British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Speedway Disabled Parking 2020

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

No an edict is an edict.

Club statement and apologies to all the speedway fans - seems to be a common theme thus far in 2020.

You never know, club statement and reconsideration might be about to appear!

Were I able to prostrate myself in prayer that that would come about I would. And although "Nothing is impossible with God" those who listen only to Mammon rarely listen to His directions. Free will exists especially for the Management of Peterborough Speedway!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Club statement and apologies to all the speedway fans - seems to be a common theme thus far in 2020.

You never know, club statement and reconsideration might be about to appear!

Those flights of pigs are becoming more frequent

43 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Those flights of pigs are becoming more frequent

It's been head down and hope that it goes away since Jan 28 when the club somewhat backed themselves into a corner, so hard to disagree, but here we are a few days from P&P and what should have been the season opener and the first test of the disabled debacle and it hasn't gone away. The situation can still be saved without losing too much face if they wish. Whether intentional or not, the resident mentalist did raise some interesting mischievous questions last night on the other thread.

Peterborough obviously don't want to try to find a compromise that will suit all parties.  Us BB holders are told in our terms and conditions that misuse of the badge can result in it being taken away.  If, and I say if, staff were being abused the badge number should have been taken, it's on the front of the badge, and also the car reg and then report the incident to the appropriate Council.  Also that particular BB number could have been banned from using disabled parking in future at Peterborough.  Why should all BB holders tarnished due to the actions of one person.  As someone else said all badge holders could also be told they will have to wait for a bit longer to exit the car park.  As for the excuse of people walking about and car movement etc how do people get to their cars in the main car park - fly - there is the same chance of an accident there as anywhere else.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Peterborough obviously don't want to try to find a compromise that will suit all parties.  Us BB holders are told in our terms and conditions that misuse of the badge can result in it being taken away.  If, and I say if, staff were being abused the badge number should have been taken, it's on the front of the badge, and also the car reg and then report the incident to the appropriate Council.  Also that particular BB number could have been banned from using disabled parking in future at Peterborough.  Why should all BB holders tarnished due to the actions of one person.  As someone else said all badge holders could also be told they will have to wait for a bit longer to exit the car park.  As for the excuse of people walking about and car movement etc how do people get to their cars in the main car park - fly - there is the same chance of an accident there as anywhere else.

It's a bit like dropping a nuclear bomb on a field just to get rid of one mole. It's certainly a strange decision to take in these days of disability awareness ...

4 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

Depressing reading that they could not even see the sense in dealing with one rogue BB user rather than placing a ban on all. There is such a thing as the Disability Discrimination Act which is far more effective than petitions.

Taking what passes for logic in this situation the abuser was presumably also a speedway supporter. On that basis why not simply ban all supporters?

Yes, it's ludicrous, as is banning all BB users through the actions of one incredibly easily-traceable offender.

Yet again speedway takes the easy and thoughtless way out. "Ban them all". I'm glad they are doing so well that they can do without BB holders' custom. Certainly if I ever hear again of the track complaining abut low crowds there will be no sympathy from me. 

Blue Badges aren't handed out to annoy dimwitted car park attendants or confuse idiotic speedway promoters. They are issued to help the disabled, in ALL forms, cope with life and to make their lives a little more tolerable. Clearly such ideals are too complex for Peterborough Speedway to understand. The badge isn't there to give me an advantage over others. It's there to help me. It's more than a little depressing that a track where I once was able to commentate for video and TV won't even let me use my blue badge to park. I have no problem in paying my way. Just having a slightly shorter walk when every step is agony might be nice. 

I'll take you back to another incident at another track.

Me "How do you define disabled wen giving concessions?"

"Do you use a wheelchair"

"not yet"

"Well you ain't disabled"

Welcome to the 19th century..............

