British Speedway Forum

36 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

Posted by Danny's partner for people who doesnt have Facebook.

What an amazingly strong lady she is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with a broken heart I have to say that my soul mate, daddy to our two beautiful babies and your peoples champion, has lost his battle to mental health.  

Danny absolutely lived for speedway. That was the only place he was truly free, free from any troubles and cares in his mind.  

He absolutely adored his fans. It was his utmost joy to be your ballsy entertainer and riding that dirt line on the edge,  #whoDAyreswins.

When he rode on that track, he gave everything he could to bring you excitement and give you, his fans, the full experience of the Showman of Speedway!! 
He absolutely thrived on that energy you gave him and for that, he truly loved you all. 
I know he would want to be remembered this way ❤️

I’m utterly overwhelmed by all of the support and kind words you have given to Danny, me,  Lilou and Anaiya xx

Speedway is a huge extended family to us all, so please pull together and if any one of you are struggling with mental health issues, please, please open up and talk to someone. Anyone. 
Just know that you are loved and NOT alone xxxx

Rest in peace my Baby. I will miss you throughout my whole life. I promise to let our babies know what an absolutely amazing, incredible, crazy, fun and loving person you really were. Until we meet again.... Night-night my baby, you can rest easy now xxxxxxxxx

Love to you all xxxxxx

Oh my. :cry: 

It was a real pleasure to commentate on Danny racing over the last few years.  He was without a doubt one of the most flamboyant, entertaining and passionate riders I have ever seen in my career, and I would always look forward to what crazy victory celebration he would come up with next!  He would always engage with the fans more than anyone else as well and it was so wonderful to watch him in action.

Love and condolences to Danny's family and many friends,

Dave Goddard.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

Thank you. Suffering from mental health issues myself, I can relate to putting on a face. What an amazing woman she is.

Danny will be proud xx

That's true.

As for mental health, never assume that people are ok no matter what their demeanour, and do practice the always ask twice technique when asking if someone is ok. We all say yes as standard for 99% of the time but if you ask again "Are you really ok?" then you may get a different answer.

Tragic loss.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 8

So shocked and saddened to hear this news, RIP  Danny, thoughts with family and friends.

8 hours ago, pete cc said:

Shell shocked. Only met him twice & I'm gutted. I've never met anybody else twice & felt this way.

R I P Mr Ayres.

I think in a nutshell your post says everything about Danny Ayres the man. 

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I think in a nutshell your post says everything about Danny Ayres the man. 

The first time i see Danny ride live was in the NL fixture  between Swindon /Coventry a few seasons ago and you are right he made a real impression.The meeting was meaningless but he made the meeting got the place rocking i had not seen that happen for a number of years.He scored a 15 point maximum and i went home thinking god this guy has real passion the past day really has shocked me and Speedway has lost a real good un.

• Like 1

Never seen him or really heard of him, but tragic. Not long after the anniversary of Robert Enke’s death, which did get some coverage on the BBC. Was watching a programme about him and it was very difficult for his wife to cope. Telling him to snap out of his depression at first. And just before his death she thought he was actually coping well. But it is often well hidden

RIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

I hope that British Speedway uses this tragedy to kick start a programme of mental health support for everyone involved in the sport. 

Absolutely!

That is something that should have been put in places yeara ago..

There have been way too many speedway riders involved in these type of tragic events, both during and after their racing careers over the years.

• Like 2

Mental health issues seem to be on the increase and, not sure medicine can fix them. Something wrong somewhere. 

RIP Danny and good wishes to loved ones left behind :(

• Like 1

I have just started to think straight after being so shocked by the very sad news. Checked my programme from last seasons IOW Warriors v Mildenhall Fen Tigers match and sure enough there is the 18 point maximum by Danny who was the most exciting rider I had seen for a number of years. I just wish I had seen him more often and the fact I didn't makes me sad. Once again my thoughts are with his partner, children and all his family and friends. I just pray that they can remember the good times and leave everything else tucked away. RIP Danny. 

• Like 3

Even more reason for promoters and the bspa to take responsibility for their employees, especially the younger riders.

Not saying this tragedy is speedway related we don’t know but in today’s world of social media it has a habit of bringing out the very worst in people, as you can sometimes read on this very website.

• Like 1

This is shocking!

For those that have not seen Danny ride, I can assure you he really was something worth watching. His style, his emotion he showed for winning and losing, the way he was with the fans, the way he played up to the crowd (both home and away fans). He was a real personality. Right up there with the likes of Screenie, Adam Skorniki and Magnus Zetterstom

It is so, so sad that someone who goes about making other people lives a little bit better could be struggling so much with his own. And I really mean that, I would have gone home with a smile on my face every time I saw him ride, little knowing that maybe, he didnt feel so good. I almost feel an element of guilt for that.

• Like 5

One of the few riders that responds on Facebook. Real character, always had time for chat, photo, and autograph with fans.Need more like him. Was really about to take off this season at the age of 33. Such a shame his mental health overwhelmed him.

Should be some kind of memorial meeting or contribution to his wife and kids, to help them, as there was for Lee and others.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

I hope that British Speedway uses this tragedy to kick start a programme of mental health support for everyone involved in the sport. 

I THINK it will ...