotions have provided the facility over many many seasons, kicked off when the EoES took the action that the club have now in 2020 and then restored the facility for their disabled customers, family and friends at the earliest opportunity?

Edited by Crump99

10 hours ago, wealdstone said:

From correspondence I have had with the club either unintentionally or deliberately  they fail to understand the basic concept of Blue Badges IE holders are unable to walk very far.  Typical of their attitude was when I was asked to explain why Blue Badge Holders going to Speedway should expect different treatment to those attending any other event at EOES. Whilst normal Blue Badge parking may be acceptable for events at Arena ,  which is a short distance from entrance they certainly are not for the Speedway,  Of course, they will never give in and argue black is white till the cows come home even if they realise they have got it wrong.   

I would assume they are referring to all the events that use the showground in full, not just the arena. A number of the large shows that are there use the full area including the speedway track / grandstand. I have no idea what the BB arrangements are for those events but would assume the same as they are using for speedway this year?

2 hours ago, Sully said:

I would assume they are referring to all the events that use the showground in full, not just the arena. A number of the large shows that are there use the full area including the speedway track / grandstand. I have no idea what the BB arrangements are for those events but would assume the same as they are using for speedway this year?

Which is different from the speedway which is localised and doesn't have the movement and foot traffic of a general show. I've said that in the case of a general larger events then there could be some logic in the external site but generally it would appear that event organisers have flexibility for their own arrangements and we've gone broad-brush on our identified (in public at least) issues.

Edited by Crump99

Recall at Hull's Craven Park there were / are disabled parking bays literally behind the main stand and there was / is a lift inside the actual stand, just inside what was the turn 1 entrance, which took folk right up to the bar(s) then the seating area.  It will be understood that I've had no reason to visit CP since 2005, though I've had the odd look-see since, not a trace of speedway left....

I have spoken to Radio Cambridge today and have explained, how the original announcement  was hidden within season ticket application info, how originally we were told it came from the showground, how this was denied by showground and Management now gone into siege mode. Radio have gone through this forum and are aware of the many sad cases.  They are trying to contact Carl Johnson to get a satisfactory explanation as they have not provided one so far..  I have told them I do not mind being on Radio  but will not do so alone as I am aware that many have declined.for their own reasons.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I have spoken to Radio Cambridge today and have explained, how the original announcement  was hidden within season ticket application info, how originally we were told it came from the showground, how this was denied by showground and Management now gone into siege mode. Radio have gone through this forum and are aware of the many sad cases.  They are trying to contact Carl Johnson to get a satisfactory explanation as they have not provided one so far..  I have told them I do not mind being on Radio  but will not do so alone as I am aware that many have declined.for their own reasons.  

You have got the perfect face for the radio lol.

Edited by proud panther

39 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

:D:D keep up the fight.

5 hours ago, proud panther said:

:D:D keep up the fight.

It needs more than me unfortunately. Anybody who is willing to speak to Radio Cambridge please PM me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Well done :t:

Was it hidden within season ticket application info?

It is there now but from memory (& I'm happy to be corrected) there was no 2020 admission details page when the season ticket application first came out or any mention of the parking concession removal on the season ticket application form which is where the link went direct to first off. In fact, even now, there is still no reason to click the "Disabled Parking (Inside the Showground) link because the facility hasn't changed for at least 15 years so why would it now? Usually it creates a stink if the EoES removes the concession and disabled fans wouldn't expect their club to do it. If someone with a BB drove in during 2019 and bought an early season ticket expecting the same in 2020 then they'll be in for a shock. I can't even remember how I stumbled across the BB concession removal. Just by chance when surfing the club site I think.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Well done :t:

Was it hidden within season ticket application info?

It is there now but from memory (& I'm happy to be corrected) there was no 2020 admission details page when the season ticket applications first came out or any mention of the parking concession removal on the season ticket application form which is where the link went direct to first off. In fact, even now, there is still no reason to click the "Disabled Parking (Inside the Showground) link because the facility hasn't changed for at least 15 years so why would it now? Usually it creates a stink if the EoES removes the concession and disabled fans wouldn't expect their club to do it. If someone with a BB drove in during 2019 and bought an early season ticket expecting the same in 2020 then they'll be in for a shock. I can't even remember how I stumbled across the BB concession removal. Just by chance when surfing the club site I think.

Probably"hidden in season ticket application" was wrong terminology. What you say is correct which makes it worse

7 hours ago, wealdstone said:

This problem affects more than just the disabled fans. Our main driver for the last few seasons has suffered from cancer, & has relied on the disabled parking to be able to attend meetings. He is now unsure if he will be able to walk from the car park, & we will struggle to get to some meetings if he can't, as we don't always have alternative vehicles.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, proud panther said:

This problem affects more than just the disabled fans. Our main driver for the last few seasons has suffered from cancer, & has relied on the disabled parking to be able to attend meetings. He is now unsure if he will be able to walk from the car park, & we will struggle to get to some meetings if he can't, as we don't always have alternative vehicles.

As Wealdstone knows, Radio Cambridgshire contacted me to, as my wife and I can no longer go to Peterborough Speedway for the same sad reasons as your driver.  For personal reasons, I was one of the people that had to decline the interview with them. 

22 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

As Wealdstone knows, Radio Cambridgshire contacted me to, as my wife and I can no longer go to Peterborough Speedway for the same sad reasons as your driver.  For personal reasons, I was one of the people that had to decline the interview with them. 

I do and fully understand your reasons

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 3:16 PM, wealdstone said:

I heard a rumour that they should get in touch with the other bloke if he exists, who, because of his age should really be a bit more empathetic to those being displaced by an unworthy decision.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 9:58 PM, wealdstone said:

It needs more than me unfortunately. Anybody who is willing to speak to Radio Cambridge please PM me.

They have been in touch with me and I confirmed that I am willing to speak with them. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Literally as I typed this they have got back to me! 

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made
  • Thanks 1