• Like 2

I really can not believe the naivety or lack of commitment from the Radio . They say they are waiting  to hear from management and in any case going on holiday for two weeks. I see another flight of those pigs gliding over the treetops.Note the PR troll employed by management is back even boasting about a low level qualification in Computers

10 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I really can not believe the naivety or lack of commitment from the Radio . They say they are waiting  to hear from management and in any case going on holiday for two weeks. I see another flight of those pigs gliding over the treetops.Note the PR troll employed by management is back even boasting about a low level qualification in Computers

It's just a programme filler for them. They're not bothered either way and are not going to work at it or upset their golden goose.

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Depressing reading that they could not even see the sense in dealing with one rogue BB user rather than placing a ban on all. There is such a thing as the Disability Discrimination Act which is far more effective than petitions.

Taking what passes for logic in this situation the abuser was presumably also a speedway supporter. On that basis why not simply ban all supporters?

Yes, it's ludicrous, as is banning all BB users through the actions of one incredibly easily-traceable offender.

Yet again speedway takes the easy and thoughtless way out. "Ban them all". I'm glad they are doing so well that they can do without BB holders' custom. Certainly if I ever hear again of the track complaining abut low crowds there will be no sympathy from me. 

Blue Badges aren't handed out to annoy dimwitted car park attendants or confuse idiotic speedway promoters. They are issued to help the disabled, in ALL forms, cope with life and to make their lives a little more tolerable. Clearly such ideals are too complex for Peterborough Speedway to understand. The badge isn't there to give me an advantage over others. It's there to help me. It's more than a little depressing that a track where I once was able to commentate for video and TV won't even let me use my blue badge to park. I have no problem in paying my way. Just having a slightly shorter walk when every step is agony might be nice. 

I'll take you back to another incident at another track.

Me "How do you define disabled wen giving concessions?"

"Do you use a wheelchair"

"not yet"

"Well you ain't disabled"

Welcome to the 19th century..............

And, as many people do not seem to grasp "not all disabilities are visible"

Also the form filling and face to face interviews we have to go through in our Borough to get accepted for BB qualification is off putting, if I could walk as far as others with no problem I wouldn't bother to go through the rigmarol of applying for one.

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Good point, and hidden disabilities, mental health and/or safety of the individual and the people with them does not always equate to physical pain or obvious visual disabilty that the able bodied and in mind usually need as confirmation of an individual's problems.

Peterborough Speedway has understood this for years, from Peter Oakes, Colin Horton, Mick Bratley, Rick Frost, Julie Mahoney, Mick Horton, Neil Watson, Ged Rathbone who all "have over the years made preservations (what the heck are parking preservations?) for internal disabled parking".

It's only one, or combination of Chapman, Pratt and Johnson that have decided "unfortunately we cannot carry this on" for allegedly a better reason than that currently in the public domain, and deciding that we will use the official disabled parking that is used at all Showground events. I didn't know such arrangements even existed but that is still by choice anyway because they are in charge of their own parking we are told?

Therefore I'd prefer to separate the club itself from "The Peterborough promotion have taken the decision"

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

You're already aware of this i think, but i'll show my hand on the thread now anyway...  i contacted the Telegraph up there a few weeks back and after some dialogue got the same initial positive response - they contacted the club, got a terse bordering rude reply and off the back of that were going to run a story.  They then stumbled a bit and said it was going to be subject to discussions internally as they didn't want to run the risk of their reporter getting banned from attending. I've checked regularly to see if the ever did go thru with it, but it appears not.

Seems like the radio and also the papers are a bit scared of the promotion up there which is a shame.

• Like 1

Buster has been known to get agitated if a newspaper fails to toe the line

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Yeh that was very much the tone i got from them. 

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

He must have learnt from Mike Parker who loved throwing the press out of his Stock Car meetings. Reason I know that is that at one Crayford meeting he threw me out three times before start time and I still saw the whole meeting thanks to his staff letting me back in each time. He would have been even more annoyed to find that I was being let in for free every week!

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1