British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Greg Hancock - happy retirement

As I said before it looks that way. Why else would Smolinski be looking for a new mechanic for GP's etc at the end of January-start of Feb and also in the Poland/Czech area.......

• Like 2

His comments caused a bit of debate, with some saying ‘what planet is he on?’ And others asking ,what is he supposed to say ? ‘I’ll be happy if I don’t finish last’ !!!

• Like 3

If you go into an task with a negative attitude, the likely thing is that you will fail. Have a positive attitude, and surround yourself with others who are positive then you have a better chance of succeeding. Smoli is doing it right, investing in new engines and fresh mechanics. Would be nice if he did what he did in the final of the NZ Gp few years ago..... that would lite up the forum.

• Like 2

Smolinski has to have ambition and he will try very hard.    Doubt he is good enough for top 10 but you cant hold anything agaunst him for effort and having ambition.

• Like 4

All the best for a happy future for your family Greg.

And Smoli.

Good luck with your promoted status. 

At least Smoli does his best to Promote the sport in a positive way and seems to able to attract Sponsors and comes across in aProfessional manner.Good luck to him.

• Like 3

Was robbed by a stupid flagman in the GP Challenge so justice is kind of served

On 2/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, therefused said:

Most overrated rider ever 

Well, i guess he is probably the worst 4 times world champ of all time....

I think if anything he is under rated, 4 world titles but few would include him when discussing the top 10 riders of all time.

Not my favourite rider, nor impressed with his reactions to a couple of incidents on last few years, but still think he's for the most part a genuinely nice guy, and a true speedway legend. Wishing him a well deserved and happy retirement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Well, i guess he is probably the worst 4 times world champ of all time....

I think if anything he is under rated, 4 world titles but few would include him when discussing the top 10 riders of all time.

Not my favourite rider, nor impressed with his reactions to a couple of incidents on last few years, but still think he's for the most part a genuinely nice guy, and a true speedway legend. Wishing him a well deserved and happy retirement. 

I agree with all of that. It is very hard to overrate any rider who won four World titles!
The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after the era of Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen and Gollob was over, which, I guess, must mean something in where we rate him in the "Best Ever" category.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after.......

There's always two ways of looking at things eh? After the era you describe, Greg, at he age of 40, completely reinvents himself and goes on to win the WC, three more times. Not a bad comeback from total obscurity, one might say.

28 minutes ago, False dawn said:

There's always two ways of looking at things eh? After the era you describe, Greg, at he age of 40, completely reinvents himself and goes on to win the WC, three more times. Not a bad comeback from total obscurity, one might say.

So, just coincidence then?;)

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I agree with all of that. It is very hard to overrate any rider who won four World titles!
The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after the era of Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen and Gollob was over, which, I guess, must mean something in where we rate him in the "Best Ever" category.

Was never a fan racing wise but he was always great with the fans had time for a chat and his record speaks for itself.Hope he has a great retirement and hopefully stays involved in the sport in one way or another. Ricko, Crump, Gollob, Pedersen, Hancock , it would be interesting to see how fans rated Greg in amongst that great lot.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Was never a fan racing wise but he was always great with the fans had time for a chat and his record speaks for itself.Hope he has a great retirement and hopefully stays involved in the sport in one way or another. Ricko, Crump, Gollob, Pedersen, Hancock , it would be interesting to see how fans rated Greg in amongst that great lot.

Have to say Sid he was a great exponent of the lost art of team riding a colleague home (certainly what I saw of him whilst riding for Oxford) unlike some others that I could mention...Rickardsson in particular!

• Like 1