British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Greg Hancock - happy retirement

I'd like to add to that...a great servant. Saw him first ride in 1989 at Cowley and showed promise even then and of course he proved invaluable when he much later joined "The Silver Machine" (awful nickname!) after Nicki Pedersen fell foul of the then promotion.

6 minutes ago, therefused said:

Most overrated rider ever 

Most boring B)

7 minutes ago, therefused said:

Most overrated rider ever 

Got to be the most stupid post ever

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HIS record would suggest otherwise...

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion. Even eejits. How can you over-rate someone who’s won four world championships?

Edited by Wee Eck

First saw him ride at Swindon at some meaningless pairs event in 89. He was really poor and I thought this guy will never make it. I was ever-so-slightly wrong about that.

One of the sport's true greats. Ultra professional and came across as a really classy guy too. I wish him and his family a happy and healthy retirement.

I hope his wife gets better.   Hancock was a top class rider but rarely took any chances which made him mundane to watch.   Gate and go.

29 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Most boring B)

Can’t agree with that. Ok, he was a fast hater, isn’t that what everyone wants to be - better chance of being successful in a race if you can gate, and he was rock steady - nowt wrong with that either.              
He. was/is a Legend, his feat will be hard to beat, still world class at 49, more world titles after he was 40 then after, he may well have been past his best but he could still show the younger ones the way.           
Will be interesting to see what he does in the future within speedway.         
Hope things work out right within his family.

Thanks Greg for all the great nights celebrating your unbelievable career. 

For the years at Cradley Heath, where you and Billy gave us fantastic performances  both home and away, particularly those unbelievable occasions at Monmore Green against Ronnie and Sam. 

No one will ever match your Grand Prix records. In the top six for 15 consecutive years.  Not 1, not 2 but count them 3, world titles after the age of 40. No one had done that once before you!

Ignore the idiots who call you boring or overrated. The silent vast majority of speedway fans recognised you for what you have been. One of the sports greatest ambassadors 

• Like 3