British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Ronnie Russell

5 hours ago, Argos said:

Tomorrows Daily Mirror and Daily Express make interesting reading 

And yesterday’s MailOnline? Selling his George Medal?

I can honestly say that since knowing Ronnie it is a privilege to be able call him a friend , a real nice guynever mentions his medal and what he did love the man

• Like 3

Excellent promoter to work for. Deserved more luck/success at Rye House. He poured cash in to make it work and was eventually beaten, but only after one heck of a fight.

The story made it to the BBC News website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51383434

• Like 1

Real character..Bow Boy and Ammer..although bruvver Terry is Orient fan. Good feature on BBC West tv.

Edited by auntie doris

Reflecting on the Ronnie Russell years at Rye House... Pretty poor results wise, but at least we made a KOC Final. Highlight was Jens Rasmussen winning the 1988 Grand Slam at Oxford. One of my favourite days supporting the Rockets. Never spoke to the guy, but grew to appreciate his efforts keeping the club going in difficult times  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Reflecting on the Ronnie Russell years at Rye House... Pretty poor results wise, but at least we made a KOC Final. Highlight was Jens Rasmussen winning the 1988 Grand Slam at Oxford. One of my favourite days supporting the Rockets. Never spoke to the guy, but grew to appreciate his efforts keeping the club going in difficult times  

He likes pie n mash an all Chris:D

Keef

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

I was there...great day! Razzer was one of my favourites!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadders said:

Glad to hear it. You had to be close to the situation to really understand. It's not always how it looks from the terracing. 

Take another example. I was passing by the office when I heard a conversation between Ron and another promoter "Old (xxxxx) had a result last night - abandoned after six heats. Gets to keep the money"

Ron - "Yes but what about next week when they don't turn up?"

Always vowed that  we would only start meetings that we were going to finish. Those were sometimes stressful situations, battling to keep the place open until eventually he brought in partners who killed the place off. 

He gave us several seasons that in reality we should never have had. Even when we got that cup final he was forced to switch it to Arena Essex. Deserved far better.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

shame it's got to the point of selling his medals, but for me when Ronnie had Rye House it was the end of GB Speedway being around the top, getting non Commonwealth into the National League was the end

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stevehone said:

shame it's got to the point of selling his medals, but for me when Ronnie had Rye House it was the end of GB Speedway being around the top, getting non Commonwealth into the National League was the end

I thought that was Len Silver’s doing?