British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I THINK it will ...

Not all speedway injuries are visible, tragically in this case. Fortunately other sports are waking up to this so speedway won't be alone in this. Ironically the root of individual cases is often a sense of being alone. 

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

One of the few riders that responds on Facebook. Real character, always had time for chat, photo, and autograph with fans.Need more like him. Was really about to take off this season at the age of 33. Such a shame his mental health overwhelmed him.

Should be some kind of memorial meeting or contribution to his wife and kids, to help them, as there was for Lee and others.

It has been mentioned on the BSPA site that there might be a Most Entertaining Rider Award in memory of Danny.

There is, also, a justgiving/crowdfunding page started, hoping to reach £1000. I think that was bust within an hour & now stands at over £3400. Well done to all. :D   

• Like 5

The best tribute to Danny is if you see someone in the sport showing signs of distress, depression or worse, to just ask "Are you ok". You never know where it might lead. A silly act of kindness can be so effective when you're that low.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The best tribute to Danny is if you see someone in the sport showing signs of distress, depression or worse, to just ask "Are you ok". You never know where it might lead. A silly act of kindness can be so effective when you're that low.

And ask twice, more effective. "Are you sure you're ok?"

• Like 4

Just now, auntie doris said:

And ask twice, more effective. "Are you sure you're ok?"

Yes

8 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

I hope that British Speedway uses this tragedy to kick start a programme of mental health support for everyone involved in the sport

Given what he said in his own Tweet last week, the first need is Benji Compton. He tried to take his life the same weekend, and has just been discharged from Hospital. 

Mental health is often refered to as an invisable illness.

There is no way I can discribe it as it manifests itself within the individual.

But some can hide it well enough so only those that are close will know anything.

Listen to Smokey Robinson & The Miracles preform their hit "Tears of a clown" it will help many understand what a sufferer is going through

• Like 1

I suspect that a few speedway suicides have been kept very quiet over the years. There is still such an unnecessary stigma. The families suffer enough. It is brave for Danny's family to confront the situation. May they find relative peace in time.

If the sport can learn and save just one life then this desperately sad act night at least have one positive.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I THINK it will ...

And I'd like to think the ACU would get a grip with a safeguarding and pastoral care programme across all disciplines which can be adequately outsourced on a pay as you go basis. Some of the programmes in place for the military and emergency services are yielding success with a reduction of self inflicted injury/loss of life, this isn't the place to explain in depth but "trauma" and "incident" management yields very positive results.

Sincere condolences.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Panthers99 said:

Posted by Danny's partner for people who doesnt have Facebook.

What an amazingly strong lady she is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with a broken heart I have to say that my soul mate, daddy to our two beautiful babies and your peoples champion, has lost his battle to mental health.  

Danny absolutely lived for speedway. That was the only place he was truly free, free from any troubles and cares in his mind.  

He absolutely adored his fans. It was his utmost joy to be your ballsy entertainer and riding that dirt line on the edge,  #whoDAyreswins.

When he rode on that track, he gave everything he could to bring you excitement and give you, his fans, the full experience of the Showman of Speedway!! 
He absolutely thrived on that energy you gave him and for that, he truly loved you all. 
I know he would want to be remembered this way ❤️

I’m utterly overwhelmed by all of the support and kind words you have given to Danny, me,  Lilou and Anaiya xx

Speedway is a huge extended family to us all, so please pull together and if any one of you are struggling with mental health issues, please, please open up and talk to someone. Anyone. 
Just know that you are loved and NOT alone xxxx

Rest in peace my Baby. I will miss you throughout my whole life. I promise to let our babies know what an absolutely amazing, incredible, crazy, fun and loving person you really were. Until we meet again.... Night-night my baby, you can rest easy now xxxxxxxxx

Love to you all xxxxxx

I found the message from Jodie Pledge (originally on FACEBOOK) as most emotive reading. Not only its speedway links but also regarding Danny Ayres personal problems. It is one of the most emotive comments I have ever read. And I was involved as a working journalist for some 60 years. My sincere condolences to Jodie Pledge and her children.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

16 hours ago, gustix said:

I found the message from Jodie Pledge (originally on FACEBOOK) as most emotive reading. Not only its speedway links but also regarding Danny Ayres personal problems. It is one of the most emotive comments I have ever read. And I was involved as a working journalist for some 60 years. My sincere condolences to Jodie Pledge and her children.

I have to say what a brave brave lady she is to share those words with us, at what must be an incredibly difficult time for her at this sad time, condolences to her and the whole family. Danny Ayres was THE entertainer and he gave everything every time he got on a Speedway bike for every team he rode for over the years, I can only say "Gone but not forgotten" hopefully you have now  found peace, RIP Danny Ayres..

• Like 6

From Mildenhall Speedway - 

Danny’s Day – Important Update

Would all Speedway supporters please note that the date for Danny’s big meeting has had to be changed due to confusion with the stadium manager concerning fixtures.

The new date is SUNDAY 7th JUNE at 3pm (Gates will open at midday).

Mildenhall promoter Greg Palmer commented – 

“We would like to apologise for this necessary change but hopefully with it being made quickly it will not have impacted supporters who may have begun making travel arrangements for the meeting.

I have now spoken to the stadium owner and this new date does have it’s positives as it will allow me access to the stadium and track a whole week before the meeting.

I would like to thank Mark Phillips at Plymouth for his help in agreeing to move our meeting with Plymouth originally arranged for that date. We will advise supporters of the new date as soon as possible”

Will speedway supporters please share this post far and wide - thank you ❤️

• Thanks 1