British Speedway Forum

24 hours later and still cant believe what were seeing or hearing.. It just hasnt sunk in yet.. :-( .. Had a gruff voice just like Danny Dyer, and i recon all the Cradley fans loved that character and guy when he came to help us in 2017.

RIP Danny.. a real legend and an honour to watch you.. 

Shell shocked. Only met him twice & I'm gutted. I've never met anybody else twice & felt this way.

R I P Mr Ayres.

Edited by pete cc

I think, like me, the speedway world is stunned at this news. We all want to know how, why, how could this happen? But out of respect we'll refrain from asking those questions just now, won't we?

Danny was a racer, an entertainer and someone the fans took to their hearts. Keep that in your thoughts and let us try and to understand how his nearest and dearest must be feeling. 
Personally, I can't begin to imagine.

Having just read Rob Godfrey''s words on the speedwaygb website (click here), I have to say what a moving tribute that was.

Rest easy Danny.

• Like 3

This was Danny only 3-4 weeks ago after a practice at Scunthorpe, clearly looking forward to this season with Scunthorpe and Ipswich. How sad it is when the season starts he wont be there.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

There is also a video from Monday on the Speedway news, fixtures and results on Facebook that Danny recorded about his season ahead. :cry:

I attended a speedway experience day a couple of years back at Glasgow and Danny was doing some practice laps at Ashfield before our session started (i could be wrong but i think he started speedway at a similar experience day so knew the instructor) - i'm sure he was doubling up with Glasgow and Plymouth that season so was racking up the miles. Showed his commitment to the sport and also generally what the paying public don't see. A grafter and entertainer who will be sadly missed. RIP.

• Like 1

Danny was never a Plymouth rider unfortunately would have loved to have him ride for us he will be missed by friends,family and fans. RIP Danny

10 minutes ago, lewy said:

Danny was never a Plymouth rider unfortunately would have loved to have him ride for us he will be missed by friends,family and fans. RIP Danny

Ah my mistake. Maybe he had a meeting down there - I was certainly struck by the miles he was covering that week!

• Like 1

The energy and enthusiasm he possessed was really infectious. Very commendable the way he was progressing in the Sport and probably would have challenged for Scunny's No1 bib..

Rest easy Danny!

Very sad news indeed. I admit to never see Danny ride in person, only in the British final on TV. And from what I heard he was an entertainer on the track. I was looking forward to seeing him ride when Ippo came to the AFA this coming season..

Rest In Peace.

• Like 2

Very sad news yesterday to hear of the passing of Danny Ayres.

One of the very few Characters and Entertainers in modern day British speedway.

He was never going to be a World Champion or a World class rider, but he understood the giving good value to supporters and fans.

I wonder if the BSPA would consider re-naming the British Final Trophy the Danny Ayres Memorial Trophy in his honour.

Rest in Peace Danny.  

• Like 3

The day after the night before and it still hasn't sunk in.. Ride easy up there top man, on behalf of everyone at Scunthorpe Speedway - we loved you sir83930275_2501773716756220_8106811441908023296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=TEACaOfH67YAX_TTezt&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=2b11ee9694a93577389990a391369734&oe=5EDBC6B7

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just tried to explain to my wife what a character Danny was. When anyone passes away it's very easy to heap praise on them but I doubt there's another speedway rider in the world who enjoyed winning a race as much as Danny did. Yes maybe it was a bit ott when he won a reserves race you'd have thought he'd just clinched the World Championship. What a character tho. I was looking forward to seeing how much he could improve this season. Very sad

• Like 1